Static in clothes

(5 Posts)
lizzie712 Wed 23-Jan-13 20:43:28

My husband has a couple of golf polo shirts that have recently become full of static, they cling to him terribly. I thought it may have been because we recently changed washing powder/ fabric softener but tried going back to our original brand with no luck. I don't tumble them but put them on a hanger to air dry. We have tried rubbbing them with tumble dryer sheets and spraying them with hairspray with no luck. He has tried appying body lotion before putting them on, again, no luck.
Any ideas ????
Thanks!

MousyMouse Wed 23-Jan-13 20:47:04

it's probably because the fabric is a mix of polyester and cotton.
try to buy pure cotton next time.

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 23-Jan-13 20:48:07

In America there is a spray for static. Very helpful to keep skirts from clinging to tights. But, America has colder winters and so more static. (Freezing air is dryer). I think your husband's problem will go away when the weather warms up next week.

Other than that, I was going to suggest rubbing with a dryer sheet. But, you tried that. Do you dry them with dryer sheets?

(I'd sort of forgotten about static, because it's such an American thing for me. Take your hat off and your hair stands up! And, there's also the joy of crossing a carpeted lobby and being shocked by door knobs.)

orangeandlemons Wed 23-Jan-13 20:48:27

Do you use fabric conditioner?

lizzie712 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:38:14

Yes, I use fabric conditioner, and no, I don't tumble them, I air dry them. Regarding buying cotton, yes, I could do but something has changed with these shirts, they used to be fine. Maybe the cold weather as someone has suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now