February Fledglings FLYing High

(594 Posts)

Welcome to the February Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

thanks to SC for leading us through January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted grin.

So come along in and park your dusters ready for Feb!

feetheart Mon 11-Feb-13 12:58:58

Lots of 'get better' vibes to poorly people and hope you get the heating sorted Bitchy - brrrrrrrrrr

Quick list:
- Washing up from last night blush - done
- Laminate stuff for school - done
- All up and out - done
- Chat with neighbour - done
- Clear snow from our and neighbour's drives - done
- Feed sad-looking birds - done
- Washing in, done and hung up - done
- Ironing away - done
- Make up truffles for school 'Bake and Take - done
- Sort out more disco tickets - done This will be ongoing all week!
- Rest of morning routine
- Print truffle recipe
- Bathroom floor
- Kitchen floor
- Hoover living room, hall, stairs and landing (not too bad as DS did it on Friday when sick from school smile)
- 'Bake and Take' to scoff nice things and get recipes smile
- Homework/library/etc

Best get moving as have just over an hour.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 11-Feb-13 13:26:12

Oh dear, what a lot of unwell people here sad. I hope everyone is on the mend soon. I have an unwell DS2 at home today (chesty cough thingy) and MIL is still really ill with a similar virus, so DH is doing her shopping for her. Am ok myself so far <touches wood>.

Bitchy - poor thing, I hope you get the heating sorted soon. We had that a few weeks ago and it was unbelievably cold. I was so grateful when the heating came back on again. I never take it for granted as I grew up in a freezing cold house and vowed to stay warm when I grew up.

Lilleth - have put that tip about the kitchen drawer into practise! All the junk from the drawer is now in a box in the understair's cupboard and only a few things are left in the drawer. My mum is going to be sooooo impressed when she visits later this week smile.

Had a busy and productive weekend and have managed to stay on top of routines and home ed so far today. Like Jdub, I start the week well...

Blue - glad you are feeling better.

Back to home ed stuff now.

Heating totally dead. thankfully still have hot water so not a boiler issue. Extra duvets and water bottles at the ready....

ToffeeWhirl Mon 11-Feb-13 16:51:48

<hands thick blankets and hot chocolate to Bitchy in the naughty corner>

LillethTheCat Mon 11-Feb-13 19:09:12

Having a rubbish flying day today.

tada
- make bed
- Strip DCs bedding
- Dry bedding
- remake beds
- Fill washing machine ready for Tues
- Go to business course
- tidy room once DCs are in bed

Not done or doing
- Wash up 2X
- Shine Sink
- Empty kitchen crap draws into box
- 5 mins tidying computer up (there's not a lot there TBH)
- sort out clothes for Tues
- go for a run (or exercise bike if the weather is rubbish like its meant to be)

OK so Ive done half my list. Having a rubbish day really. The Business course I do on a Monday morning I hate. We've not really done it in any particular order and it seems to be very here and there. Dont know whether Im coming or going with that one. And today we find out that we may not be finishing level 1 after half term and we may not be getting a work placement. I want to drop out, but feel as though then it would be a waste of time doing what Ive done so far (which TBF doesn't feel like a lot)

Plus Ive just come back from a dog walk and my dog was attacked again by the same dog for a second time angry Ive taken pictures, just looking into getting it reported. Not happy.

Just glad to hear your feeling better. Hope it continues this way
Cuddled have a lovely time in York. We have family there, going next week for the day.
Bitchy hope you get the heating sorted soon.
Toffee Glad to be of help, need to get round to doing mine.

<waves to everyone else>

Will post tomorrow's list for myself in a bit. Off to put DCs to bed

SilveryMoon Mon 11-Feb-13 19:56:07

Evening all
What a day. Is it Friday yet?
Blue Hope you’re all feeling better. This bug is very persistent isn’t it? I’ve felt crap for weeks and been up coughing every night. Last night, I decided to give the vapour rub on the soles of the feet (picked up from the tips thread) a go, and it works! I didn’t wake up again, so guess what’s on my bedside table.
Just Glad you’re better. Take it easy though.
Snow Don’t sweat having a crap FLYing week. That’ll be me this week as dp is onlates (2pm - 10pm) so have to collect the boys from after school club and walk home, which they are never in the mood for and do dinner, homework, baths, dinner etc etc alone so def won’t be doing any more this week than bare minimum. No zone work, missions or decluttering here this week, just routines I think.
Jdub Glad you had a good weekend and envy @ inset
lilleth Hope your dog’s ok.

