February Fledglings FLYing High

(594 Posts)

Welcome to the February Fledgling FLYers thread

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine and chatting along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on.

thanks to SC for leading us through January and for the brilliant OP I've just cut and pasted grin.

So come along in and park your dusters ready for Feb!

See this would be bad for asthma sufferers, but then they shouldn't really be having air fresheners of any kind so meh.
grumpy

LillethTheCat Thu 07-Feb-13 14:47:53

Just popping in quick, prob wont be on till tomorrow now as I wont get on again till 10PM

tada
- make beds
- Turn on washing machine
- Dry laundry
- Wash up after breakfast
- put laundry away
- Wash up after lunch

not doing
- Ring airline with a quick question about payments (its 60p per minute and I cant find any other way to contact them. Just going to sort it and hope it all works out.)

to do
- fill washing machine for Fri
- Shine Sink (if DH has washed up after tea as I wont get in till 10)
- Fri list
- Tidy up front room after DCs are in bed
- Get tomorrow's clothes ready
- go to AAT course.

Jamillalliamilli Thu 07-Feb-13 17:13:27

To do

Stop trying to challenge AIBU views of how/what/when education looks like
tidy up naughty corner
Catch up thread and what everyone's been up to (really sorry, just couldn't face the lists of achievements, unable to move)
Write list of achievable with minimum movement tasks.

GoingGoingGoth Thu 07-Feb-13 18:21:27

Just you've done really well, are you feeling any better?

Short list from me today

Done
Dd to school
Changed my bed
Bedding in washer
Dry clothes away
5 min room rescue in lounge (collected DD's stuff & dumped it in her room)
Windows
S&S
Went to self employment meeting at Regen Agency -very positive
Side trip to IKEA went for a long walk around Glasgow Green/People's Palace/Winter Gardens
Collect Dd
FELL ASLEEP ON SOFA! Too many late nights, I blame MN
Dinner- being done by Dh
Washing up -done by Dh

To do
Mission
Wash up & SS

Jamillalliamilli Thu 07-Feb-13 19:44:46

Goth I'm propped up in bed and can now roll over, and pull up on my arm on one side, but still can't transfer into wheelchair so a bit frustrated, and if I'm honest pretty away with the fairies and all over the place (but not in a pleasant way) with medication.
By posting this I hope to wake up tomorrow with everything working and make a liar of myself!

Congratulations on the job! smile

SilveryMoon Thu 07-Feb-13 20:36:06

Evening. No flying here today. Got home from work and fell asleep on sofa.
Have just done basic routines.
Hopefully more productive tomorrow but ds1 has football training in the evening so doubt it.
Looking forward to washing machine coming on Saturday, mount washmore is huge!

Cuddledup Thu 07-Feb-13 21:47:55

Just I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time at the moment. I hope the pain eases off a bit.
SIlvery an evening snooze sounds a v good idea IMO.

Ta da
Morning routine - done
Day got off to good start as I was able to email someone at breakfast time and tell them that the organisiation I work for was awarding them some money.
DD to school
Work - blah blah
Went to lecture at work given by a VIP and my bloody iPHone went off - even though it was switched to silent.
Supper and did kitchen tidy up - whilst drinking gin
cleaned bathroom
Wrote old school newsletter
15 mins of exercise
Shined sink and am now on the wine!

Tomorrow
No work for me, we usually go for a walk but as the weather is looking dire, it'll be a day at home decluttering, tackling Mt Washmore (whilst watching telly) and the anti procrastination list.

HOpe you're all well.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 07-Feb-13 23:05:30

Friday's babystep is to start your control journal.

Your mission is to sweep and mop your kitchen floor unless, like me, your wonderful cleaner did it for you today grin.

Friday is declutter your handbag and car day.

Back in a mo when I've read the thread.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 07-Feb-13 23:39:59

Thursday round-up

Bitchy was stunned to find her school-refusing DS up and ready for school before the alarm went off this morning. Hope he had a good day back.

Silvery was feeling rough, struggled in to work, then fell asleep on the sofa once home. Definitely not a day for Flying. Hurrah for new washing machine, by the way grin.

SC is a one-woman sewing extravaganza wink. Hope your DD did well in her audition for 'Peter Pan' (I used to watch that at the theatre every Christmas when I was a child smile).

GoingGoingGoth had a good meeting about self employment, then went for a walk instead of visiting IKEA (full marks for saving money).

lovehope2013 joined us. She has been shining her sink and tackling body clutter too with exercise. Welcome to the thread smile.

Jdub admits to losing her impetus to Fly by Wednesday, something I'm sure we can all sympathise with. (Am not sure I even make it to Wednesday...).

Lilleth has been fretting over only managing two hours a day Flying, which sounds more than enough to me. (Very interesting link, by the way, thank you. I am always envious of people whose houses smell lovely).

Just - so sorry you are still in such a bad way sad. I hope you start to mend soon and, in the meantime, can just rest easily in bed. Who is looking after you? <concerned> (Thanks for reference to AIBU thread on education - made interesting reading, especially now I have a foot in both home ed and school camps).

