The Fledglings' nests will be clean in 2013! Part II.

(372 Posts)
superfluouscurves Mon 21-Jan-13 10:22:20

(With many thanks again to Jdub for title inspiration!!)

OK, because we are all so good at chatting housework, we need a second January thread ... .

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

Carry on everybody!

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 03:56:42

****************************************************************************************************************

Baby-step 26 for Sat 26th Jan is here guff about it taking a month to establish a habit & more guff about Big Tent nonsense

No zones or missions because it is the weekend

Saturday is family fun day

Today's flight plan

Reminders!

Have a good one everybody and hope to be back on the thread during daylight hours tomorrow!!

**************************************************************************************************************

Toffee just came across this by accident - apologies if you have already seen it/it is stating the obvious/you are already on top of it

Engelsemama Sat 26-Jan-13 08:57:53

I think it goes something like this sc

He is a super pooper cranky crapping toddler
Exploding nappies galore
Washing machine can’t take much more
Wiping bums is such a chore

grin

Engelsemama Sat 26-Jan-13 09:17:00

Not sure what today has in store. DH is going to fill up his car in Germany (it's a lot cheaper) and also book my car in for a service. So am home alone for a few hours with DS.

To do

2 loads of washing (1st is on)
Washing up (sink was not so shiny last night blush)
Empty bins
Tackle dining room table hotspot

Lots of little things I have to do - put card in post for friend, online banking, Re-do bird feeder.

This afternoon DH and I are going to look at the stairgates and where to put them (and maybe even put them up!)
Maybe we'll have another session in the loft while DS is sleeping (wonder what we'll find this time!)

Happy flying (and family fun day) everyone smile

ToffeeWhirl Sat 26-Jan-13 09:37:40

I love your Abba tribute, Engels grin.

SC - thanks so much for that link - that's really useful. DS2 was absolutely fine at school yesterday so that makes me feel a bit better. In fact, he had a supply teacher who was apparently huge fun, so he had a great time <phew>. You have my sympathies about sending your DD to school when she's having these fainting incidents. What is the GP doing about it now?

Not sure what today holds in store, but decluttering, tidying up, swimming and having MIL over to tea are on the list.

Hope you all have a good day.

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 09:38:40

Ha Engels grin!! I like it!! grin

now I think about it, Bennie and Bjorn seem to have had a bit of a poo obsession ...

"Knowing me, knowing poo, ah ha ...."

"I poo, I poo, I poo, I poo, I poo" (substitute for "I do, I do, I do, I do , I do")

"Mama mia, here I go again "

"Breaking up is never easy, I know but I have to go wink"

grin

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 09:47:55

Toffee thanks - dd has had tests and they have come back fine apart from low blood sugar - so doc has suggested oat cakes every 2 hrs and a diet that does not have too many sugar spikes ..She is fine for two or three days and then it comes back. Hopefully it is a phase she will grow out of.

Good to hear your ds2 had a good day at school after all yesterday

ToffeeWhirl Sat 26-Jan-13 09:59:59

I'm glad the tests were ok for your DD, SC. I hope the new oat-cake regime works.

Have just read the Flylady homeschooling tips page - really, really useful and inspiring. I like the idea of the DC having their own chores every day.

You missed out 'Take a chance on pee' in your Abba list, SC grin

Cuddledup Sat 26-Jan-13 11:45:20

Thanks for all the sympathy about the rotten letters I had to write yesterday. (4 letters of condolence plus 2 letters of complaint to the NHS) Anyway letters written and posted - PHEW - great weight off my mind.

I'm loving all the stuff about Abba. Staying on that theme --does anyone remember the film Priscilla Queen of the Desert one of the main characters has one of ANjeta's poo's in a locket round his neck !! grin

DD (aged 8) is on a mission this weekend to tidy up my clothes / wardrobe and get rid of all my tatty clobber! Since all my clothes are in the bedroom then we're working in the right zone!!

Have a good weekend all.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 26-Jan-13 11:57:31

Have just finished typing out new bedtime routines for DC, after our current ones weren't working. DS1 (13) complained last night that DS2 (7) gets lots of attention at bedtime, whereas he gets what is left over. As I usually do the bedtime routine whilst DH sits on his arse watching telly I am usually too exhausted to do yet another long routine with DS1 after putting DS2 to bed. Cue: discussion with DH about sharing the bedtime routine. We now have two schedules printed out and we are going to take it in turns to do bedtimes. Hope this works and stops me feeling resentful that I usually do it all.

