How low do you go?

(42 Posts)
HellesBelles396 Sat 02-Feb-13 11:15:47

It is 3C here today but sunny (well winter-sunny IFKWIM) - is it too cold to put washing out and expect it to dry?

What is the coldest you have put out washing at?

I think it comes from growing up in damp houses and having to put on damp clothes some mornings sad

CremeEggThief Sat 02-Feb-13 19:26:13

Whispers, glad it's not just me smile.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sat 02-Feb-13 19:27:21

I put clothes out today. It was bright and sunny here but still cold. They weren't totally dry when I brought them back in but they'd had a good start. And it means they'll need less time on the clothes horse to finish off. I have a combined washer/dryer but very rarely use the dryer.

specialsubject Sat 02-Feb-13 20:13:46

the American thing is scary. Bill Bryson rants about the unwatched bars in TVs, the lights left on all night and so on (and parts of the UK are as bad) but to use a drier because it LOOKS BAD to hang out washing?

just made up the bed with the clean bedding, first outside drying in a few weeks. Smells lovely! (and no, I don't have a tumble drier)

landofsoapandglory Sat 02-Feb-13 20:17:42

I put some bits out, that can't go on the tumble drier, yesterday. They smelt lovely when they were ironed today.

I love the smell of outdoor dried washing!

Leafmould Sat 02-Feb-13 20:27:29

Mrs tiggywinkle says if the yard or pavement is dry, put it out. But if the ground is not drying, then your clothes will not dry either.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 02-Feb-13 20:28:30

My reasons for not hanging out washing have nothing to do with how I think it looks. I'm just not in the habit of doing it.

It may sound absurd to think it looks bad, but to put it into some perspective: until very, very recently, energy in America was quite cheap and people didn't really worry about carbon footprints until recently, either. Nearly everyone in America could afford to own a dryer and to run a dryer. Dryers make clothes fluffy and soft and less wrinkled and there was really no reason why anybody wouldn't just use a dryer.

If someone hung out clothes, it was probably because they couldn't afford a dryer and those would pretty much be only the poorest people. When I saw a clothes line, I assumed that was an impoverished household and I felt a bit embarrassed for them, having to hang their personal possessions for all the world to see like that.

Obviously, things are very different here. I see clothes lines outside even the very nicest houses in the poshest neighbourhoods. It's a cultural preference to hang clothes out on a line.

hotbot Sat 02-Feb-13 20:57:09

There is nothing fresher than hung out to dry clothes, I hate using the dryer!

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 02-Feb-13 21:20:21

I've grown to like the smell, but I still prefer to tumble dry. It's a cultural thing, I guess.

HellesBelles396 Sat 02-Feb-13 22:21:52

the fluffy and uncreased reasons are why I miss having a drier. to be fair, when I had one, I lived in a fourth floor flat with a baby and storage heaters so it was the only practical way to set clothes. I do get quite a lot of satisfaction from seeing my clothes on the line but, because I'm at work all day, I worry about putting washing out at 7am in case it rains while I'm out. I wouldn't do that until it's light at 7am and light at 6pm anyway.

BerylStreep Sat 02-Feb-13 23:43:46

Katy, that is really interesting.

BTW, can anyone explain fluffy and uncreased in a dryer for me? Any time I use my dryer, my clothes are vv creased. I take them out of the dryer straight away, but they are always the same.

craftycottontail Sun 03-Feb-13 00:30:22

I tend not to put mine outside until it feels like Spring!

I use a clothes horse when I do though as don't have a line - if you don't like to get cold hands could hang out the washing inside on the horse then just move it outside.

HellesBelles396 Sun 03-Feb-13 09:30:29

my friend does that in her car port - she has a wooden airer though - no risk of flying away.

you might be leaving them in the drier too long - does it have a dryness sensor?

loverofwine Sun 03-Feb-13 09:35:01

I've got a cover for my line. it's like a little tent so you can hang stuff out even if it is raining or possibility of rain. it's bloody brilliant.

BoffinMum Sun 03-Feb-13 09:50:08

Beryl, you need to halve the amount of clothes you are putting in there, so three is room for them to spread out while drying.

Mine goes out in all temps if it is sunny and there aren't showers about. If its cloudy or the humidity is high I don't put it out until it is warmer.

Even if it doesn't dry all the way getting rid of some of the moisture is a good thing.

Mrstiggywinkle sounds very wise indeed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now