February Fledglings FLYing High

(594 Posts)

Welcome to the February Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

thanks to SC for leading us through January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted grin.

So come along in and park your dusters ready for Feb!

Which thread was that? I read the one about putting fabric conditioner on your radiators, but that's not going to happen here, we don't use it because I can't stand the smell, I like my laundry unfragranced. Although I was interested to see someone post on there that they had found an unscented one.

I have just been reading a Good Homes magazine while I eat breakfast, not sure whether to feel inspired or depressed.

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 09:48:32

this thread WhoKnows It's mostly got tips on cooking rice and different ways of doing cheese sauce, but there are some handy ones tucked in there.

Ah, thanks Silvery - I read it when it was about 20 posts long (got as far as the Vicks on toenail). Will revisit. I have fast reliable methods for cheese sauce and rice already though.

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 12:55:01

List:
Up and make beds done
Breakfast done
Clear breakfast done
Feed cats done
Laundry done
Empty rubbish done
Bath and dress done well, to clean pj's
Swish and Swipe done
Make weeks sandwiches done
Clean glass shelves done
Dust and polish done
Hoover done
Mop done
Polish shoes
Ironing
Cook dinner (beef stew)
Clean kitchen
Stray items away
Bags for tomorrow
Lay out clothes
Shine sink
Bed early

So, just finished my weekly clean, yay! but I took the mop out of the cupboard, filled my bucket with hot water and floor cleaner, mopped, it's dried and the place stinks! Had a look at the water as I emptied bucket and it was black!
Dp on Friday night, unplugged and pulled old washing machine out, cleaned and mopped behind it <boak> in prep for the new one to go in, he used a fuck load of bleach and I don't think he cleaned the mop after angry. Now I'll have to mop the whole flat again ggrrrrrrrr.
[scabby cow emoticon] it'll wait til a bit later though, me and ds's are settling down to watch The Snowman and The Snowdog.
<tsh tsh with the airfreshner>

LillethTheCat Sun 10-Feb-13 13:07:52

Just popping in quick to see where I am today

tada
- DD1 homework
- Strip bed (going to do DCs Monday)
- Dry bedding
- Wash up 2X

to do
- DS homework (will set it up for him when I take the dog out as its on the laptop)
- Coursework (will do tonight)
- remake bed (when my bath is running)
- Wash up after tea
- Shine Sink
- tidy room once DCs are in bed

Ooh thats good I can spend the next couple of hours relaxing grin DD2 is in bed, DD1 is watching a film and DS is playing with lego listening to some crap music

angry about the mop Silvery Oh well have fun with the snowman and snowdog.

That is a good thread, but a lot of posts I skimmed as I dont cook (that's DHs area) so how to make Cheese Sauce or cook Rice are of no interest to me.

BBL

NickNacks Sun 10-Feb-13 15:41:56

Ive developed a new 'to do' list management system. I use the notebook on my iPhone and delete and add jobs when done or if i remember them. It's always on me and I enjoy seeinh it get smaller. I might not post lists as much on the thread due to deleting them!

DH is working again today and I've done the laundry, kids homework, uniforms, kits, and beef stew for dinner. smile

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 15:43:47

nicknacks Looks like we are nearly the same person!
I like to add and remove stuff on my phone's notepad.
Dp is also at work today.
I have just finished homework with the boys and am in the process of hunting down uniform items.
Also having beef stew for dinner!

NickNacks Sun 10-Feb-13 15:55:31

smile hi twin!! smile

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 16:03:20

Well, not having beef stew now. Just seen it's 4pm and I'm still sat on the sofa. Whoopsie

NickNacks Sun 10-Feb-13 16:28:54

Oh dear! In an effort not to look too smug , mines been on since 8am. smile

What will you have instead?

