The minimalist quiche

(971 Posts)

This is a new thread to replace the minimalist journey one which is nearly full!

BranchingOut Tue 26-Feb-13 21:56:46

I have been lurking on the thread for a while, but just wanted to say well done Boffin Mum for un-choking your DH! Must have been scary...

MrsPennyapple Wed 27-Feb-13 12:26:09

I've just been on music magpie and entered ten CDs. Two weren't recognised, and the other eight would earn me a grand total of £1.94. Most were about 22p, a couple were more. The highest was 30p! I'm not sure what this says about my musical taste...

Sokmonsta Wed 27-Feb-13 13:41:41

Oh mrsp. That sounds like something I'd end up with. Tempted to do it anyway, or carboot as many as I can. The ones I want to keep ill see if I can get on iTunes or something.

Today's decluttering has been getting rid of rubbish and paperwork in the lounge. It's going well. It infuriates me that things just get dumped all over the table and I want to be able to sit and eat at it as a family.

MrsP - Well I've just sold a collectable egg cup ( Bodum design of 1980's) on ebay for the grand sum of 99p. I'm hoping my Villeroy and Boch Flower Fairy plate will fetch a little more!

I think that I've not got to worry too much about how much money I make. If I make a bit, that's grand but the main thing is getting stuff out of the house!

My decluttering is still being side-tracked by work!

Sokmonsta Wed 27-Feb-13 17:24:19

Woo hoo! Table set for 4 for tea smile

Paintyourbox Wed 27-Feb-13 17:38:10

Mrs P I took mine to a car boot and charged £1 per CD, no one queried the price at all though I did end up taking DPs Miley Cyrus CD to the charity shop hmm

We have achieved quite a lot today- dropped the bookcase off to a friend so it's no longer cluttering the landing, someone from freecycle is coming for a dinner set and wine glasses later, posted 4 eBay parcels, boxed up some books for carboot sale and DP had packed away the surround sound system we never use so we can sell it on gumtree.

sommewhereelse Wed 27-Feb-13 21:33:00

I've had a few days away staying in a seriously overcluttered house. It's cluttered with some beautiful stuff but there's so much you don't see half of it.

I think I'll reorganise the basement along the 'shopping mall' theme. At the moment things are arranged according to where they best fit to maximise the space but we will forget where we've stored them.

Hopefully we won't need to maximise the space when I've finished sorting through it all and got rid of some of it.

NQP what make a mince pie plate different from any other plate?

MrsPennyapple Wed 27-Feb-13 22:32:15

I wondered what a mince pie plate was too. I had a mental image of someone going to use it for sandwiches, and NQP saying "Not that one, that's my mince pie plate! smile

I went through my clothes again today and moved some things around. I've charity shopped some stuff that will no longer fit, and now have a drawer for clothes that will fit me for a bit longer yet. All the maternity clothes that were in a box on the bedroom floor now fit in the drawers too, and I had a pile of stuff for selling which I've moved into the spare room. Only a few items actually left the house, but the bedroom looks so much tidier!

grin Looks like people are doing well.

I'm enjoying looking at stuff in my wardrobe and seeing what new combinations of things I can wear together. I''m getting a bit bored of wearing the same outfits over and over so have decided to see if things will combine differently (which they will!). It's not exactly de-cluttering but it does mean I'm not bringing new stuff in, just re-discovering old stuff which is nice!

Other than that, no real de-cluttering being done here( apart from the egg cup that sold on ebay) but work is very busy for some strange reason atm! I think it might be because I'm starting to be a little bit more organised so as I'm working I'm taking a bit more time to organise and think through stuff! That's my excuse anyway!

LemonBreeland Thu 28-Feb-13 12:15:21

Jealous of not having either a loft or basement to make into a shopping mall. envy

I seem to have stalled this week. I still feel unwell adn am very tired after work so haven't got much done. Dh is also moving business premises this week so has not been home until well after all the DC are in bed each night. Dealing with sorting all 3 dc out is enough to tire me out.

My table is now not getting collected until tomorrow, but I also have someone coming for my pop up travel cot.

Although I have not go much done this week, I have not lost any motivation at all, and feel quite frustrated that things are moving slowly. Once I've made the decision something is going I want it out of the house straight away. Just looking at items still being there annoys me.

arti I have been trying to be more creative with my current wardrobe too, since I started following the blog about clothes, can't remember what it is now. It's amazing how you suddenly realise that items can be worn totally differently.

Lemon I don't have a loft or basement either so I'll join you in the envy stakes!

Laughing at the teasing re: mince pie plate! It's actually a kind of frosted glass platter with a raised image of snowmen on it. It only ever gets used at Christmas, and only ever for mince pies!

Know what you mean about wanting things out the house immediately once you've decided that they need to go Lemon!

Sokmonsta Fri 01-Mar-13 11:58:26

Well today's decluttering started by putting 3 baskets of clothes back together from all over the floor. And wiping furniture polish from the patio doors. Little $$*%#}$}$*,€€\¥=+€

pixiestix Fri 01-Mar-13 13:09:44

Fairly hideous week. Not managed anything since Monday and I'm just so so tired. Working now until Sunday night so a fairly wasted week all in all sad If I could just get an 18 hour sleep in then I'm sure I could face everything head on.

When is LittleMammoth due Silent?

