February Fledglings FLYing High

(594 Posts)

Welcome to the February Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

thanks to SC for leading us through January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted grin.

So come along in and park your dusters ready for Feb!

Jamillalliamilli Tue 19-Feb-13 22:30:41

Blue you do help actually. thanks

superfluouscurves Tue 19-Feb-13 22:32:53

Happy Birthday to your ds tomorrow Lileth!!

Waves to Bitchy Just Castle Blue Silvery Goth Engels Feetheart Jdub Honu Snow Cuddledup Whoknows Ellie Lplate and everyone else I've missed

superfluouscurves Tue 19-Feb-13 22:34:10

Managed to miss Toffee and Blue¨there [sorry - cream crackered tonight] must go to bed!

Evening all,

SC so sorry to hear about your MIL, and so soon after your DM too <hugs>.

Just - you are sounding a bit more upbeat again, good for you.

Lilleth - my only tips really for the cycling are that they've got to want to do it, that has been the main obstacle for DS so far, try on grass first, preferably with a bit of a slope, and make sure the bike is the right size, saddle right down and in full working order before you start.

Thank you everyone who has said kind words about DS and the cycling.

Not much Flying, been at work all day, but did spend 15 mins making a chart for the DCs new regime of chores which I am planning to unleash at the weekend. Also decluttered some old cookery books by finding the few recipes from them that I do use online and printing them out/pinning them on Pinterest, then putting them in the charity pile.

Night all.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 20-Feb-13 00:10:47

<waves wings pathetically>

<flops into naughty corner>

Too tired to post. Too tired to fly. Hope you are all ok. Night.

SilveryMoon Wed 20-Feb-13 05:47:42

Morning. So I did a load of washing last night but failed to take it out of machine. Iwoke 20 mins ago thinking I'll put it on a rinse so it'll be ready to take out and hand when we get up. The machine is loud! I'm now laying here hoping it doesn't wake anyone else up.

Another failed flying day yesterday, the only thing I did was morning routine and a bit of ironing. Really need to get on it, have done nothing in bedroom at all yet.

Have a driving lesson today and also hoping dp will agree to come out to practice some manouvers.
Told boys we'd go to the park too.
Am thinking about taking them to the science museum or something tomorrow just for something different but everything like that will be packed won't it?

Today I will clean that light shade, if nothing else

GoingGoingGoth Costa Rica Wed 20-Feb-13 12:37:54

Hallloooooo <echos ominously>

Leaves brew & biscuits in naughty corner.

done
Beds
Windows
Dd to school
Shopping
Signed on
Put dried washing away
Laundry on

* to do*
Go to school for sex ed/ relationship parent's briefing eek! I want to be prepared for any questions that may crop up, not that I ever asked my DMum blush
Collect DD
Dinner etc...

I hope you are lucky Goth. ds has no problems with asking me any questions. Any questions at all hmm

ta da
deal with one meeting
deal with child who had a melt down
Take pain killers
Just about off to another meeting

LillethTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 13:18:17

Hi everyone, just a quick catch up to see where Im at

tada
- make beds
- Turn on washing machine
- 2nd load
- Dry laundry
- Give DS birthday presents and cards (have got him a wallet to put his money in)
- Wash up 2X

to do
- put laundry away
- fill washing machine just in case we're home earlyish Thurs or if not for Fri morning
- Wash up after tea
- Shine Sink
- go for a run/exercise bike. (problem is it looks so bleak and cold outside today, but Id rather run than bike so Im going to go in a bit. I will feel better for it trying to tell myself more than telling anyone else )

Good luck with the talk Goth I feel like I wont have long before I get the questions. I never asked my parents anything either.

Thanks for the tip Whoknows The good thing is he does want to learn, but he gets so frustrated at not being able to steer very well and gets upset with himself.

BBL

Jamillalliamilli Wed 20-Feb-13 14:55:48

Grabs brew says thanks Goth, good luck, mine's another there is no question that can't be asked, (including the one involving baked beans!) waves manically, and attempts to make to PO and storage in time.

