February Fledglings FLYing High

(594 Posts)

Welcome to the February Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

thanks to SC for leading us through January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted grin.

So come along in and park your dusters ready for Feb!

SilveryMoon Fri 22-Feb-13 18:55:34

Toffee I'm 31. I've been learning to drive on and off sine I turned 17! It's by far been the hardest journey. I really don't like to do things I'm not good at, and have the kind of "I can't do it, so I won't even try attitude" so it's been a real struggle to see it through.
It's going to open up a whole new world for us though. Gonna be great not having to ask dp to take us places.

Lilleth I keep typing out these messages to you but then read it back and they all sound very unhelpful. I'm not ignoring your problem, I just don't know what to say to help. sad Hope you can sort something out.

No flying here today. Well, I did the morning routine and half the evening one.
Dp did the ironing whilst I was out this morning (he did everybody else's but mine [angry) so just need to get back on track over the weekend ready for a return to work on monday sad

LillethTheCat Fri 22-Feb-13 19:02:54

Its fine Silvery I just wish I could have more disposable income myself IYSWIM. I can have anything I want (within reason), but just got to go through DH ATM. Once I get a job he will lose some of the benefits he gets and it will be the other way round.

Could be worse. Once upon a time I got into a bit of debt and shut my bank account so used his while I sorted out my payments. Im now out of debt, but have no money anyway.

Hurray, we made it through half term! It’s been family fun day a day early here. We spent the day out at the Dinosaur Park, which was fab although incredibly cold and often snowing. Fortunately there’s an indoor soft play area where we could retreat to warm up…

No flying as a result, but as someone Going wisely said, if you’re not in, you can’t make a mess!

Now to catch up with everyone else.

Cuddled was having a mountaineering day at home today, tackling the north face of the laundry and the filing system.

Jdub was freezing but intending to gain control of her house.

SpecialCircumstances joined us – welcome!

Bitchy was having another PJ day.

Silvery passed her driving test! Congratulations!! grin Sorry to hear things still tense at home though.

WhoKnows had a lazy day but still got some tidying and odd jobs done – sounds good to me.

Lilleth was feeling CBA and having money worries. sad Hope things improve for you.

Toffee had a lovely day swimming and librarying and suchlike. Sounds great.

Going has been keeping fit, exploring and spending time with her DH all at once.

No mission tomorrow as it’s the weekend – Family Fun Day to be precise.

Babystep is to add an afternoon routine

Off to collapse into bed shortly, but have a lovely weekend everyone.

SilveryMoon Sat 23-Feb-13 10:46:39

Morning all.

Gotta get back on it, what with holidays over.
List
Make beds
Shower/dress
Swish/swipe
Clear breakfast away
Empty rubbish
Laundry
Clean litter trays
Menu plan/shopping list
Food shop
Go to friends this afternoon
Change beds
Dust/polish
Clean glass shelves/mirrors etc
Hoover
Mop
Ironing

Best get cracking!

I have a little issue. Before Christmas a friend of mine invited me to a house party to celebrate her dh's birthday. It's next Saturday. I went last year.
I have been trying to get out with another friend of mine since November. We both have dc's and struggle to find babysitters and spare money at the same time. I have managed to get my dad to have the boys for this night we have planned and me and my friend are really looking forward to it. It's next Saturday.
Bugger.
The first friend messaged me last night to find out if I'd found a babysitter for Saturday, I was a bit confused, thought I must have mentioned going out with my other friend and she said "we'll have fun saturday"
What? She reminds me of her party and I realise I've double booked. I tell her and she says it's no big deal as I've been trying to see this other friend for ages.
I know IABU to cancel her, but I'd rather go out with friend 2.
I think I'll have to tell her that we can't get babysitters on the same night for ages again and that friend 2 is really looking forward to it, and if I cancel her, she won't get to go out, whereas friend 1 will have a house load of people.
What do you reckon? Honestly.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 23-Feb-13 10:48:40

Blue and Goth - glad you had lovely family days out.