I use the reminders function on my phone for the same thing - it is always blipping away at me, everything from do your pelvic floor exercises to what we are having for dinner. I live through my phone! I don't put alerts on the general to-do things, just the ones at particular times. Use the notebook part for shopping lists, the errands in town type (Ocado for the rest, also on phone)

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 16:51:15

Chicken dippers blush

LillethTheCat Sun 10-Feb-13 17:35:49

Right Im doing this now so I can spend the evening relaxing away from the laptop.

tada
- DD1 homework
- Strip bed (going to do DCs Monday)
- Dry bedding
- Wash up 2X
- DS homework
- Coursework
- remake bed (when my bath is running)
- got clothes out ready for tomorrow

to do
- Wash up after tea
- Shine Sink

tomorrow's list
- make bed
- Strip DCs bedding
- Dry bedding
- remake beds
- Wash up 2X
- Shine Sink
- Fill washing machine ready for Tues
- Go to business course
- Empty kitchen crap draws into box
- 5 mins tidying computer up (there's not a lot there TBH)
- sort out clothes for Tues
- go for a run (or exercise bike if the weather is rubbish like its meant to be)

Hope you all have a good evening. See you tomorrow afternoon.

NickNacks Sun 10-Feb-13 17:41:40

I haven't got to grips with the Reminders app yet but perhaps I'll have a play around with it.

Nothing to blush at chicken dippers - I love them! It's only the sensible mum bit off me which puts beef stew on the menu!

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 20:06:18

List:
Up and make beds done
Breakfast done
Clear breakfast done
Feed cats done
Laundry done
Empty rubbish done
Bath and dress done well, to clean pj's
Swish and Swipe done
Make weeks sandwiches done
Clean glass shelves done
Dust and polish done
Hoover done
Mop done twice
Polish shoes done
Ironing done
Cook dinner done
Clean kitchen done
Stray items away done
Bags for tomorrow done
Lay out clothes done
Shine sink done
Bed early

Evening all!

So, who’s been around today and what have they been up to?

Silvery had some impressive lists considering she started the day with a CBA! Very well done, despite the Mop Incident.

There was much discussion of a useful tips thread. The microwave cheese sauce seems way more faff than just making it normally to me though.

Lileth popped in to see where she was and decided that the answer was that she could spend a couple of hours relaxing. Excellent.

NickNacks has a new to do list system, and she and Silvery wondered if they were twins.

WhoKnows also recommended the reminder function on one’s phone as a useful way of getting things done.

Today has been slightly strange here – the boys seemed right back to normal in the morning but very sleepy and lethargic in the afternoon. I now have a killer post-viral headache too. This bug seems very persistent. Sigh. Not sure if anyone will be going to school tomorrow, in which case it’s as well DH looks likely to be off sick as I have a ton of deadlines to catch up on!! We also have our bathroom suite scheduled for delivery, and the boys are supposed to be going to the dentist. And it might or might not be snowing. So that’ll be an interesting day.

to do:
Clear enough space for bathroom to be stored in office (!)
Work
Office mission
Dentist – health and weather permitting
Try not to overdo things!

So, links:
We’re moving into the bathroom zone this week, plus the home office as an extra, and Monday is of course house bleugh day.

Babystep 11 is to add an inspirational page to your CJ.

mission

Here’s to this week being better all round!

Chicken dippers are my new treat when we have Dominos, you can have a whole portion for the same amount of calories as about two slices of pizza and much more filling.

Jamillalliamilli Sun 10-Feb-13 23:11:04

Slides in to say hello to Lovehope and wave to everyone.

I’m back mobile if rather hurting, and have managed emergency washing, shopping and refuelling car for today which is a perverted form of renewing spirit for me, as I’ve been feeling very frustrated and helpless as time ticks past and things are piling up, so getting that lot out of the way sets me up better for the coming week.
This last week’s lead to ds not doing lots he should be, and me letting it go, so has been warned that changes tomorrow. I urgently need to restart sludgefest tomorrow and generally get on top of things.
I now have a full fridge, full petrol tank, worst of washing and drying done and if I can manage not to need anything before Wednesday £3.40 change. All that’s left to do is get the world’s slowest eater finish dinner, get sheet on bed, and him into it.

Blue hope tomorrow works out for you, it sounds quite touch and go especially with your office and bathroom merger.

Toffee to answer earlier question there just isn’t anyone to look after me. Fab violinist link, grabbed for future lesson for ds on how to deal with being rudely interrupted in a truly classy way and make the interruption part of it rather than an offence.

Silvery am impressed, and grin at ‘scabby cow emoticon’]

whoknows years ago as a commercial cleaner, wiping the top of the radiators with balsam polish used to make them notice the acres of polished wood.