Baked beans just? <dreads ds becoming a teenager>

SilveryMoon Wed 20-Feb-13 16:08:11

Afternoon.
When I was growing up, there was no conversation that couldn't be had or question that couldn't be asked. That didn't mean we did ask of course <cringe at talking to the 'rents about sex>
Got all of this to come!

Had a driving lesson this morning which was ok. I cannot for the life of me reverse around a corner, so you know they're going to make me do that on the test.
Was going to ask dp if we could spend some time doing that tomorrow, but I'm not now.
When I got back, he decided we should take boys to McD's for lunch and said I could drive. Great. But he always talks to me like I'm some sort of cunt. Not just when I'm driving, but all of the time actually and I've had e-fucking-nough of it. Wanker.
I really do not like him at times. He talks to the ds's like crap sometimes as well which makes me want to fucking punch him.
Not putting up with any more of his shit!

Anyway, the boys are cutting and sticking with old Christmas cards so I thought I'd take the chance to catch up on some studying.
I'm feeling guilty about not doing the mission or any detailed cleaning though. I just don't want to, not feeling it, you know?

Right, back to the notes. Hope everyone is having a good day.

GoingGoingGoth Costa Rica Wed 20-Feb-13 16:30:53

Silvery in a way I'm pleased to hear you say that about your DP, DH can be an absolute arsehole somedays, it's the mansplaining thing. FGS I'm older than him, we have the same degree, and I've worked longer than him, I'm not an idiot. (Vent over, and he's been good today!)

Talk went well at school, was mainly explaining how Glasgow City set up this curriculum, it focuses on healthy bodies/relationships/personal awareness and how sex fits in. Seems quite straight forward. Not just the biology, which is how I was taught. So embarrassing <rolls eyes teenager style>

Just at the risk of sounding out of touch, what's the baked bean thing? Daren't google.

SilveryMoon Wed 20-Feb-13 16:47:50

That's it Goth he talks to me like I'm stupid. I'm not stupid. Ok, I have no academic qualifications (barring a few low level GCSE's - more than him though) but I am not stupid, and don't deserve to be spoken to like I am.
He just has no care or respect (or so it seems).
I posted on that 'who actually loves their dp's' thread, saying that I have never doubted the love we have for each other, but that we just don't show it.
Do you know, I have never (even when single) felt or been so alone. Never have I felt so unwanted or had such little passion in my life, and I just don't know what to do about it, or even if I want to do anything about it.
A few months ago I came very close to packing up and walking out. I had appointments lined up with the housing office, the CAB etc to find out what I needed to do and what help I'd get.
It makes me feel very sad that I am destined to spend the rest of my days lacking passion, intimacy and that kind of bond I've felt with others.

Anyway, I'm going to stop there, this is for another fred. Or at least for the back of my mind.

SilveryMoon Wed 20-Feb-13 17:43:45

I just did 15 mins detailed cleaning. I took all the pieces off of the light shade and cleaned them, put them back. I hoovered under the bed. I hoovered across the walls (sounds odd but parts of the walls were really dusty blush like behind the curtains I never draw). Hoovered round the edges of the room at the carpet/skirting board edge.

Feel a bit better now. Even if that's the only day I get in there, is better than it was.

Cuddledup Wed 20-Feb-13 19:27:19

Belated condolences to you SC about MIL- poor you, DH and DD.
Silver v sorry to hear you're having a tough time with DP. When I'm going through a tough patch with DH (which can be quite often!) I have to keep remembering that relationships are like seasons - sometimes it's summer other times it's winter. When things get tricky I resort to reading Buddhism for Mothers (funny and V helpfuL IMO)I really hope you get things sorted out in time.
ta da
Did lots of anti procrastination tasks at work - Horrah grin
Inspired by one of the many FL emails I cleaned out the fridge
Paid a long over due bill
15 mins of cross trainer
Helped DD with homework whilst cleaning kitchen
ignored umpteenth hassling phone call from exP
completely FAILED in not having a glass of wine tonight.

to do
facepack (I'm covering my face with green slime aka seaweed !)
clear away supper things and shine sink
Sort out DD's games bag
15 mins of ironing
15 mins of bedroom decluttering
meditate
before bed routine

FInally - out of interest - does anyone get dressed to shoes before they come down in the morning ? I used to but CBA at the moment.

LillethTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 20:30:30

Evening

tada
- make beds
- Turn on washing machine
- 2nd load
- Dry laundry
- Give DS birthday presents and cards (have got him a wallet to put his money in)
- Wash up 2X
- put laundry away
- Wash up after tea
- Shine Sink

not doing
- fill washing machine just in case we're home earlyish Thurs or if not for Fri morning (decided we will be back too late tomorrow, so will get it ready for Fri)
- go for a run/exercise bike (whoops)

tomorrow's list
- Make beds
- Wash up
- Shine sink
- Fill washing machine for Fri
- Go to Legoland discovery centre

Just Baked Beans? confused
Silvery Sorry to hear you are having DP problems. Hope things get sorted soon. Well done on the 15 mins cleaning though.
Cuddled No not straight away, but most days I go out so have to get dressed. My routine is Get up, make our bed, Feed DCs while DH takes dog out, feed myself, clean and dress DD2, get toothpaste sorted for DS and DD1, make their beds while getting clothes out for them, get washed and dressed myself

Watching the Brits, but Im not into any of it. MNing it is then

Hope everyone has a good evening and day tomorrow. Im going to the Trafford Centre to go to Legoland Discovery Centre. DS and DD1 are really excited. Im looking forward to it all being over so I can relax again.

Evening all,

Silvery - we have bad patches too, just coming through the tail end of one at the moment. I think I'm the "mansplaining" one though. DH is a brilliant scientist (better qualified than me) and director of a successful business, but just doesn't know day to day stuff AT ALL. It's as though he exists in a bubble, he never reads a newspaper, never watches current affairs stuff on TV or radio. It drives me mad. His Db says he's always been like it. I get the accusation that I am calling him stupid when I cannot hide my irritation that he doesn't know something that to me is really basic, eg if I mention the name of the village a mile down the road and he doesn't know where I mean (we have lived here 12 years). I honestly don't think he's stupid but he sometimes does a very good impression of it. However I try and recognise that we each have different strengths, I would not be able to do what he does work wise (actually I might if I didn't have to do the ENTIRE running of house and family). No, though I really couldn't, his scientific knowledge leaves mine miles behind (am a scientist also). Enough of this!

Just - baked beans?!

Very little Flying again today, my arm is still quite painful and today I have had backache too. However managed two loads of washing/drying.

I went for a run! First time since last May when I developed my prolapse, which was surgically repaired in Sept. Running isn't highly recommended for those of us with pelvic problems, however I took it very easy, was more of a power walk/jog that a run, and kept a very gentle strid pattern, did about 2.5k in 25 mins and felt really good for it. It was great getting all my running gear dusted off again.

Evening all.

Ta da!
Stripped bed
Laundry
Got DH to hoover smile
Work
Out to look at tiles with DH
Lunch out with DH smile
More work
Boys’ tea
“Story café” with boys
Our tea
Cleaned up kitchen

Quite a good day really.

Toffee flopped into the naughty corner in the early hours. Hope you’re OK.

Silvery was having driving lessons and DP troubles but did 15 mins deep cleaning.

Going left us all brew and biscuit before heading out for sex ed parents’ briefing. Glad it went well. Got all that to come. Eek indeed.

Bitchy was dealing with meetings and meltdowns. Hope it went OK.

Lilleth was catching up – happy birthday to your DS. Hope the Legoland trip goes well.

Just was intriguing us all with talk of baked beans…

Cuddled has been anti-procrastinating at work. I enjoyed reading Buddhism for Mothers. Didn’t sink in very well though. blush As for dressed to shoes, no – we’re a no shoes in the house family on the whole. Do always have slippers though, the solid sort with proper soles.

WhoKnows has been doing laundry despite painful arms and been for a run – glad you enjoyed it, and to hear you’re taking it easy.

