Servalan having a panic again - need the thoughts of "normal" people!

(18 Posts)
Servalan Tue 29-Jan-13 19:49:23

I have OCD and sometimes post on here when I'm getting into a state about something because I never know when I'm experiencing a legitimate fear or OCD.

OK - so the panic tonight - I washed my daughter's dressing gown and bedding today and tumble dried them. Got them out of the drier to put on her bed and realised that I accidentally put her cosy socks in the dryer with them. The socks are those house socks that have foam rubber (I assume it's foam rubber anyway) pads on the bottom to make them slip proof.

I know you are not supposed to tumble dry foam rubber - though I don't know if it is because it is dangerous or if it just ruins the foam rubber!

So if you had done this - would you be telling yourself that all the bedding and DD's dressing gown are contaminated, or would you not give it a second thought...?

Cheers

flossy101 Tue 29-Jan-13 19:54:47

I wouldn't give this a second thought.

Don't worry smile

BeaWheesht Tue 29-Jan-13 19:56:50

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Contaminated with what? She wears the socks anyways doesn't she? Do you mean cos they've been washed / heated? It's only not recommended because it will wreck the rubber non slip bit, no danger.

JellyMould Tue 29-Jan-13 19:57:58

I wouldn't give it a second thought. I would assume tumble drying would damage the foam rubber.

SwedishEdith Tue 29-Jan-13 19:58:18

Wouldn't cross my mind

Servalan Tue 29-Jan-13 19:58:49

Ah - the way my head works is... maybe it will have released a dangerous gas with the heat, maybe it will have got into the fibres of the bedding and DD will breathe it in... it's great inside my head hmm

Servalan Tue 29-Jan-13 19:59:19

(the hmm is at myself btw!)

SamSmalaidh Tue 29-Jan-13 20:00:39

I always tumble dry those socks if that helps, and it never occured to me I shouldn't. The rubber bits seem to have survived ok.

Nothing to worry about, I would think fluff might stick to the rubber so they would be less non slip? But wouldn't harm the rubber itself. Mine have them and I always tumble dry them.
Good luck your doing really well! X

headlesslambrini Tue 29-Jan-13 20:05:42

I wouldn't give it a second though either. any gases would be released from the fibres of the bedding when you flip them about to put them back on the bed IYSWIM

tabulahrasa Tue 29-Jan-13 20:06:14

The do not tumble dry is for the safety of the socks, not you.

It's just that the foam rubber might be more likely to come apart from the heat. It won't do any harm. And if something did release a gas in your washing machine, it would evaporate anyway and not "stick" to other fabrics.

Well done for asking though - it's difficult to know which worries are sensible and which are not, so I think this checking is a good plan. So long as you believe us!

Servalan Tue 29-Jan-13 20:15:04

I believe you - thank you so much smile

IDreamedADreamOfSausageRolls Tue 29-Jan-13 20:17:59

Not trying to make you feel worse but unless you live in a car-free village on top of a mountain in Switzerland your DD is breathing in small amounts of unhealthy gases all the time, so are you, so are all of us! Our lungs are designed to cope with them (up to a point). But no danger of poison gas from the sock treads anyway smile

Abigail9580 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:38:12

Don't worry, we all need a little re-assurance every now and again. I would have tumble dried the socks and not worried about it. On the plus side, they will now be all fluffy and soft to wear again-lush!! Xx

SlatternismyMiddlename Wed 30-Jan-13 12:50:22

Hope you are feeling reassured about the bed clothes. I know I'm reading this a day late but also wanted to add in that you don't need to worry, no tumble drying is for the benefit of the socks.

specialsubject Wed 30-Jan-13 18:55:20

nothing is contaminated. The foam rubber may be damaged which is why it is not recommended.

keep asking, no-one is born knowing these things even without having OCD.

sparkle12mar08 Fri 01-Feb-13 21:00:40

I wouldn't have given it a first thought, let alone a second...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now