Q re using leftovers, batch cooking and safe reheating rules

(16 Posts)
Mspontipine Tue 29-Jan-13 12:08:45

I sometimes cook the mince for cottage pie (with onions, tomatoes etc) then freeze in single use portions. To use defrost overnight and pop mashed potato on top. (if I can buy ready done mash to freeze all the better!!)

ceeveebee Sun 27-Jan-13 16:14:00

Aargh- spag Bol not boo!

ceeveebee Sun 27-Jan-13 16:13:38

Spag boo etc then freeze. I don't see the benefit in freezing a part made meal, to me batch cooking is all about being able to defrost and just eat without any further effort!

ceeveebee Sun 27-Jan-13 16:12:37

I would do as Mrs Hoarder does. Rather than just cook mince, turn it into cottage pie, spag b

MrsHoarder Sun 27-Jan-13 15:53:25

For your cottage pie example I would make two pies. When you make it up all the parts are cooked, Tue last stretch is just to retreat/finish off.

PolterGoose Sun 27-Jan-13 15:46:24

Yes!

An alternatives would be to make the soup before freezing the leftover chicken. Portion it and freeze it as soup.

sedgieloo Sun 27-Jan-13 15:12:54

Thanks poltergeist. So just to be totally clear ( sorry we had norovirus over the hols and now I'm super paranoid) in this scenario:

Large roast chicken
Family enjoy one meal
I debone the rest and freeze
I defrost and make a large pan of soup
I can eat and then reheat the soup for another day but not refreeze for another day

Thanks in advance

PolterGoose Sat 26-Jan-13 11:17:37

I think the key to batch cooking and freezing is to portion up before freezing. I use these from Lakeland which come in different sizes so you can portion up easily. They stack well in the freezer.

I think the advice is you can freeze once raw and once cooked. If you then re-heat leftovers be sure to get it to piping hot temperature.

WowOoo Fri 25-Jan-13 18:50:21

Oh, so to answer your Q : Yes, you can reheat! Err on the overheating side and leave to cool if in doubt.

If it's been hanging around for days I say bin it, DH says nuke it!

WowOoo Fri 25-Jan-13 18:48:27

I cook, freeze and eat. Anything not eaten after that is refridgerated and eaten next day. I wouldn't refreeze defrosted stuff.

Why not sort out the amount before the initial freezing? Then you have say enough mince for 6 portions. A dinner and lunch the next day for example.
Or you have fresh mince and freeze cooked meal in portions. Only defrost what you'll eat that day or next.

That's what my mum told me. I'm sure she gave us food poisoning once and that's why she went a bit nuts about reheating and cooking times.

bigbadbarry Fri 25-Jan-13 18:45:28

Yes, definitely. And not freezing cooked mince twice is more about quality and texture than bacteria; it is unlikely to hear you,

sedgieloo Fri 25-Jan-13 18:43:19

Ok I got it on the freezing front thanks. So the pie can't be frozen but can leftovers be heated for example for lunch the next day?

if you defrost and cook mince and then made up a pie you could freeze the pie and reheat at a later date. If you cook mince, freeze it then defrost and make up a pie then you shouldnt refreeze it as it has already been frozen and defrosted. You could make a load of mince and then make up the pie using the excess before freezing it to get round the second freezing and defrosting stage.

You can freeze once in a raw state and once in the cooked state.

sedgieloo Fri 25-Jan-13 11:33:54

Thanks for the reply. If though I made a large pie with the defrosted cooked mince can I save half back to reheat. Even freeze and reheat?

PeachActiviaMinge Fri 25-Jan-13 11:15:05

If you freeze the mince raw then cook it into a dish you can indeed refreeze it cooked as it changes the molecular structure and makes it safe to do so smile Just reheat until piping hot .

sedgieloo Fri 25-Jan-13 10:36:35

I'm working at changing my approach to cooking for my family now I have two young children. I've got a slow cooker and I am batch cooking to make life easier.

This is embarrassing but I'm unsure of the rules

For example if I make up a load of mince and save back some and freeze, can I then later make a large cottage pie and save back half of that and freeze and reheat. Or would I need to refrigerate only? Or would we need to eat all of the said pie?

Sorry I've been married 18 yrs I should know this but I have tended to cook daily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now