How often do u open the windows?

(43 Posts)
Canihavesomemore Thu 31-Jan-13 16:30:52

Just that really. I air out the flat when I do my Sunday clean... Sometimesblush Ds's room has always been particularly damp, today I opened the storage cupboard in Ds's room to find it full of mold! All over his spare push hair and a couple of my going out dresses. Called the estate agent who came around and said you obviously don't air the flat out enough hmm realistically, how often is enough and do u do it?

DeathMetalMum Sat 02-Feb-13 09:19:39

Trickle vents opened daily. Bathroom and kitchen open when cooking and after baths. Also keep the bathroom fan running all day after a bath.

I try and open other windows when I remember our bedroom is usually 5/7 days for most of the day, dd's room at least weekly. We have nor long moved from a very damp flat so I am paranoid about the same happening here. I dry clothes on an airer in the dining area in the daytime if I need too and hang tshirts on the curtain rails in front of either the trickle vent or an open window they dry v quickly.

PigletJohn No we don't have a fan - and the wiring is currently not able to support one.

PigletJohn Sat 02-Feb-13 17:02:38

a typical bathroom fan uses about 20Watts (less than a filament light bulb) so is usually connected to the bathroom lamp rose. However, if not already wired in, yes, you would need an electrician to provide the connection (regulations apply to bathrooms).

I was going to suggest hanging the wet washing in the bathroom and using the extractor to take the water vapour outside, but not applicable as you haven't got one sad so the wet washing is going to be a problem.

MousyMouse Sat 02-Feb-13 17:13:25

bedroom windows are opened mornings for about 20 min while we get ready and 20 mins in the evenings before bed. we also leave the wardrobes open a bit during that time.
bathroom windows after bath/shower. kitchen after cooking.
no damp despite drying washing indoors (no tumble dryer). but on airers, never on the radiators.

HindsightisaMarvellousThing Sat 02-Feb-13 17:39:13

I've got leaky old single pane sash windows, so we get a draught through anyway.

I air upstairs every day, usually fora minimum of 30 minutes. Downstairs windows and doors are open a lot - we have 3 dogs and I am concerned about smells. I don't dry washing indoors either.

We only have some form of rising damp in the shoddily built bits of the house that predate damp courses.

Pagwatch Sat 02-Feb-13 17:41:20

My bedroom window is open over night.
Rest of the house has the windows opened on each floor for at least an hour each day.

GobblersKnob Sat 02-Feb-13 17:41:57

Everyday and bedroom window open all night, every night.

oldebaglady Sat 02-Feb-13 17:43:50

every day, for a few hours, however not the ones directly beside the dampest walls as the damp is caused by warm wet air hitting cold walls so don't want those walls to get colder so in winter its the windows that have radiators under them mainly, and in summer I do open the windows by the walls tending to get most damp but only in the morning so that the sun will heat the walls in the afternoon IYKWIM

- made a huge difference, when I used to open the windows nearest the damp the damp got much worse! Now we do air daily but only certain windows

CointreauVersial Sat 02-Feb-13 17:47:40

Never open our windows in the winter - it's too blooming cold! The house is pretty large and open plan, and we never get any condensation.

Bumblequeen Sat 02-Feb-13 18:05:00

I open bedroom windows daily, bathroom window is cracked open permanently, kitchen window is opened whenever I cook and for 30 mins after. I find carpets hold smells so rooms need to be aired well.

I can tell instantly if someone does not air their home- the air is stifling.

Bumblequeen Sat 02-Feb-13 18:08:52

Rooms smell of windows are not opened. Think back to the time you entered a meeting room straight after a team had used it- stale breath and body odours all mixed in the air.

Bumblequeen Sat 02-Feb-13 18:09:30

if

Pagwatch Sat 02-Feb-13 18:10:34

My house is pretty big and we don't get condensation but I need fresh air in the house.
I hate fugginess.

acsec Sat 02-Feb-13 18:12:27

Bedroom window open all the time when we're home (unless it's Baltic!), likewise bathroom. DSS' open on weekend during the day. Kitchen open when I'm cooking, lounge open now and then as if kitchen and lounge windows both open there's a terrible draught.

Imflabulous Sat 02-Feb-13 18:15:39

Everyday, after I make beds I open all windows and then if its really cold I close after school run, other wise after a couple of hours.

Kitchen window open and closed all day depending on cooking, tumbler on etc

Vents always open.

CointreauVersial Sat 02-Feb-13 18:18:09

But it's too cold.

yuleheart Sat 02-Feb-13 18:26:56

Every day,
Our bedroom window is open on the first notch all year round (hardy northerner)
Back door and patio door are usually open all day in summer.

Blackden I spray insect spray round the open window frames inside and out and have conkers mixed in my bowl of 'pebbly twiggy' stuff as spiders hate the smell of conkers (apparently).
Last year I put an artistic pile of then near the front and back doors thinking they would act as a secondary deterrent but the local squirrel ate them!

PigletJohn We're in the process of getting a quote for re-wiring, as we've had two electric showers burn out the wiring - one caught fire whilst I was in it <outs self massively>

There's nothing in this house that's straight, or built properly. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now