The longest day today. I’ve been in such a foul mood. 4 days and counting!
TaDa
Up and made beds
Swished and swiped
laundry
Dressed
Bags packed for school
Went to work zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Fed cats
More laundry
Cleaned kitchen
Shined sink
Homework
Boys bath
Read stories
laid out clothes

You know it's bad when I can't even be arsed to drink!

Evening all.

Well, the bathroom was delivered incredibly promptly and with minimal fuss this morning, so that’s a huge relief. DS2 also got back to nursery and I was able to get some work done, which is also good. There’s no snow – phew – and we made it to the dentist without bloodshed. On the other hand, work keeps appearing, even as I try to catch up with the backlog and now it looks like I’m going to have to redo a chapter I’ve apparently lost. angry Still, at least it’s a short one.

DS1 isn’t having a good night either. He was far too energetic for somebody off school earlier, but now keeps crying and complaining of earache. Will have to get him to the doctor tomorrow to see if it’s turned into an ear infection. Joy.

Anyway, what’s everyone else been doing?

Just is mobile again and has been able to get some things done. Echoing Going’s wise advice about not overdoing it though.

Going has a poorly DD too.

Engelse is also coughing and spluttering but had visiting DNs to entertain – hope you survived.

Cuddled was doing motorway driving with the lurgy. Hope you took it easy and got there safely. Grr to DH asking when you’re leaving. Isn’t that the kids’ job?

Snowgirl was intending to get back into flying this week. Don’t worry about other people’s lists! If you’re keeping a shiny sink and on top of the S&S then you’re doing brilliantly.

Jdub was bursting with Monday energy. Glad you had a good weekend. What’s Shaker Maker [too lazy to Google…]

Bitchy has broken heating. Hope you can get it fixed promptly. <Hands over more warming brew >

feet was making steady progress through her list.

Toffee had a good weekend too, and a drawer in a box. I daren’t do that cos I’d just keep the box forever too!

Lilleth was having a bad day. Sorry to hear about the uninspiring course and dog troubles.

Silvery is not looking forward to this week. Focussing on routines sounds a good way to go though. Hope it gets better.

Linkies:

Babystep 12 is a reminder of routines and advice to delete the Fat Fairy’s emails. If you’ve managed to unsubscribe, hopefully you won’t have any to delete! (Why she thinks you might cringe at this is quite beyond me wink )

Mission is getting grubby finger marks out of the bathroom and tackling the pile to the right of the computer.

Tuesday is Plan and Play Day in Fat Fairy Land.

Big waves to all, and brew or wine to all in need.

Good night!

ta-da!

Morning routine
School run
Speak to DS's teacher
emails
Pilates class
Errands in town, including passport photos and forms, one bag of clutter to charity shop
Home and lunch
Cook dinner for later
3 lots of washing
Mop kitchen and bathroom floors
Deep clean behind loo (yuck)
Sell something on FB local page
Phonecall with OU tutor
Update calender, do paperwork
School run - speak to both teachers
Home - afternoon routine
Homework x 2
Re-heat and eat dinner
Take DS to cricket
Make packed lunches
Fill in cricket forms
Fetch DS from cricket, return forms
Bedtime routine for DS
Washing up etc
Watched TV for an hour
More emails
Bed!

Hope all the poorly people start feeling better soon, also hope the heating gets fixed quickly Bitchy

My kitchen drawer desperately needs a declutter, you have to shove everything down with your hand before you can close it now, ditto the drawer of crap in the computer desk. Problem is, most of it does get used occasionally. However I have created some shelf space in the understairs cupboard so I can relocate some of it there.

elliepac Tue 12-Feb-13 06:50:29

Morning everyone! This week is about survival. I am merely getting through the week and holding on for Friday. On the other hand, don't want it to go too quickly as it is DD's 5th birthday on Saturday and I haven't bought her a single thing yet!