Am interested to know what the rest of you do about bedtime routines.

Castlelough Sat 26-Jan-13 11:57:45

Good morning everyone!
<ignores the clock>

Have been missing in action a bit - apologies.
< leaves a large pot of coffee out for other hardworking fledglings >

Have not been doing much cleaning of late, the house needs a good crisis clean!

Have been exercising and have been diligently calorie counting on MFP and have been working hard towards my debtfreewannabe goals (thanks to one of you sending me over to check out that website back in August smile)

Am smothered with a cold so am going to give myself a small list today -

1. Blitz the boudoir - hotspots, vacuum, change bedlinen, declutter magazines.
2. Reboot laundry, iron and put together some outfits for work next week.
3. Bake bread and make homemade soup.
4. Have tyres on car checked and replaced if necessary and book NCT (MOT).
5. Dinner (chicken stir-fry)
6. Shred and have a bath (have pledged to turn myself from frump to fab this year, in babysteps!)
7. Declutter toiletries and cosmetics (and start using them up!)
8. Muck out, groom, and tlc for my darling horse smile.

Right that is quite a good list!
Off I go and bbl x

SilveryMoon Sat 26-Jan-13 12:57:43

Toffee Bedtime here goes a bit like this:
6:00 - the boys are told they have 10 minutes until it's time to tidy up
6:10 - the boys are told to tidy up and get undressed for the bath. I run the bath whilst sorting dry washing
6:15 - boys in bath. Dp oversees whilst I wash up and clean kitchen
6:30 - boys out of bath and me and dp rotate which dc we help to dry (they both want me so someone is screaming at this time)
6:40 - both boys are dried and pj'd and we are sitting down on sofa to read books
7:00 - I walk boys to bedroom and tuck them in.

If dp is working, I let one boy stay in the bath a bit longer whilst I dry the other one. They take this in turns.

Toffee - the actual timing of bedtime varied because of Cubs, Brownies etc but assuming we are all at home after tea it is

6.15 - 7 ish watch TV, chat, play, eat fruit and milk
7-7.30 ish bath, teeth, vitamins
7.30 - 7.45 sort clothes for next day plus any extras eg football kit and put away laundry.
7.45 - 8.15 ish me and the DCs in my bed, they both read to me, I read to them, DS practices spellings on the Ipad, we do a bit of speech therapy work (they both need that).
Then either they both go to bed or sometimes DS stays up to do a bit if social story work or similar.

Don't really have tuck in / lights out, I just send them through and stay in bed for 15 mins having my turn on the Ipad, so I can intervene if necessary, usually they just chat a bit, read a bit and pur themselves to bed. They are 7 and nearly 9 and share a room.

BTW DH usually sits on his arse on the sofa through all this, TBH it's easier that way and he does clear the kitchen.

When they were younger and had separate rooms one of us read with each and then swapped over but since they moved into one room it's been easier if one adult does it. DH sits with them in the 6-7 TV slot while I potter as I can't stand children's TV.

Engelsemama Sat 26-Jan-13 13:21:59

Toffee I only have one DS and he's a lot younger than your DC (15mo) but have the same problem with me doing bedtime 90% of the time. I know DH is struggling, but I get him make him do one bedtime a week minimum. Our routine is bath (if bath night), pjs, teeth, story. Have reminded DH that I am only reading DS stories in English, so if he wants his Dutch to be up to scratch then he'd better start taking his turn more often!

Castle sounds like you have some positive resolutions this year. I should Shread as well today. It's still way too cold and slippery outside to chance a run <wimp>. I should make the same pact to actually use things like nail varnish, lipstick, mascara, eye shadow, body lotion, foot cream, hand cream...I have all this stuff but unless it's the basics (shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/deodorant/toothpaste/foundation and powder for work days) I just don't use it!

