how to dress a window?!

(12 Posts)
SpanishFly Mon 28-Jan-13 00:00:26

We have bought new (cheap but nice) duvet cover and lightshades etc. Also bought a roller blind. I dont want curtains up - the room is small and curtains have made it look too"fussy" in the past, along with the fact I cant seem to find any that match/coordinate.

In years gone by, I'd have bought fabric or voile to drape round a curtain pole to soften the window - but that's obv outdated now. What can I do instead so that the window isnt stark? Or would a roller blind be fine as long as there's a vase or similar on the sill?

tia for suggestions x

SpanishFly Mon 28-Jan-13 19:25:56

Anyone?

Mandy2003 Mon 28-Jan-13 20:14:51

Shutters (louvres) like this fixed in the open position surrounding the window?

Or vinyl stickers - a trail of stars, butterflies, flowers etc in a random pattern right around the window? I'm not too keen on them but the adverts on eBay they always look pretty good.

reliablemillipede Mon 28-Jan-13 21:24:35

Is Voile round a pole really outdated now ??

SpanishFly Tue 29-Jan-13 13:07:22

I think it is outdated - but maybe i'm wrong...!

Mandy, thanks v much indeed - i'll have a look at the links

notso Tue 29-Jan-13 13:19:04

I think it is outdated, it makes me think of Laurence Llewelyn Bowen/Changing Rooms.

What about those long opaque panels you get in Ikea, you get them on a sliding rail like a blind but they go outside the window.

I think the voile pole thing looks fussier than a pair of curtains, I would go for curtains that blend with the wall colour rather than contrast or stand out too much.

reliablemillipede Tue 29-Jan-13 19:24:52

Time for an update for me !!

SpanishFly Wed 30-Jan-13 06:24:48

Hmm, Mandy, I think I may have found what I need, in terms of stickers. It's a quote from a song - I know that sounds naff, but I like it smile
Thanks for the idea - I hadn't considered going down that route.
I figure that a bit of detail beside the window will work, rather than having the focus on the window itself.

SpanishFly Wed 30-Jan-13 06:37:09

Notso, thanks for the idea - the panels wouldnt work in the room, as there is so little space between the window and my side of the bed that i'd keep bumping them when i walked past. I'm going to look into them for my dining room, tho - thanks smile

Mandy2003 Wed 30-Jan-13 13:08:18

Oooh, that sounds good SpanishFly! Will you post a photo when its done?

SpanishFly Wed 30-Jan-13 13:11:30

i've pm'd you smile

notso Wed 30-Jan-13 13:24:01

What song Spanishfly [nosy]. I saw a bathroom on May the Best House Win with a wall covered in lines from songs, I am hoping to copy it when we eventually do the bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now