oven tray advice - mine don't last!

(52 Posts)
Jemster Thu 31-Jan-13 10:21:06

Hi
I need a couple of oven trays but can't find anything that lasts more than a few weeks. They end up looking dirty even after washing with burnt bits on and a horrible greasy smell. Do I buy non stick or if not what do I use to stop everything sticking? In fact even when I buy non stick things still stick!! I'm wasting so much money on trays that end up having to be chucked out.

Jemster Sat 02-Feb-13 19:58:08

I wouldn't care if they looked black if they didn't stink the whole house out when I put the oven on to heat up. All the old crap and mostly grease residue heats up and smells gross. I don't really like the idea of putting my kids tea on top of that stinking gunk!
If I do fishfingers the buggers will stick so I have to hack them off. If I use oil they get too soggy.
I think foil from now on every time is the answer. Should have just done that in the first place.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 03-Feb-13 08:36:27

Oh. Mine don't smoke or smell. They just look bad.

WannabeWilloughby Sun 03-Feb-13 09:23:58

Yeah, TheDetective...im sure the cheaper brands are called wrapping foil and it says not for cooking with. x

WhateverTrevor Sun 03-Feb-13 10:56:47

I always use foil, thought everyone did.

Selks Sun 03-Feb-13 11:46:08

Eh? Lost here. What does it matter what baking trays look like, as long as they're clean? Amazed that some people get rid of them because they discolour - how wasteful.

MerryCouthyMows Sun 03-Feb-13 11:47:26

Enamel ones from Wilko's. Or anywhere. If you want them to last, pay a bit more and get enamelled ones.

MerryCouthyMows Sun 03-Feb-13 11:50:43

And yes, use tin foil. As an aside - you put your fish fingers in the oven?!

Don't they go all hard and crispy? Bleurgh!

I like mine grilled.

dizzy77 Sun 03-Feb-13 11:52:30

I've got a motley collection too. Oddly seem to come out of the dishwasher in a worst state than they went in so I tend to hand wash most often, making sure the water is still hot & the suds effective (not always a given if its the last thing I wash).

I did invest in some non-stick liner from Lakeland which I cut to size for my most commonly used ones, this was a labour of love (& ££ upfront) but considered it would save me on foil/non-stick paper in the long run. I don't use it if I'm doing something that needs the grease tho which would just get trapped under - its my mermaid hard anodised brownie pan for goose fat roasties.

savemefromrickets Sun 03-Feb-13 11:56:31

Scour TKMaxx for Mermaid ones, you can use metal utensils on them and they clean up well. It's even better if you use a silicone liner which you can bung in the dishwasher!!

exBrightonBell Sun 03-Feb-13 12:23:49

I second the Mermaid hard anodised range, they don't get blackened and you can properly scrub them. Mine still look brand new!

Jemster Sun 03-Feb-13 12:26:25

Selks as I said higher up mine aren't just discoloured, they have old food burnt & welded on to them and they stink of burnt grease when they are reheated. That may be why I end up throwing them out as I don't think that is hygienic to eat off. I'm looking for something that will not stink of burnt grease and that will get clean but not bothered if it gets discoloured.

ISeeSmallPeople Sun 03-Feb-13 12:28:16

Thick tray that fits the oven. I have £20 analon ones & £4 tesco ones. Both good.
Non stick teflon liners cut to exact sir. I get my liners from £shop.
Both go in dishwasher.

Jemster Sun 03-Feb-13 12:28:34

I put the ff in the oven (as it says on packet) so I can do something else and not stand over the grill for 15 mins. They dont go hard, they just stick to the bloody crap baking tray. I'll be using foil from now on.

goodmum123 Sun 03-Feb-13 23:23:25

Agree with ruddy, just use Pyrex now as cheap and expensive trays do not last or clean properly

notcitrus Sun 03-Feb-13 23:34:55

I always soak with washing up liquid before dishwashing. But only enamelled ones hold up - Prestige and other light ones warp and rust.