LemonBreeland Fri 01-Mar-13 13:33:38

My coffee table left the house this morning! My living room looks huge now. I also rearranged the furniture in there last night, and am much happier with the look of it.

Am going away for the weekend to visit my Mum so I don't have time for more decluttering, although I am taking a storage box to my Mum.

Hope there's light at the end of the tunnel pixie, and you manage some pixie time next week.

lemon make sure that you fill that storage box before taking it to your mum's!

We've got (very messy) family friends staying this weekend. Really hope I can be laid back enough to enjoy it & not be uptight about their clutter everywhere. Sometimes hate myself for being so anal but why can't they just keep their possessions with them instead of spreading them all over the house? And don't get me started on their insistence on keeping their mobile phones ON THE DINNER table - aaaargh angry

Sokmonsta Fri 01-Mar-13 20:43:47

Evening! Well nothing done today sad and tomorrow is another busy day so planning on getting back in track Sunday.

Am quite pleased though that dh seems to be taking more pride in the house again. Just need him to sort out his clothes and the bucket in stuff he's left in the downstairs toilet....

sommewhereelse Sat 02-Mar-13 06:17:53

NQP I hate mobile phones at the table. What are your family circs like? Can you make a 5 year old into water monitor and advice your guests their phones would be safer elsewhere?
Assuming your house is less cluttered, you might find they are tidier with their stuff. It may be more obvious to them that it is left lying around if the surfaces were clear to start with?
I find it helpful to clear one of the cubes in the living room unit before guests so there is a specific place for them to keep their bits and bobs that they want to have accessible during the day without having to go up and down to their room. It used to take a while but next time it will only involve removing 1 treasured bowl or 1 child's creation. smile

sommewhereelse Sat 02-Mar-13 06:19:22

advise

Boonyjinkies Sat 02-Mar-13 07:39:00

Have been really inspired by this thread. Have made numerous trips to the charity shop and masses in the garage for carboot. Have sold 10 items on eBay and made £80 this month. Completely reorganised my wardrobe and got rid of about half my clothes, bags and shoes. I read an interesting blog where the writer scores her clothes out of 10, and she did it when she was shopping too. Unless the item improved the score of her wardrobe, she didn't buy it or keep it. I've been following this theory when clearing my wardrobe. So I've got nothing in there that is below a 7 at the moment. The aim is, when I have the money to replace item, that I will have nothing that isn't a 10. So fewer items but everything is something I love and gets worn. (Hope this makes sense). It's really helped me get rid of things that I had but didn't really like, had spent a lot of money on but not quite right, or didn't fit properly. I'm sure you could apply this practice throughout your home.

Teddimac Sat 02-Mar-13 09:59:43

NotQuitePerfect saw this and thought of you - first to check their phone pays the bill!

Great idea about making a space for guests' clutter downstairs sommewhereelse - I always try to clear them a drawer or some hanging space in the spare room, but of course it's the little everyday bits and pieces that are more untidy. I now do this whenever my older brother comes to stay accompanied by various phones, ipad, chargers, keys, etc, which he leaves lying all over the place. I've allocated him a big wooden bowl that has been unceremoniously dubbed 'BrotherTeddimac's bowl of sh*t', and that's where it all goes grin. Now I just need to apply the same principle to myself and the kids and we're a long way towards order in this house!

Been a bit derailed this week by sick kids and visitors, but keep checking in for inspiration from all of you. Love your 10 idea Boony, that kind of thinking will eventually prevent a lot of unsatisfactory stuff from getting into the wardrobe in the first place.

MrsPennyapple Sat 02-Mar-13 10:35:04

Ooh, phones at the table, GRRRR! Hate it!

We already have a bowl of sh*t, it contains all sorts of bits and pieces that don't really live anywhere else. It's not ideal, but at least they are all in there, rather than spread over the bookcase and table.

Minimal decluttering here, as I've caught DD's cold and am feeling sorry for myself. Not that there's time for decluttering, in between nose-blowings (hers and mine).

blossombath Sat 02-Mar-13 12:18:25

Oh pixie I feel your pain - this week we had our first family illness (DS only just 1). All struck down by vomiting bug, thankfully not at same time, mean time off work on top of a busy week anyway and a colleague away means I'm working in every evening and nap, rather than decluttering much. But have ti find time for some housework as DS party is this weekend and next weekend we have guests staying over. Its one of those times where I feel like I'm just muddling through, living for the next time I can sit down and relax.

Have managed a few bits, like taking a bag to charity shop where i also bought a present for DS which is bigger than the bag I took and hopefully today some freecyclers will come for kitchen bits and old wrapping paper which I have finally decided to part with.

Thankfully I am seeing benefits of work done so far - managing to keep living room and kitchen nice and tidy as there is less stuff in there. lemon I too have begun getting rid of furniture - just a chest of drawers so far but it meant I could move chairs and set up a knitting corner in my living room where one day I will relax. Agree that it makes you feel so much nicer about your space.

boony love the 10 idea!

Right, off to get on with this ruddy work.

Tired and finding it hard to keep going!

blossombath Sun 03-Mar-13 08:32:25

arti hope you're feeling a bit more energetic, but if not maybe you should sit down near your best decluttering achievement and have a bit of a rest and reflect on how much you've done. plus tea/cake/wine/arti's favourite treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now