The minimalist quiche

(971 Posts)

This is a new thread to replace the minimalist journey one which is nearly full!

wedding dress obviously - a bit expensive to do weeding in!

BoffinMum Sun 24-Feb-13 19:25:11

DD is 25 and very single after the love of her life chucked her recently.

I coud do with the money, tbh.

Sokmonsta Sun 24-Feb-13 22:16:06

Boffin: If you could do with the money and don't mind getting rid of it, that's what I would do. Popularity of designers changes all the time so while you can get something back, it makes sense.

Today I got dd's dolls house put together. It's only been about 3 years! She will be thrilled when she wakes up as she didn't know I was doing it.

Decluttering continues in earnest tomorrow. It will be the children's toys which take a hammering!

blossombath Sun 24-Feb-13 22:17:14

boffin have you spoke to your DD about it? Now might be a tricky time but I think if I found out my mum had sold her wedding dress without asking me when I was an adult I might feel a bit upset - like she hadn't thought of me. Perhaps, though, your DD isn't a sentimental (ex) hoarder like me.

grin at bric a crap and futility rooms. envy at shops in lofts, for us it would have to be shops in damp-cupboard-under-stairs-which-lead-to-flat-above-ours, which currently houses two neat (and decluttered) boxes of christmas decorations but will eventually be our loft of sorts.

we were away this weekend so nothing done, and DS has a tummy bug now so not too much hope for tomorrow (or next few days if I get his bug) but I have a mini goal of weekend after next when we have family visiting and I want to be visibly more minimalist for them.

Sokmonsta Mon 25-Feb-13 12:24:06

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew today.

Since we have a friend coming over tomorrow, I thought I'd clean and rearrange the bits of the lounge I can manage on my own..... It's going ok. Rearranging is easy. Cleaning it is harder. Thankfully I've found my magic eraser so I don't have to get the paint out where the children have been all over the walls/woodwork. It's shocking!

Morning Sokmonsta

It sounds as if you are doing great though! Your friend will understand if there are traces of your dcs on the paintwork!

I'm struggling with motivation and energy generally today. Have managed some work though this morning! About to watch a (hopefully) motivational work related video before lunch!

Sokmonsta Mon 25-Feb-13 13:26:39

Very true. He's also a nice tall, strong bloke, handy with woodwork, power tools and technology. Why is it when you go to do something, you realise it can't be done even though the principal was sound.

I can't move our tv as nearly all the other bits which go with it need an Ethernet cable. The sky box isn't an issue as it was going to stay where it was. But I've got a Blue-ray player, Xbox and i think apple tv which are all connected to our broadband router via a cable. Am hoping he/anyone can tell me that it is possible to have them connected wirelessly. Or at least buy very long Ethernet cables??

hobnob57 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:47:46

Today's small project has been kids' books, thanks to a dc3 meganap. We have a collection to rival the library. I have made 3 piles - keep, let kids choose, bin/donate. Not surprisingly the ones I want to keep are the ones that were favourites of dc1, just hoping we don't get fed up with them by the time dc3 needs them. And some of my old books, helpfully (?) donated by my mother, have been hard to part with. A science book inscribed by my grandfather is the only thing I have from him. It is staying. I am also finding it hard to pare down the board books. I know dc1 only had a handful, but now we have more than 3 kids' worth of them I can't choose which ones to keep. So they are all still there.

MrsPennyapple Mon 25-Feb-13 13:52:48

Blossom makes a very good point, Boffin. I was thinking of it from the other side - that maybe she would think "Mum has saved her wedding dress for me and I really don't want to wear it - how will I tell her without hurting her feelings?" If you can leave it where it is until a suitable time crops up, and then ask her, that might be best. If she's aware of and supports your decluttering efforts you might get an opportunity, even though it is probably a delicate issue for her just now.

I have done no decluttering for ages. I wish I could have a proper blitz on it and actually see some difference, but I just don't get time to drag cupboard contents etc out, with DD running around.

I keep thinking I haven't done anything and then think oh yes, there was this and then that... We seem to be on our second or third round of going through things and are coming up with more things that we don't want or need.

DP and I went through our wardrobe again and came up with a bagful of stuff to eBay or charity shop. I realise that we have lots of multiples such as football socks or basic t-shirts and that's after having cleared through the original six pairs of PJs etc that I did on the first thread. Also lots of multiples of toiletries to be used up - DP has six separate lots of moisturiser and I have four lots oaf hair products on the go.

We've put more stuff on eBay and relisted the stuff that didn't sell the previous week, most of which has gone. I've also been spending more time on decluttering my virtual life - unfriending people on Facebook who I haven't seen in over ten years or worked in the same office with several years ago feels strangel. It's as if they're going to come and tell me off (probably says more about me than anything).

boffin I would talk to your daughter about your plan to sell your wedding dress. I think resale values of pretty much everything are going down and it might to be worth as much in a year or two.

Paintyourbox Mon 25-Feb-13 17:19:23

Hi everyone!

I was away this weekend so didn't get a huge amount done- have managed to sell 3 more items on eBay which is great.

I also had (another) declutter of the kitchen and have a dinner set, wine glasses, coasters etc to get rid of (someone coming to collect them on Wednesday)

Another bag of baby clothes washed and ironed for my friend too.

All in all it's getting there slowly!

Sokmonsta Mon 25-Feb-13 17:44:27

Dh reckons we can move everything and, as planned, leave the sky box in the corner. He doesn't use on demand that much (which we need Internet for) and some things we can get via iPad/wii so we can manage until we find a long term solution.