Cuddledup has great plans for decluttering and tackling the washing tomorrow. (Your embarrassment over interrupting the lecture with your phone reminded me of this).

My wonderful fortnightly cleaner came today, so the house has been restored to some sort of order again and she has even done some ironing for me. I have left the ironing board up to inspire me to continue with the ironing tomorrow hmm.

NickNacks Fri 08-Feb-13 07:27:22

Morning all. Still got this sore throat and cold which is doing my nut ATM. I hate having a foggy head, it just makes work so much harder to listen to.

just sorry your still not felling any better

blue hope you and DS get well soon too

toffee thanks for taking over as leader

goth well done on the job

bitchy I hope you have another easy morning with DS getting ready for school

Quick list.

Mission- wipe down appliances
Today's wash load
Dry and put away
Beavers run
Cubs run
Find a lift home for ds1
Tidy the fridge (!)
Find ds2 ingredients for beavers

Thanks for all good wishes. Spent most of the last 2 days in bed but today am up & had breakfast. Boys off school - DS1 on the way down and DS2 on the way up - and DH working from home to look after us all. Really aware that I mustn't overdo it today, having exhausted myself by trying to clear up breakfast.

going - great news about the job!

Just - sorry to hear you're still having such a rough time.

Feeble waves to everybody else.

feetheart Fri 08-Feb-13 09:05:17

Very quick, very excited post - I have a place in the Great North Run gringringrin

First time I've entered the ballot (after a link on MN) so feeling very lucky smile

Need to work now so back later to catch up and post a list of other things.

Cuddledup Fri 08-Feb-13 09:08:30

Blue get back to bed - make the most of the DC's being at school and DH helping out.

Today I'm sorting out getting a new phone after yesterday's embarrassment of the silencer not working!! grin

GoingGoingGoth Fri 08-Feb-13 09:30:03

Blue 2nd on going back to bed, make sure you're fully recovered.

Just bloody hell woman, and you were disappointed over not Flying! I'm impressed you're visiting us at all, but I guess it's getting boring being stuck in bed. Really hope you feel better soon.

Feet great news, is this your 1st organised run? Very envious as I am useless at running (boobs get in the way, yes they are that big)

Done
Beds
Windows
Cat litter
S&S
Washing up
Laundry on
Dd ready for school
Had another go at s rubbing taps

To do
Finish yesterday's ironing
Put dry laundry away
Start writing business plan shock
Start on next knitting project - I will get through all the wool DM gave me!
Mop kitchen floor (and bathroom)
Find out if Dd is going to a friends after school
Dinner
Wash up/ SS

ToffeeWhirl Fri 08-Feb-13 10:11:36

Blue - you absolutely must get back to bed! A DH at home to help is like gold dust - make the most of it grin. I really hope you and your DC are on the mend soon. In the meantime, I'm happy to carry on posting babysteps, etc.

Nicknacks - sorry you are feeling unwell too.

Congratulations on getting on the run, Feet.

Good luck with the business plan, Goth.

Cuddledup - hope you find a decent new phone. I have just bought myself a new one and was tempted to get a SmartPhone, but realised all I wanted it for was for the Flylady app blush. Have settled on a cheap Tesco mobile instead.

Ta da :

School run
Washing up - glasses
Unloaded d/w
Reloaded d/w
Wiped kitchen surfaces
Put recycling boxes out for collection
Signed and posted legal form I have been procrastinating over
Washing on
Nagged DS1 to get dressed
My b/fast

To do :

Swish and swipe
Home ed
Ironing
Tackle DS1's bedroom
Declutter stuff to go to the dump
(DH promises to go to the dump today shock)
Phone MIL

Am cross on MIL's behalf because she has caught a bad cold from a fellow resident after the warden insisted she sit with her whilst they fetch the doctor. It is not MIL's job to sit with ill residents, but she is not assertive at the best of the times, so she did as she was told, even though she is meant to avoid exposure to infection because she's on high doses of steroids. So now she has the cold and it has gone to her chest angry. People take advantage of her all the time, so this is not unusual <sigh>.

Off to start revising equivalent fractions with DS1...

yeah ds was back to normal this morning and screamed at me. Somehow I have learnt to sleep walk my way through this process. hmm

need to do stuff but it was a late night last night and suffering cos of it. going to try to work though and reset body clock (ie early night)

Ta da
Catch up with a friend
Laundry 2nd load on
Sort out meetings for near future
Tackle the bombsite that should be a bedroom - bomb damage being reduced. - will need to undertake some reconstruction work
Catch up with GB's olympic qualifier game from yesterday

I can't stick it out in bed any longer but I'm mostly sitting down watching CBeebies & DVDs with the boys. Biggest setback to recovery is is the 4 hrly battle to get calpol into DS2 which involves a ridiculous ammount of screaming and brute force...

