How can I get the smell of urine out of the carpet?

(8 Posts)
pinkpaperpiggy Tue 29-Jan-13 12:30:21

Did the bicarb work?

reddaisy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:51:57

The bicarb is still down as I will hoover it in the morning but already I can't smell it when I walk in the room. We have only had the carpets for a few months so I don't want to have to hire a cleaner yet and we have Febreze but that would just mask the smell.

Febreze.

PigletJohn Mon 28-Jan-13 16:19:33

this makes it worthwhile hiring a wet carpet shampooer. You can do the rest of the house, especially downstairs, and will be amazed at the amount of dirt that comes out.

reddaisy Mon 28-Jan-13 10:42:24

Thanks! I will give bicarbonate of soda a try now!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 28-Jan-13 10:21:32

Biological washing powder is meant to work but I have always had success with a solution of good old bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar.

pinkpaperpiggy Mon 28-Jan-13 10:17:05

Bread soda (bicarbonate) is excellent at removing smells. Sprinkle it on, leave it for a few hours and then vacuum out. I haven't tried it for urine but worked amazingly well on a carpet that was on the receiving end of a vomiting bug.

HTH

reddaisy Mon 28-Jan-13 10:13:34

DD didn't make it to the toilet on time yesterday morning and weed on her bedroom carpet. I have treated the patch by rubbing it with soapy water and it still smelt awful so I left some vanish carpet cleaner on it overnight and it still stinks! Any tips gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now