Hope all poorly people are feeling a but better this morning.

bitchy hope you get your heating fixed soon. It sucks having no heating.

just glad you are feeling better smile

cuddled enjoy York. My family is from there and all my grandparents/great aunts etc lived there. Beautiful city which holds happy memoriessmile

Like silvery i will be happy if I just keep routines up this week although Friday night will involve some serious cleaning as we have famile descending on Saturday and a party to go to before they come leaving little time for cleaning on the day.

Have a good day everyone!

Snowgirl1 Tue 12-Feb-13 08:38:33

Morning everyone

Okay, which one of you gave me the lurgy? To be fair it was probably DD. I feel crap so hate to think how this has made her feel, she's so little.

I managed to get my list done last night, which always makes me feel pleasantly smug righteous.

Done so far:
Up, showered and make up on
Bed made
Sandwiches made

To do:
Buy shampoo
Hang washing out
Get tomorrow's clothes out
Make pancake batter
Collect purchase from FB local site
15 mins decluttering office area
Mission
Finish on-line shop
Shine sink
S&S

Bitchy hope your heating is fixed pronto - what a nightmare.

<Waves to everyone else feeling poorly> hope you all feel better soon.

<Waves to everyone feeling fine>

BBL

To do today:

Just back from school
Quick tidy round
What's for dinner? Something quick and easy needed on a Tuesday. Pancake batter is in the fridge for after school.
Work
Pop to Sainsburys
School run
Pancakes
Ballet
Dinner
Cubs
Finish OU essay

Not going to be time for much Flying.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 12-Feb-13 09:34:48

Blimey, WhoKnows, that was a list and a half you got through on Monday!

DS2 has kept DH and me up most of the night. As DH said, "He's not one to suffer in silence, is he?" I feel like I did when my two were babies - wrecked. I really can't cope with broken nights. Finally gave up and took DS2 downstairs to watch telly whilst I dozed on the sofa. He prodded me awake a little while later and said, "You've been asleep for ages and it's time for pancakes".

He is too ill for school, but not ill enough to go to bed and sleep. Unfortunately.

Have had a large cup of coffee to wake myself up. Will be back later with a list...

feetheart Tue 12-Feb-13 10:01:07

I hate to say it but that boy has his priorities right Toffee smile
Hope pancakes revived you a bit too.

Whoknows - I'm cheating and having savoury pancakes for dinner - just add cheese and ham smile. They will both get sweet ones at Beavers/Brownies.

Lilleth - sorry to hear about course and dog woes. Sounds like a run in the fields is needed regardless of weather - that's my thinking time and I have missed it like mad. Saying that the ice is really bad here today so I won't be running either sad

Got most of yesterday's list done, including scoffing nice things at school 'Bake and Take'. Came back with yummy Mississippi Mud Pie recipe.
Today' list is less ambitious as I'm at school from 1pm.
- More disco tickets - done
- All up and out - done
- Shopping for neighbour - done
- S&S - done
- Lots of washing as DS wet bed twice (after two dry nights) - doing
- WORK
- Pancake batter
- Reading at school
- Dinner
- DS to Beavers (hopefully with DH but not sure if he is well enough to cope with 20 rowdy Beavers!), DD to Brownies

Quite a doable list but need to get on with work now.
Hopefully back later, wafts healthy vibes to all the poorly people...........

Jdub Tue 12-Feb-13 10:01:20

Mmmmm....coffee...!!!
And to add to that, someone at work has bought pancakes for us all - 30 seconds in the microwave with nutella in ...mmmmmm!!!

Well - this morning's done list comprises the usual up and out score, but due to acute lameness (plus a banging headache last night) my to do list remains more or less unchanged!!

to do
sort the 2 remaining boxes of receipts/rubbish!
wash floor
clean up toy garage to give to friend's son
bag up charity shop bits - AND ACTUALLY PUT IN CAR!
clean shoes
meal plan

And Blue, Shaker Maker is a plaster of paris model making kit! Back in the day, the molds were made of latex, and you give it all a big shake to mix it up and leave to set! I made an elephant, and snapped its trunk off on removing the mold (gutted), but nowadays, they are solid plastic (and even more bloody fiddly and difficult to get out of the cast!!) Cue much muttering and mumbled swearing!!