Silvery - well done for sticking at the driving. My mum learned in her 50s, so I think there's still hope for me.

Still fighting back against the CBAness that overwhelmed me earlier in the week. Was up till 1am this morning with sleepless DS1 (meds taken late, which affect his sleep), but luckily DS2 slept in till nearly 8am this morning. So far, my ta das include:

Healthy breakfasts (wholemeal bagels with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. Yum)
Washed up
Dried up and put away
Wiped kitchen surfaces
Tidied kitchen hotspot (5 mins - used the timer)
Put first load of washing on
Emptied kitchen bin
Put recycling out
Swept kitchen floor

Aiming to tackle various hotspots today and get DS2's school uniform and PE kit ready for Monday.

LillethTheCat Sat 23-Feb-13 11:07:39

Morning

Silvery do what you want to do. Esp as Friend 1 has already said its ok. Im assuming you can't take friend 2 with you to see friend 1. Personally I think Id rather go with friend 2.

Ive just realised that my house is actually still really messy. I went to put some clothes in DS's room and I could hardly move in it. Went into the DDs room and it was the same. Our bedroom isn't that tidy (though its not too bad) and the dining room is messy and needs tidying and cleaning. The kitchen needs something too. Im not even going to mention the cupboard under the stairs. I thought I was doing ok, but Im not. Think I might have to add 15mins into my daily routine. It might not be necessarily decluttering as per babystep 9 or Febs habit, but just 15 mins tidying and cleaning. Mon - Fri a different room every day. Mon - dining room, Tues - Kitchen, Wed - DS bedroom, Thurs - DDs bedroom and Fri - our bedroom. That sounds achievable doesn't it? By the end of April it will be much better and I will be in a routine. See Im feeling better already about it grin

Right so today's list

tada
- Make Beds
- Turn on Washing Machine
- put in 2nd load (its amazing how much washing there is that Ive been out a lot this week so Ive not done as much)
- Exercise bike (it was too snowy to drive to Parkrun plus there would have been icy patches on the run route)
- Sorted through DD1's outgrown clothes for DD2. There wasn't anything just yet, but in a few months she will have quite a bit more.

to do
- Dry laundry
- put laundry away
- wash up 2X
- Shine sink

The snow is coming down thick and fast here. Glad I dont have to be anywhere till Monday.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 23-Feb-13 19:05:13

I have been a whirling dervish today grin.

Decided to tackle DS2's bedroom and managed to ignore Flylady's (sensible) advice that you should only take out what you can put back within the hour, so ended up with a bedroom that looked like a carboot sale. However, I kept going and have managed to clear out a whole drawer, underneath the bed and underneath the chest of drawers, hoover the entire room, pack a boxful of books for the charity shop and throw away a bagful of junk grin.

Can't believe how much stuff DS2 had in his tiny room shock. Sadly, it doesn't look much different, but at least I know it's clean and tidy now.

The decluttering took all afternoon, but I fitted in a clearout and clean up of the fridge, as well as putting away the Ocado order and cooking dinner for all.

On a less positive note, DS1 noted that my tummy looked "fat" this afternoon sad. He's right too. Have been subject to many mischievous jokes since then hmm. I have always been slim, but have put on weight recently, thanks to taking Citalopram and getting less exercise. It's particularly galling because I have cut out sweets this week (substituted with fruit) and have been having a low-fat, healthy breakfast every day, but seem to have put on weight instead of losing it. Think I might have to join DH on next week's diet, which means no wine <sigh>.

Hope you have all had a good Saturday.

Cuddledup Sat 23-Feb-13 20:31:59

Quickly wandering in....
Silvery I'd go out with friend 2 - it sounds like more IMO. Congrats by the way on passing your test.
ta da
loads ! The house looks presentable smile

to do
make up a bed for DD's friend who's staying over
clean up kitchen for 3rd time today sad
get 2 overexcited little girls to bed! hmm
Go to bed at a decent hour - the best bit of the day IMO grin

Evening all.