Ta da
Catch up with a friend
Laundry 4th load on
Tackle the bombsite that should be a bedroom - bomb damage being reduced. - will need to undertake some reconstruction work
sort out to do list on white board
write two letters
sort out parcelling up stuff that has been waiting to go for a while
finish reading book
sort through photo box and convert to a memory box
declutter and clean windowsil
put away pile of clothes in my room

Currently listening to the current Qualifier against France. Currently 1:0 to France hmm

LillethTheCat Fri 08-Feb-13 17:07:36

Just a quick catch up from me, will read thread later when I have no to do list.

tada
- Make bed
- go grocery shopping
- pop in town

to do
- Wash up after tea
- shine sink
- fill washing machine for tomorrow
- lay out clothes tomorrow
- figure out parent pay to pay for school trip for DS and DD1
- enter into 10K
- find training plan for 10K as I am unable to go to the running club due to going to AAT course twice a week in preparation for an exam
- tomorrow's list

And that is it for me (4 of the remainder 8 to do are on the internet). Its just been one of those days. Nothing majorly bad has happened, but its just been the odd combination. So Im not doing a great deal today.

BBL

Ta da
Catch up with a friend
Laundry 4th load on
sort out to do list on white board
write two letters
sort out parcelling up stuff that has been waiting to go for a while
finish reading book
sort through photo box and convert to a memory box
declutter and clean windowsil
put away pile of clothes in my room
Have shot nerves by end of today's qualifier game
remake ds' bed
Take recycling out
Tidy and clean chest of drawers top
declutter 3 bags of stuff and some old baby stuff from the office
put ironing stuff right way around ready for ironing
fold the washing mountain safe in the knowledge still doing laundry.
Start collecting together the files which should contain the paperwork currently residing in the paperwork dump boxes
collect new sports kit for labelling wish child would slow down his growth spurt
Deal with ds and contact with dad. (issue with child not ex)
Ironing - finished until the current load of washing finishes drying which is depressingly the school shirts
Run dw
Put freshly ironed and folded clothes away
Put stuff that should be in the office into the office
Cull clothes that are too big and put in massive pile of stuff for charity shop that will go tomo. in theory
repeat tidy is the new normal at child and warn about to hit roof over stuff left not where it should be.

Am about done in but still have to do:
uniform naming
clear my bed
make my bed
finish a craft project.

ToffeeWhirl Fri 08-Feb-13 19:36:21

Babystep 9 is to learn how to declutter a few minutes at a time.

Friday night is date night. Plan an evening with someone you love. Saturday is Family Fun Day. You are meant to have done so much Flying during the week that you have time to just enjoy your loved ones hmm.

No missions at the weekend!

smile

Evening all,

I have hurt my right arm, somesort of strain, typing aggravates it so I'm tapping away on the Ipad very slowly, it's ok so long as I don't flex my wrist too much. Been like it for about 3 weeks and got worse this week, been prescribed anti inflammatories today. Not much Flying as a result, also been very busy at work. Have done a bit of decluttering today though and had a bit of a tidy up of the understairs cupboard but that's about it.

Better go, night all.

Cuddledup Fri 08-Feb-13 21:41:54

Who OUCH! to your strained arm.... I hope the anti- inflammatories improve the situation.
Blue I hope you're feeling a bit better - after your slightly restful day.
Bitchy that's a list to be proud of!
Toffee thanks for reminding me that it's date night - I'd better shave my legs in honor of this event!
Feet belated congrats on getting onto GN Run. How many miles is that ? 27 ?

As usual my plans didn't quite go to plan. I'd hoped to do a home Bleurgh but didn't really happen..

Ta da
DD to school
LOng winded phone call to O2 about new Iphone- boring....
Rebooted laundry x 2
Made bread / made some soup
Went for walk round reservoir - chiillllyyyyy
Collected prescription but accidentally went via charity shop and came home with more clothes (WOOPS!)hmm
20 mins ironing --- better than nothing
DD to swimming lesson this evening
supper and clear away

Off to bed now .....

elliepac Sat 09-Feb-13 07:22:56

Morning one and all. Another crazy busy week at work. Work is quite stressful at the moment and it normally isn't. Issues in the department with another teacher who is an Assistant Head therefore more senior than me, been teaching more years than I've been alive but who is stuffing up in a really bad way and needs a bollocking. Currently he's avoiding me but I have parents complaining now and need to sort it and the Head breathing down my neck to get it sorted. Hence not posting much at the moment. Apologies.

So today a list is needed. DH is at work so it's just DC's and I and a whole lot of errands/jobs to do. DS hates food shopping and am currently debating whether to leave him here while I go. He is nearly 10 and quite responsible and I know he will just olay his xbox and not move from the sofa and will only be gone an hour. There was a thread about it this recently and the general consensus was that they need to learn independence. He has been left alone for half an hour before. Still umming and aahing.

List looks like this:-
Tidy whole house
Clean whole house in a superficial swish and swipe kind of way
Washing
Drying
Putting away
Town for bits and bobs
Food shop
Dmum's for lunch
DS to cubs nite pilot activity at 5. ( they walk around the woods solving clues)
Pick DS up from cubs

Better get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now