Amazed at people using tinfoil all the time - must cost a fortune?!

gemma4d Mon 04-Feb-13 20:16:15

I use a pan scraper - a plastic disk with sharp(ish) edges - soak baking tray in soapy hot water and scrape. Try not to slosh water everywhere. Job done. I got it from ebay but previously got them from Lakeland.

My baking tray is old, discoloured, but clean.

LoonyRationalist Mon 04-Feb-13 20:20:49

Another vote for vitreous enamel, I have 3, the oldest is at least 8 years old and still perfect.
Scrub with wire scourer thing to get clean.

shock at cooking everything on foil from me too, that would be really expensive no?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 04-Feb-13 20:28:29

I have given up, I just use my wrecked trays with baking parchment on top now.

Ninetyninepercent Mon 04-Feb-13 20:40:35

Definitely hard anodised Mermaid - on the expensive end, but well worth it. Don't buckle if you use heat under them for making gravy in the pan (won't work with induction though....sobs). Food doesn't stick. Easy to clean as its sort of non-stick, can clean with more heavy duty scrubbers for stubborn grease. Have had 2 for almost 10 years and, whilst not pristine, in very good nick. Definintely worth it.

Also just bought some Circulon cake tins for little Yorkshire puds......fantastic. Cheap Yorkie tins are the bane of my life, before I bought this one!!!!

Having said that....I have tins from my DH's gran - so goodness knows how old they are and they have been seasoned well grease baked on since the dawn of time and they are some of my favourite tins!

If its smoking and smelly when you put them in the oven then you've still got too much residual oil/grease left on them from washing up. Before I wash greasy tins I squirt neat washing up liquid in them, lightly scrub until the fat emulsifies and the liquid goes cloudy, then rinse and wash as normal. Otherwise you're always left with a residue of grease.

Ninetyninepercent Mon 04-Feb-13 20:44:54

BTW a friend of mine uses tin foil and the tin foil just sticks to the food and rips as she removes stuff. Going to get her a good tin for her birthday <boring, but practical friend>

IDreamedADreamOfSausageRolls Mon 04-Feb-13 21:24:12

Does it matter if oven trays don't last? I buy mine from the pound shop and replace them every few months or whenever they get unbearably skanky/warped. Is that bad? blush

CaptainNancy Mon 04-Feb-13 21:56:42

Mine are darkened but clean (i.e. no food bits <<shudder>>).
I always leave them to soak in the sink in hot water with washing up liquid in, almost everything comes off that way, occasionally a pan scrubber (plastic) thingy is needed 9ikea have them, probably far cheaper than lakeland).

My lakeland (double layer, fancy non-stick affair) is dying and only 3yo, whereas my 50p Spoils special is still going on strong after 17 years!

Whydobabiescry Mon 04-Feb-13 22:01:02

I've got some good old fashioned enamelled ones, they're great you can scuba them without worrying about non stick coatings coming off and you can bung them in the dishwasher. They are lovey and study and everything cooks well on them - oh and I have an enamel lidded roasting dish that works well and is easy to clean as well.

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Mon 04-Feb-13 22:09:54

I have 2 really old, cheap, baking sheets, with the non-stick wearing off, which are brilliant.

I also have 2 newer, more expensive, thick, heavy, baking trays from Lakeland that are crap. Now, I'm not usually one to bad mouth any Lakeland product (sorry Lakeland! I do love you really!) but the food just sticks fast to them and I have to chip them off with a wooden spatula.

confused

bacon Tue 05-Feb-13 14:41:28

Mine are black too but have no concerns. I also buy a few Mermaids. Remember that some are not meant to be used in dishwasher, it ruins the aluminium coating because of the salt.

Doesnt anyone use those reuseable baking sheets??? - I have two types, one is like thin plastic and the other is more of a thick plastic. Both are great and stops frozen foods sticking to the sheet. I wouldnt worry about non-stick as your not supposed to scratch them once you do they get ruined. I too have warped ones and posh ones but I'm not losing sleep over it nor buying more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now