Survived library and supermarket shopping en famille and then a birthday party with DS2 this afternoon. A bouncy castle, bubbles and balloons - what more could a load of sugar-filled 3-and-4-year-olds want?? Except it was freezing and went on for 3 hours... shock

Silvery - I'd go for seeing Friend 2 as well, esp. as Friend 1 has said she doesn't mind.

Toffee - your healthy breakfast sounds luvverly. Well done on sorting out DS2's room too.

Lilleth - 15 mins a day definitely sounds like a plan <wishes she could take own advice>

Cuddled - like your ta-da! list. smile

No mission again tomorrow as Sunday is Renew Your Spirit Day.

Babystep 24 is the vitally important Swish & Swipe.

SilveryMoon Sun 24-Feb-13 08:14:11

Morning
Lilleth Sounds like a plan. Have you looked at the 5 min room rescue? If 15 mins proves too much, have a look. I dropped this from my routine, but like it.
Toffee Well done on clearing that room out, sounds very satisfying.

Thanks for opinions on friends. I really want to go with friend 2. I get the impression that friend 1 said it was ok but didn't really mean it. This was over text so I'm going to call her later and have a chat.

Busy day today! I go back to work tomorrow so have to get this place in order.
List
Change bedsheets
Shower and dress
Swish and swipe
Clear breakfast away
Rubbish out
Laundry
Dust/polish
Glass shelves/mirrors
Wipe out fridge
Clear out bags
Hoover footwell in car
Hoover
Mop
Ironing
Make sandwiches for next week
Washing machine drawer
Homework
Get boys to put on pe kits, make sure they still fit!
Cook dinner
Clean kitchen
Lay out clothes
Shine sink
Bed early

Engelsemama Sun 24-Feb-13 08:52:08

Morning all! Sorry have been awol this week. First week back at school fater my sickly half term. Dh jas been home ill all week and DS is now in the middle of D&V bug.

House has kind of slipped by the wayside a bit, though washing is getting there and hoovered yesterday. Out of my routines a bit so am faced with washing up this morning.

Am going to spend today getting on top of things (as long as I manage to nto spend the whole day on MN). Still have a backlog of marking and quite a bit of planning to do for this week.

Was going to tidy up the garden a bti today, but ahve woken up to fins a blanket of snow (and it's still coming down) so house it is!

Continuing my Hairy Biker Pies love affair, we made the open chicken and pepper pie - delicious! (and have some leftover for lunch today!)

Haven't caught up with the whole thread.
sc very sorry to hear about MIL and the difficult time you're having.
silvery congrats on driving test.

To do...
Washing up
washing away
load of washing
tidy hotpots
do some marking while DS is asleep
hoover
tidy hallway
dismantle playpen
clean desktop so DH can take upstairs
check new trousers fit properly

LillethTheCat Sun 24-Feb-13 09:12:21

Morning.

Silvery Good idea about 5 mins. Will try 15 first though and relogate it to 5 mins if I find Im not doing it. Just had a thought about your friend situation. Friend 1 is having a party which will go ahead whether you are there or not, but friend 2 (Im assuming here) will end up staying in if you cancel and you've been trying for a while to get out with F2. Perhaps you could arrange to see F1 at a different time? Or can you pop by the party either before or after seenng F2?

tada
- Strip bed
- washing bedding

to do
- Wash up after breakfast
- Wash up further 2X
- Shine Sink
- 2nd load laundry
- Dry laundry and bedding
- remake bed
- put laundry away
- coursework 2X
- long bath

Not going for a run today as its still snowing slightly and Im worried about icy bits. Dont want to fall over and its not like I have to go out (ie as though its a job or anything)

Hope you all have a good day

SilveryMoon Sun 24-Feb-13 09:30:10

Yes, Lilleth I can't really do both on the same night. One is in Woking, the other in Putney. I live by Heathrow.
We (me, dp and the boys) were supposed to be meeting friend 1 and her husband for lunch today (we do it every 8 weeks or so) which I had to cancel friday because funds are too low.
I speak and see friend 1 a fair bit and we have a very relaxed relationship. I'm sure she'll be fine.