Links: Thursday is errand day.

Babystep 21 is to check out “Ask FlyLady” – anyone ever done this? Is it worth it?

Mission is to declutter bedside tables.

Night all!

Honu Thu 21-Feb-13 07:22:55

<Waves as if she's been here all along>
I've been reading, so feel part of this group (thanks for the company all of you) but never seem to have time to post.

We are in our new extension, DH downstairs so now much more able to get around. It's taking him a long time to settle though - to get all his stuff round him, work out where it's all to go, and how to physically do things. He is also taking a long time to come round to the fact that I expect him to look after himself more, rather than my doing everything for him. We are still engaged in a war of attrition with the builders getting them to finish the last bits off.

Whoknows, Silvery, Goth I had serious problems with XH regarding respect - he was teaching our then young-teenage sons that women, including their mother, were air-heads and not worthy of respect. I had a long talk with him and I don't think he had really realised how much he was putting me down. Although not perfect afterwards he was much improved. I also think techie guys (I spent much of my time in computer design before teaching, and most of my male friends, XH, DH are from there) are so single-minded and focussed that the rest of life passes them by.

Bugger - well over my 15 mins - so slow at posting!

SilveryMoon Thu 21-Feb-13 08:20:31

Morning all
<waves> to Honu hope dh settles soon.

We're going to take the boys to the science museum today. I need to get a move on, have only just got up! The journey's gonna take about an hour and half so really want to be out by 9ish.
Dp is still in bed.

Have a good day

ToffeeWhirl Thu 21-Feb-13 10:24:45

Hope you have a good day at the museum, Silvery. Sympathies re your issues with DH. I hope discussing it with him will sort it out.

SC - so sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope the funeral goes as well as these things can.

Honu - so glad to hear the extension is finally finished, though you must be desperate to get the builders out for good and have your house back. I hope your DH settles in and starts doing more for himself shortly. Maybe it's a matter of confidence, as he has become reliant on you?

WhoKnows - sorry about your sore arm and backache - hope it resolves itself soon. Well done on the running.

Lilleth - hope your trip to Legoland goes well today.

Blue - sounds like you had a great day yesterday smile. Thanks for the links and round ups.

Going - glad sex ed parents' talk was reassuring.

Bitchy - hope meeting went ok. My DS1 is like yours - he has no qualms about asking me anything about sex because I am happy to answer his questions, whereas DH hides behind the nearest door if the topic crops up grin.

Just - baked beans? DS1 has covered most things, but we haven't had that one yet wink. (I enjoyed your contributions to the home ed thread on AIBU, btw. Didn't feel confident enough to contribute at the time and thought other people were being more eloquent than I could be).

Cuddled - I never dress to shoes, only slippers. We don't wear shoes in the house. <runs off to google 'Buddhism for Mothers'>.

Have been having CBA days this week blush. Fell asleep yesterday afternoon when DH came home and he couldn't rouse me, so had to cook the boys' dinner on his own grin. Am achy and have a sore throat, so I think I must be fighting something off. Managed to use the power of 15 minutes yesterday, so was able to do a home bleugh before MIL called round and also do two 15-minute batches of ironing.

DS1 had his first Biology assignment back from the course tutors we registered with when we started home educating - he got 34 out of 35 grin. He has such low self confidence that he still can't believe it's true.

Not sure what we're doing today. Was going to take the boys swimming, but not sure I'm up to it. We might just potter. DS1 has a new guitar to strum (he's asked for lessons) and DS2 is reading through the 'How to Train Your Dragon' series. Although I expect there will be plenty of XBox for DS1 and 'Club Penguin' (for DS2) too.

I never dress before coming downstairs, our bathroom is downstairs so you have to come down before dressing, then it seems logical to do downstairs stuff, ie breakfast, empty DW etc before going back up to get dressed.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 21-Feb-13 10:50:36

I am still in my dressing gown, WhoKnows blush.

If we don't have to go out Toffee the only rule is that we are dressed before lunch blush. I got a new dressing gown for Christmas and love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now