Have had a productive day in that the lounge has been cleaned and things put in cupboards. Just tidied out of the way for now so they can be tidied properly another time. Maybe tomorrow or maybe later. But for now the lounge looks relatively uncluttered.

Am rather pleased with myself. I've even got the marks from various scuffs and scrapes off the walls without resorting to just repainting.

Hob nob, my plan for tomorrow is the kids books!

Books have been a significant challenge for me. I think that because they are books, they should be exempt. Now, I had a slim through some of the dc books, and honestly, some of them are dated tosh!

maternity leave has started and dc all in childcare tomorrow! Will update as I go!

hobnob57 Mon 25-Feb-13 21:36:57

Having excavated a knee high pile 'to go' I am still astounded how many are left. But I still feel bad about saying bye to books.

CrisisOfFaith Mon 25-Feb-13 21:57:28

sokmonster how did you get the marks off? I am looking at a whole house repaint and it's driving me mad.

(Have name changed for another thread at the mo btw.)

BoffinMum Mon 25-Feb-13 22:50:07

I think I will have a chat to DD next time she is home and get her to at least try it on. If I am wrong and it looks shit, then we will know where we stand. wink

Sokmonsta Tue 26-Feb-13 07:56:11

Magic eraser! It's marvellous. The only thing we have with our walls is they're pretty poorly done plasterboard, so if you rub too hard you take the paint right off.

But it's a block of foam stuff, mines huge so I can cut a piece off when I need it. Rinse it under the tap and off you go rubbing. Takes mucky prints off walls, marks off floors (not carpet), can even be used to clean pots and shoes amongst other things.

My lounge looks even tidier now those marks are off. Am going round the doors today where small people have put mucky fingers going in and out.

pixiestix Tue 26-Feb-13 08:57:57

Thanks for that tip Sok, I will definitely be getting some of that. 2 yo DD has put paid to us ever getting out deposit back on our rented flat but that might help a bit!

I sent off another box for We Buy Books yesterday (HOW much money have they given to MinQers?!) and 7 items to the charity shop so I feel a bit more on track. Today will be a Flylady day as the house is starting to look a little out of control....

Morning everyone!
I seem to have ground to a bit of a halt with decluttering. It's partly because I have to work [sob] but also I think because I have done quite a few "quick wins" and probably need to get into the deeper recesses of a cupboard shelf or two to make more progress! I'm reluctant to do that and work at the same time as I'm not sure I'll have the time/energy to finish the task! Any tips gratefully received!

I also like magic erasers - though if I rub too hard it does bring the paint off too.xxxxxxxxx

LemonBreeland Tue 26-Feb-13 10:50:26

Dammit, just wrote a long post and lost it. Summary is

magic erasers are great. grin

I have someone buying my coffee table tomorrow, which will free up loads of space in my living room.

I have also removed a large trunk from the DSes room that was used as a dumping ground. The feeling of my house effectively growing in front of me is wonderful.

My Mum is also taking a storage box I don't use as it will fit in her cupboard perfectly.

This thread has not only spurred me on with decluttering small crap, but now to removing items of furniture. I never thought that it would go that far, and didn't even want or feel the need to lose furniture, but it is making me so much happier with my home.

It's like mining, isn't it Lemon?!

Well, I made an un scheduled attack on the Barn of Doom (to excellent effect, if I say so myself!)

Four large bin bags in car, and realistically I better stop there for now out will never get it in bins now we are on fortnightly collections.

Also organised dc shoes, I keep them all and get friend to check sizes, she used to work for shoe shop so I trust her judgement. Dc1 last set of school shoes cost me 45£, so it's a significant saving with soon to be five.

Is this the sort of magic eraser you guys are talking about?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PCS-Magic-Multi-Sponge-Clean-Foam-Cleaner-Cleansing-Eraser-Car-Wash-Kitchen-/271087789168?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5868271843017475629%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271087789168%26

I might be tempted to splash out a princely 99p and give it a go.

Little and often is the way forward I reckon. Sunday I scanned some more photos to eventually put in photo books. And today I've started going through some cookbooks again and have another five on the potential charity shop list.

Sokmonsta Tue 26-Feb-13 15:34:20

Certainly looks like it. I got mine in Sainsbury's when they were doing the doktor power stuff half price or less so that's a good price for probably the equivalent amount. <males note to check eBay when this block has run out>.

Today has been a day of organising and laundry rather than decluttering. Only because I had a change of plans and less time than I needed anywhere!

Today I have taken to the charity shop a huge juicing machine that we bought DH for his birthday about 6 years ago. It was in perfect condition, complete with instructions & recipe book, but it had to go as it hadn't been touched in at least 5 years - it gradually moved from the kitchen work top, to kitchen cupboard, to futility room shelf, to loft. Had to be practical and face up to the fact that we are never going to use it again. It used to take about 6 oranges to produce half a teacup of juicy froth!

Also gone - a wicker Ikea footstool, a wicker fruit bowl/tray and a cushion.

It feels good smile

Ugh! Work is just getting in the way of me de-cluttering. I've only just finished marking and writing up lessons from today!

I have however remembered the box of devastation where I just shoved paperwork about 18 months ago to try and "tidy" it! I reckon each foray into it where I actually deal with a handful of items has got to count towards my "365 items out of the flat" challenge! That's quite good as a lot of things are now so out of date they can be chucked/shredded and each foray only takes me a couple of minutes to deal with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now