TEACHERS My son's school is about to go into special measures. Should I be concerned, so does this mean that the place will be given a kick up the arse and improve?

Hi
Quick question- what's the difference between 'ta da' and 'to do'?
Thanks!
Oh an congratulations to SilverMoon on passing your test- it took me four times (two for the theory!) but I'm so glad I stuck with it!

LillethTheCat Sun 24-Feb-13 13:34:36

Special Ta da is stuff Ive done. To do is stuff I still need to do.

GoingGoingGoth Sun 24-Feb-13 17:22:35

Hello all, missed a couple of days, thanks to the re-occurring sore throat mixed with a bit of CBA.

Did the Family Fun Day with DD yesterday, by taking her to the cinema. And definitely RenewedMy Spirit with a lovely long lie-in this morning.

Done
Morning routines
Daily laundry
Gave bathroom good clean today -just for the hell of it hmm

To do
Complete ironing pile
Wash up & shine sink

SilveryMoon Sun 24-Feb-13 18:43:33

List
Change bedsheets done
Shower and dress done
Swish and swipe done
Clear breakfast away done
Rubbish out done
Laundry done
Dust/polish done
Glass shelves/mirrors done
Wipe out fridge done
Clear out bags done
Hoover done
Mop done
Ironing
Make sandwiches for next week
Washing machine drawer done
Homework done
Get boys to put on pe kits, make sure they still fit! done
Cook dinner done
Clean kitchen done
Lay out clothes done
Shine sink done
Bed early

I went to the petrol station about an hour ago and nearly took out the cash machine! Whoopsie. Not good.

Back to work tomorrow sad I don't want to!
Hope everyone's had a good day smile

LillethTheCat Sun 24-Feb-13 19:40:44

Ooh I do like that Sunday night feeling. The relaxation I feel after its all done, the clean feeling of bath and clean bed sheets (I do wash during the week, but it's only Sundays I have a bath)

Got to go back to my Business and Admin course tomorrow. I really dont want to, but I can see why I should (it can only improve my CV and chances of getting a job) Im just finding it a right PITA. Mainly as the teaching of it has been all over the place. The tutor says she has been teaching us at a level past level 2, but we are doing level 1. Could she not have just taught us level 1 and saved level 2 till we are actually on it? Also we do one module, do another, then a third and back to the first again. There has been no order to the teaching.

We have to say tomorrow if we want to carry on with level 1 till July and get a certificate or progress to level 2. I really dont want to do either. Im thinking of doing level 2 as it will give me work experience (though I was told I would get this in Jan yet it hasn't materialised yet) Yes it will be harder work and I will have to do more than my few hours a week, but as Im not working surely it will just be like Im working if I put in the same hours. Though there's a reason why I dont want to work at home (Im not very good at pulling myself away from what I want to do)

Sorry to offload a bit there, just thoughts coming out and having a whinge about the course I have to do tomorrow.

Anyway to the lists

tada
- Strip bed
- washing bedding
- Wash up further 3X
- Shine Sink
- 2nd load laundry
- Dry laundry and bedding
- remake bed
- put laundry away
- coursework 2X
- long bath

Tomorrow's list
- Make my bed
- Strip DCs beds
- Wash bedding
- Dry Bedding
- Remake beds
- Wash up 3X
- Shine Sink
- Fill washing machine for Tues
- 15 mins Dining room
- Business course

Hope everyone is having a good evening and ready for the week ahead.

SilveryMoon Sun 24-Feb-13 19:53:05

Lilleth Sorry to hear you're not happy with the course. Sounds like you might as well go onto level 2...........