Goth hope dd is better.
Better get on and harass ds or we won’t be in bed before midnight.

GoingGoingGoth Sun 10-Feb-13 23:47:39

Just so pleased you're mobile again. Sounds like you've made a good start. Don't overdo it, you don't want to end up back in bed. And watch out for ice, no more tumbles please.

Dd still poorly and now mardy <sighs> but just been in to check her as she was coughing and got a cuddle. So much for her "never coming out of her room again" She should have been going to a friend's tomorrow (our half term) so very disappointed.

So fairly lazy day apart from delivering medicine, drinks, snacks etc, didn't bother with Sunday lunch as she doesn't really have an appetite.

Done
Beds, windows, S&S, litter tray, bins, washing up, laundry on, ironing x2, dry washing away, dinner, washing up, SS.
Set up budget spreadsheet

Can't sleep. looks like tomo will be a write off sad

Engelsemama Mon 11-Feb-13 07:35:17

<coughs and splutters into tissues, swallows copious amounts of cough syrup and not quite so copious amounts of paracetamol, waves feebly from under blanket>

I'm back! Just spent weekend in UK to say goodbye to my sister who is leaving for far off lands next week. DH was ill as was DS, which meant I got to have some lovely one on one time with my Dsis and DM. But of course, I'm ill as well now.

House looks like a bomb site and DNs are coming over in an hour or so. Half term here and ILs had promised to watch them, but FIL now has a hospital scan so we will have them for a couple of hours.

List for today then......
Unpack bags
Tackle Mount Washmore
Online banking
Catch up with thread smile

BBL

Cuddledup Mon 11-Feb-13 07:54:25

Morning all - cough cough..... Yep! I've got the coughy / cold lurgy bug that everyone has. Feeling wiped out and today I've got to drive the family to York for our half term holiday. 4 hr+ drive. GROAN. DH is being v irritating and asking when are we going - after having woken me up at 6 with the radio! .

Anyways I'll do the morning routine, take some Beechams and head off up the motorway by 9.

Just good to hear you're doing better - your ta da list was awesome.

Back later this week - armed with Mt Washmore...

Snowgirl1 Mon 11-Feb-13 09:24:35

Morning all

I had a minimal FLYing week last week (but kept on top of my sink shining and S&Sing) but intend to get back into things this week. I won't read back through the thread (as it will just make me depressed that I've got so little done in comparison with everyone else!) but hope you're all well and all had a good weekend, despite the miserable weather.

Done so far:
Showered, make-up on and dressed
Bed made
Sandwiches made

To do:
Empty dishwasher
Put a load of washing on
Change bed sheets
Put tomorrow's clothes out
Put some stuff on eBay
Do mission (will have to check back later & see if link has changed as it's showing bedroom?)
Wash bathroom floor
Hoover/tidy the conservatory (which is used as a playroom)

BBL

Jdub Mon 11-Feb-13 10:44:31

Morning morning!
Hope everyone's weekends went well.
I had a lovely time - an extended weekend due to an inset day! Me and my eldest did a Shaker Maker model (as we wouldn't be 'assisted' by his younger bro who was at play school) NOTE: They are buggers to get out of their molds! Had to smack the living daylights out of it on the steps outside to dislodge it!! Luckily the model came out in one piece!

So far then, from over the weekend done
dusted
changed kids beds
washing
hoovered
sorted out first box of leftover Christmas delivery notes/receipts/stuff bunged in just to get it out of sight. 2 more bigger boxes to dispense with!
wknd meal plan

to do
bathrooms
sort the 2 remaining boxes of receipts/rubbish!
wash floor
clean up toy garage to give to friend's son
bag up charity shop bits - AND ACTUALLY PUT IN CAR!
Laundry away
clean shoes
meal plan

See - it's Monday - I'm at work and so bursting with energy!!! See how I slow down!!!!
Happy Monday, everyone x

ta da
Lie in
Discover that the heating in my room is fucked and that the temp is the same as what ever it is outside. Currently an incredibly warm 10C hmm
Some email and internet admin
Catch up with the last GB olympic qualifier.
Put quilt that has been in storage into dryer to air

Washing machine is completely dead so no washing can be done unless it is by hand.

Having a gentle day today and going to work on some of the sewing to do list to start off with the school uniform/sports kit labelling...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now