Need help choosing a washing machine please.

(17 Posts)
napkin Tue 29-Jan-13 20:45:17

Would like it to be 6kg and have a good quick wash and handwash setting.

Zappo Tue 29-Jan-13 20:53:16

www.reevoo.com/p/candy-gofs272-80-grand-o

I have something a bit like this- 30 minute or 45 minute wash- many other wash settings- not sure about handwash.

Can't go wrong with Candy in my experience

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 29-Jan-13 20:58:09

Try here - good prices, detailed reviews and brill delivery- have ordered tumble d and washing machine from them and were v pleased

napkin Tue 29-Jan-13 21:31:22

Thanks to you both, just had bad experiences with machines and want a reliable machine that other people can say is good.

PigletJohn Wed 30-Jan-13 11:38:11

Buy a Bosch, or a Miele if you can afford it.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Moredofbumsnet Wed 30-Jan-13 13:49:28

I bought this recently after our old hotpoint gave up after 12 years of daily use.I have never had a bad experience with a washing machine so couldn't justify paying twice as much for a bosch.

notso Wed 30-Jan-13 13:56:17

I'm really happy with my new Bosch one, but the one before was a Candy one and it lasted 11 years.

DayToDayShit Wed 30-Jan-13 15:12:55

6kg drum is not that big. I stupidly bought one last year, and have regretted it ever since. And it is shit too. My other one blew up one mornig so dashed out and bought first thing to hand. Hoover Optima. Don't get one! You have been warned!

DayToDayShit Wed 30-Jan-13 15:15:57

Agree with notso, bosch was the best one I ever had. Hotpoint, I never get more than 2 -3 years out of, but me bosch did 6. Which these days is pretty good going for a washing machine. They don't make them to last like they used to.

toastedteacake Wed 30-Jan-13 15:43:37

I have a Miele which is 8 years old, absolutely brilliant. It has separate delicate, woollen, and silk washes. Lots of extra options for extra rinses, timed soaking, and pre-wash, all of which I use regularly.

It hasn't had anything go wrong. The only maintenance it gets is a 90• wash every now and then. Oh and clean out the filters.

I think I may need to replace the door rubber this year as it is cracking, but we do live in a really hard water area.

Expensive but has lasted twice as long as the Bosch I had before and shows no signs of giving up. And it is really quiet compared to the Bosch too, on a gentle wash you can't even tell if it's on the spin cycle.

Love it.

Unless you can afford an Miele (i can't but one day hope too) don't spend over £300 on a machine.

This was the advice given to me by a washing machine repair man.

They generally don't last long (especially if you move), average life spans of machines are based on two washes a week! The bigger the drum the less likely they are to last and use liquid not powder/tablets.

Also information from the repair man.

We have a 6kilo Samsung that has all the settings you require and cost us £300 + £50 repair (post move). It's coming up to 5 years old and has survived 3 moves and touch wood doing OK. M

toastedteacake Wed 30-Jan-13 20:05:19

Just to add my Miele was an end of line, in the sale and cost us just over £500.

If you have utility room to hide it in there are company's on-line that sell Miele graded goods, which might just mean a small dent in the side or a chip out of the enamel.

We did this when buying a new oven and got about 60% off. There was a small dent in the side of our built in oven and now fitted can't be seen.

Shall hopefully remember that information. That's about 50% off isn't it?

PigletJohn Fri 01-Feb-13 00:27:16

no budget given, so Which best buys for 6kg or more, selected Miele or Bosch (including Siemens), freestanding, white, the top few are (best first)

Miele W5780 £829 scored 80%

Miele W1914 £799 79%

Bosch WAQ28461GB £419 78%

Siemens WM14Q390GB £566 77%

Bosch WAQ283S0GB £390 77%

Bosch WAQ24461 £376 77%

Miele W3228 £849 77%

there are more

napkin Sat 02-Feb-13 15:24:17

Budget is around £500. Where did you get your Miele from toastedteacake? Don't want a Bosch as not too keen on a 15min quick wash more around a 30 min quick wash and had a bad experience with a Bosch in the past. sad Doe's anyone have a 6kg Lg Direct Drive? Heard lots of good reviews but also read they don't rinse that well?

fussychica Sat 02-Feb-13 15:34:22

I have an AEG with variable everything. It's fab - even though I am redoing the kitchen at the mo and could really do with an integrated one I'm sticking with this one. it was about £450 I think - bought in Spain in Euros so not sure.

BoffinMum Sat 02-Feb-13 22:26:44

I've just bought a large Miele from John Lewis and it's doing very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now