I need to do the ironing. I hate ironing

Honu Sun 24-Feb-13 21:23:52

I am BORED with housework. BORED, BORED, BORED!

I can keep the washing under control with very little effort and hoped that flying would get the rest sorted, but this doesn't seem to be happening. Too much of my life seems to be taken up with keeping everything going, not leaving enough time for what I want to do. It's probably because things aren't properly sorted after everything being piled high for the extension and I'm so slow and rubbish at sorting and find that very wearing and stressful, so the actual housework is inefficient. Regardless of the reason, I'm fed up with it!

Lilith have you tried doing the coursework somewhere other than at home? When DS1 had guitar lessons and needed picking up after an hour, instead of going home I took a stash of marking to the library and did it there. Because there were no distractions I found I was much more focussed, got a lot done, and wasn't so fed up with having to drive to the lessons.

Silvery - that's a good list you've got through today. Hope the return to work isn't too stressful.

Honu- I know what you mean about finding sorting stressful. The Fat Fairy's tip about not getting out more than you can put back in an hour is a good one though, and I hope to put it into practice once the bathroom's done and I can reclaim the study/office/spare room.

Lilleth sorry your course is so stressful too.

Going - glad you've managed family fun AND to renew your spirit. smile Sounds like a good w/e.

Special - yes, as Lilleth said, a "Ta da!" list is for things that have been done. Sometimes it helps to see things written down and realise that you've done more than you think, IYSWIM.

Engelse - sorry to hear about nasty bugs to deal with. Get well soon to your DH and DS. My DS1 has taken a liking to pie so although it's not something I normally think of cooking, I might have to add it to the repertoire - anything that'll increase the variety of things the boys will eat has to be good, even if I have to skip the pastry myself!

Babystep 25 is another reading one.

Monday is House Bleugh Day and we are moving into the living room for the beginning of the week.

Mission is living room hotspots.

I realised from the sneak peek that February is nearly over. Anyone fancy taking over the thread for March?

Hope everyone has a good week.

SilveryMoon Mon 25-Feb-13 06:49:14

I can do March unless someone else wants to. Need some extra incentive to keep me on track!

feetheart Mon 25-Feb-13 07:07:00

Morning everyone. Cold grey-looking Monday here and all back to normal today

Silvery - not a teacher but DC's school has just come out of Special Measures. No time now but I'll fill you in as much as I can later. IMHO it has been the best thing for the school so don't panic.

To do:
- All up and out with right kit/bags/instruments/cakes/etc
- Call in to surrogate granny
- Phone Baker Ross to find out details and finish order for School Assoc Mother's Day crafts
- Order envelopes for the above
- Write report
- Home bleurgh - reclaim house from half-term/birthday madness (both DD's and DH's birthdays last week - I am now the mother of a 10 year old shock)
- Book order for School Assoc
- Bank School Assoc money

So it seems to be a house reclamation/School Assoc day hmm

Back later

SilveryMoon Mon 25-Feb-13 07:41:53

Thanks feet.
I'm all ready for work and have 20 mins so might do the mission now.
I'm hoping to get where I can do mission or detail in morning before work

Snowgirl1 Mon 25-Feb-13 09:00:45

<slinks quietly back onto thread after a few days of CBA-ness> I was going to say I won't read back and see what everyone's been up to while I've been off the thread as it'll make me feel guilty, but I've just seen Silvery's post above mine saying she plans to do the mission or detail in the morning shock. I need to get up 10 mins earlier just to get out the house on time!

Done (I've given up calling them 'ta da' lists as they're so short as not to be worthy of being called 'ta da')
Up, showered, out
Bed made
Sandwiches made

To do
Empty dishwasher
Put a load of washing on
Fold dry washing
15 mins declutter front room
Vacuum front room and landing
Tidy desk
Send out email to organise a mum's night out
Make tomorrow's sandwiches (in an attempt to get out of house on-time tomorrow)
Shine sink
S&S

BBL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now