Going rate for a cleaner

(6 Posts)
clam Mon 28-Jan-13 20:02:39

Am in Home Counties. Have bust my leg and, whilst dh and the dcs (and friends and family) are all mucking in, it's not really sustainable or up to my standards.

I think I'd need a one-off clean to be starting with, followed by either weekly or fortnightly for the medium term - possibly may keep it up for good, as have been meaning to look for a cleaner for a while.

So, how much is reasonable? Is it safest/easiest to go with an established company, albeit probably a bit more expensive, rather than try to find a 'treasure?'

omletta Mon 28-Jan-13 20:08:08

I have a treasure, but if I didn't have her I would use an agency to come and blitz occasionally whilst I was at home, there are few people I would trust in my home without me. My treasure is a friends mum, she does much much more than cleaning, more of a housekeeper really.

A recent thread on here would suggest that £10ph is the going rate.

HystericalParoxysm Tue 29-Jan-13 08:37:34

£10ph, more like £12-13 if an agency. I have sacked every agency I have ever tried and had much more success employing someone directly. Depends how much you need sickness/holiday cover really.

We are paying £10 an hour (Herts).

DeepRedBetty Tue 29-Jan-13 08:42:29

Unless you get a really good personal recommendation you're unlikely to find a 'treasure' in your time frame. 'Treasures' by their nature are usually extremely busy/fully booked!

Go for an agency. If you're in the house when they're there, they won't skimp the job, especially if you imply it'll be an ongoing contract....

£12 an hour is the going rate for agencies round here (NE Wilts)

clam Tue 29-Jan-13 10:45:40

Right, will get phoning!
Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now