IKEA Hemnes daybed

(32 Posts)
wickedfairy Fri 25-Jan-13 18:54:07

We are thinking of buying this for DS (6) - does anyone have this already and if so, what do you think? The drawers underneath will be great for storage and we need the flexibility of it turning into a double for when grandparents come to visit (one weekend every couple of months).

I am slightly worried that the foam mattresses wont be supportive enough - do you think they will be ok for a child to sleep on? Apparently you have one on top of the other when it is in single mode, so would that increase the support level? Thanks!

MousyMouse Sat 26-Jan-13 23:19:30

the ikea foam matresses come with a long warranty (10y I think). the thin ones are ok for a child but not for constant use by an adult I would say.

shhhgobacktosleep Sat 26-Jan-13 23:33:34

We have this for dd (16). Great storage and like others managed to build it myself. We bought 2 of the more expensive ikea mattresses reccommended for it and as someone else has mentioned a single fitted sheet fits perfectly over both of them. Never noticed any slippage of the 2 mattresses but maybe the fitted sheet solves that. Dd does complain that its too hard though but then again she is away at school so only uses it for holidays and as she hardly weighs anything at all she probably hasn't even broken them in yet. She keeps telling me to go sit it on it to soften it up (cheeky mare grin)

Love ours, just be aware that in 'double' mode a double fitted sheet is nowhere near big enough!

Rascalls3 Mon 28-Jan-13 00:01:32

My 17 year old daughter has this bed. As a single she finds it high and narrow(I may try the tip about putting the second mattress behind the bed, though). She has it as a double all the time ( despite a VERY small room) and loves it. I have slept on it and it was fine, although I wouldn't fancy it every night. Ikea recommended their slimmest 80 cm wide mattresses,so that they are not really, really high when stacked.
My husband put it together, he's an able DIYer and we haven't had any problems with it. Although it is heavy and a bit awkward to pull in and out-not helped by the huge amount of stuff she stores in the drawers! Would definately recommend it, especially if you can store the second mattress else where.

Porkster Mon 28-Jan-13 00:13:39

My son has this bed and loves it.

He has 2 single mattresses on top of each other, we bought slightly more expensive ones than the ones on display.

I think it makes a great double too.

It's very handy for sleepovers too as he just puts one of the mattresses on the floor.

He has cushions & pillows on it during the day, so it looks like a sofa.

JaiP Wed 27-Feb-13 11:44:02

I have just bought a day bed - 200 x 80 cm (x 2). Im having difficulty trying to find suitable covers for it. Any ideas as to what fits best? Singles are too big!

JaiP Wed 27-Feb-13 11:51:15

I forgot to mention - those are the mattress dimensions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now