Happy Pancake Day everyone x

Jdub - Oh... light dawns, slowly. I had loads of those kits as a kid but had no idea that was what they were called. They never worked very well so I'll definitely keep clear of them if there are solid plastic moulds now!!

Engelsemama Tue 12-Feb-13 13:33:36

Really did mean to BBL yesterday but when I took DS up for his nap I went to bed as well (leaving DH to entertain DNs).

Feeling a bit better today though only a bit. Why am I always ill during holidays?!

Took DS to GP this morning and he has a chest infection so on antibiotics. Means he won't be at nursery today or tomorrow so bang go my free days (that I normally count on every half term to get some school work done and rebalance my sanity!) We're a house of happy people today. Though actually DH is at work so I feel like I'm getting stuff done. He was ill at the weekend and still feeling under the weather, but am fed up with his "competitive illness" iykwim. Glad he's not under my feet.

Still, have managed to get a fair bit done.

Ta da
Picked up DS meds at pharmacy/Drs appt
Supermarket shop
2 lots of washing
Steak and msuhroom pie doing (filling nearly ready...thank you Hairy Bikers)
Washing up x2
Emptied bins
hoovered downstairs
paper ready to go out for recycling this morning
bin bags out this morning

To do
Put today's washing away
Have a shower and wash my hair
unpack bags
finish off delicious dinner and eat lots of ice cream
Catch up with thread

LillethTheCat Tue 12-Feb-13 14:18:18

Hi Everyone. <wonders where Ellies family are from as we are from York>

Another one here who never made it back on last night.

I like to have a tomorrow's list so I know where I am.

Anyway

tada
- Made Beds
- turned on washing machine
- 2nd load
- Dryer on now
- Taken DD2 to soft play (and worn myself out let alone DD2)

to do
- sort laundry out
- fill washing machine ready for tomorrow
- shine sink (will leave DH to wash up as I have to go out tonight)
- go to extra night for my AAT course to help revise for upcoming exam

The dog is now fine, in fact he looks a lot better this time than last time.

I wish I could go for a run feet but the weather is crap here today, plus I dont have much free time to get myself sorted ready to go to my course tonight. I do plan to do some exercise tomorrow, but with the snow forecast I will probably do an hour on my bike.

So tired now. I blame the soft play. Got an hour before school pick up and the odd bits and pieces before I go to my course tonight.

Jamillalliamilli Tue 12-Feb-13 14:39:45

Slipping in to say sorry didn’t get in yesterday as I managed to do lots (without damage!) but was so shattered I fell asleep reading everyone’s updates!
Trying to both get on top of everything and not overdo it, but am a bit all over the place thanks to snow, medication, and huge pile up of not done tasks, but just back of to hack away at sludgefest and will work out what else needs doing later.
Hope everyone who’s unwell or dealing with unwell people recovers fast, and Jdub glad to hear dog’s in one piece.

Bitchy hope you can get heating sorted fast, being cold is horribly de-motivating.

Must drag myself of here or will not get things done but will try and be more sociable later.

NickNacks Tue 12-Feb-13 17:47:44

Hi everyone- sorry for lack of personals I'm on phone.

Lovely afternoon doing pancakes for 6 children, they really enjoyed them smile

I've also done a bit of work that's desperately outstanding but still tons to do. DH working at the weekend again so I might do some then.

Getting a new cooker delivered tomorrow so tonight we have the gross job of pulling out the old one and cleanibg behind it- it's been about 3 yrs since I last did it! Cleaner is coming first thing but I really think that's taking the piss if I ask her to do that!

Wednesday is also my busiest day minding so I'm always knackered and get nothing done, house wise.

Will try and get back on tomorrow afternoon whilst the babies nap if I can smile

elliepac Tue 12-Feb-13 19:56:11

Evening allsmile .

Quite a productive evening here. Was expecting today to be horrible but the little darlings actually behaved themselves and it wasn't half as bad as expected.

Ta da-
morning routine
work
dinner made
homework/reading etc done
dinner cleared away
pancakes
washing from this morning in dryer
clothes laid out
pack ups done
dinner cleared away
washing up

lilleth my mum and dad both grew up in Acomb and my family was dotted all over that side of the city.

Back later. DS's school are holding a talent show and he is currently trying to teach himself magic. Tortuous to say the leastwink grin .

GoingGoingGoth Tue 12-Feb-13 21:08:51

Hello all
Quick update as vipers little flying going on (I think I'm going to class anything done as a success this week rather than stressing over it)

DD's sore throat is easing, still full of cold, and unfortunatly she seems to have had an adverse reaction to the Calpol, face swelled and she got a rash all over her nose & round her mouth. Took her to the chemists to be checked out (as she'd started being more lively) so she's now on Priton. Luckily swelling is going down and she's almost back to herself today, so as it's half term we had a day out at the cinema, shops etc.

Maybe snowing tomorrow (not holding my breath as we haven't really had any yet) so planning a playing day. She's due back to school on Thursday, so I'm hoping her face will clear up by then.

Done since Monday
Morning & evening routines
Vacuumed
Bins
2 loads washing
Ironing
Re-organised storage cupboard

GoingGoingGoth Tue 12-Feb-13 21:24:58

^ vipers erm should be there's no idea what happened -blaming the iPad AGAIN <sighs>

Good evening, good evening.

It’s been a funny old day here - ta da!
DS2 to nursery
Work
DH took DS1 to doctor – thankfully no ear infection
Laundry & clean stuff away
Pick up DS2 and do Sainsbo’s dash for calpol, tissues etc
Lunch
More work
Pancakes
Clean up kitchen
Organise translatory meet up for Saturday

DH being off sick is at least enabling me to get back up to date with my work. Think we’re going to finally get DS1 back to school tomorrow. Yay!

What else has been going on?

WhoKnows had a very impressive day yesterday

Ellie is holding out for the weekend but was surprised by children behaving themselves.

Snowgirl now also has the lurgy – sympathies and brew coming your way.

Toffee had a bad night and a DS off sick. Neither of our DSs are known for suffering in silence either. <hands over earplugs>

feet had a doable list and was having savoury pancakes for dinner – that’s not cheating, we did too, and sweet ones for pudding. smile

Jdub had people bringing her nutella pancakes. Mmm!

Engelse got quite a bit done despite being poorly and having a poorly DS.

Lilleth was blaming the soft play – sounds fair to me.

Just is hacking away without overdoing it.

NickNacks enjoyed making pancakes and is getting a new cooker.

Going was having a “damn you autocorrect” moment. Sorry to hear about DD’s reaction to calpol – must have been worrying, and glad it’s improving. grin at vipers though.

Tomorrow appears to be Wednesday (losing track of time here), which is anti-procrastination day.

Babystep 13 is to do a mission…

… and the mission is to clean the bathroom cabinet and the computer screen.

Crikeyblimey Tue 12-Feb-13 22:24:05

Evening all. Sorry I've been absent for so long. Hope everyone who is poorly soon feels better.

I have sinned sad. I have been pretty much grounded for the last week. I've just about managed to keep the sink shiney and on top of the laundry. Dh was away all last week and I was running just to keep up. Back to it from tomorrow though.

Have good Wednesdays all.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 12-Feb-13 23:21:49

Goth - that's worrying about your DD's allergic reaction to Calpol. I'm glad Piriton sorted it, but sounds as if you should get her checked out at the GP and maybe avoid Calpol for now. Could also have been a viral rash, I suppose, but best to be sure. Hope she's better by tomorrow.

DS2 has been really poorly today sad: high temperature, wheezing, general malaise. He is off his food, but he did manage to eat a couple of pancakes (Feet - you are right about his priorities wink). We have put him in our bed for tonight, with DH sleeping in his bed, as we couldn't face another night of traipsing back and forth between rooms and, hopefully, he will feel safer if he's sleeping with me. He is sleeping soundly at the moment... <crosses fingers>

Not much Flying done today. Managed to fit in some productive home ed in between looking after DS2. DM is arriving tomorrow, so I will be crisis cleaning first thing.

Sorry for lack of personals. I have caught up with the thread, but am too sleepy now to respond. Am really hoping for a decent night's sleep tonight.

Good night, fledglings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now