Ta da
Washing load #1 dry and folded (#2 is on)
Emptied out and cleaned handbag
Polished boots
Emptied bins
Hoovered downstairs
watered plants
Washing-up
Updated finances spreadsheet
Booked car in for service during my half term
Tidied car
DH - put up bird feeder again (the string on it broke so has a new cord, unfortunately we don't have any bird seed/nuts to refill with, so that goes on my list for Monday)

To do
pizza this evengin (making dough now)
dining room table hotspot
stair gates

ToffeeWhirl Sat 26-Jan-13 13:41:04

Thanks for the bedtime routines. Our problem is that there is a big age difference between the two children (six years), so we can't put them to bed at the same time and, if we do a proper bedtime routine with DS1 as well, it all goes on for hours. However, DH and I have discussed how to keep the routines shorter (DS2 does spin his out) and I do see DS1's viewpoint that his little brother gets more attention than him at bedtime. New routine (starting tonight) goes like this:

DS2 6.45 Bathtime; brush teeth; PJs
7.15 Bedtime story
7.45 Bedtime cuddle/chat
8pm Light off

DS1 7.30 Bathtime; brush teeth; PJs
8.15 Bedtime story
8.45 Bedtime cuddle / chat (still wants cuddles at 13!)
9pm Reading time on his own
9.30 Light off (listens to radio till he falls asleep)

This still means bedtime routine lasts nearly three hours, but I don't see how we can cut it down because of the boys' different needs. At least if DH is doing his bit, the other one of us can get on with tidying up the kitchen / sitting on their arse on the sofa for a while.

Our bedtime tends to stretch out, which is as much my fault as anyones as it is my favourite part of the day, apart from the bit where I have to ask them about 15 times to put away their clean clothes and put dirty ones in the basket. Luckily I go to bed pretty late myself so still get a good couple of hours free time once they're in bed.

Castle / Engels - I've been neglecting my appearance lately too, since New Year I've ben wearing my glasses on more days than my contact lenses for various reasons and it makes doing my hair and make-up very difficult (can't see well enough to do either without lenses/glasses) as well as making me feel frumpy. I have also totally neglected my nails, they had gone all dry and flaky and 3 broke this week. Anyway I went to book a hair appointment yesterday and the woman on the desk had fabulous glossy wine red nails, so I went to Superdrug and bought a similar colour (for £1), gave myself a thorough manicure and now have lovely glossy (short!) wine red nails too, feel better for the effort. We've been swimming this morning and my hair is swathed in conditioner under a towelling turban, about to go and get my lenses in and give myself a decent blowdry too. I am also sticking to MFP, lost 3lbs so far (3st in total needs to go). Little things make a big difference.

As for Flying, hmm, not too bad, got washing in the machine, need to go and clear the lunch dishes and get stuck into a bit more paperwork. I'm out babysitting tonight and the other mother has kindly invited DS to sleepover as well, which DS was delighted about, so I need to get cracking a bit this afternoon.

LillethTheCat Sat 26-Jan-13 14:28:32

Well I had two lists all dependant on weather and if I was in or out for the day. As it happens Im doing a mixture of both grin I didn't make one for going to York, deciding the small roads to houses we needed to go to would be too sludgy/icy/dangerous and me being pathetic so turning back so getting home 5 hours earlier than planned. So here is today's list:

tada
- wipe down windows
- Make beds
- Wash up
- wipe bathroom
- turn on washing machine
- go to York and come home early

to do
- wash up 2X
- shine sink
- 15 min front room
- 5 min cupboard room rescue
- sort out clothes for Sun
- dry laundry
- put laundry away
- fill washing machine up for Sun
- read advice list (full of good lift my spirits quotes)
- do puzzle with DD1

Oh well we had a drive out and got out of the house even if we were back for a late lunch

Anyway going to relax for a bit after driving (partly in some awful sludgy snowy horrible roads) and nearly crashing as my car didn't want to stop on a particularly slippy bit. Was lucky there was no traffic on the road I was coming onto. I think that shook me up a bit and made me refuse to drive down the small roads.

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 14:44:04

Helllooooo. Hope you are all making the most of the last snowy weekend of the year (apparently). We've had 4 hrs of fresh snowfall already - it is perishingly cold too.

Have had a lovely morning: cleaning out, stroking, and playing with rabbits smile although one was unusually docile so I am a bit concerned about her (although she is eating/drinking/pooing/peeing/running around as normal - and teeth, eyes, ears, bum all look fine). Perhaps she has just made leap from bolshy adolescent to calm adult. Will be keeping an eye.

Re-booted laundry, did quick supermarket shop, made veg soup and ate it.

Watched woodpecker on bird feeder [pretty amazing given we are in the middle of big city]

Then played with dd and Playmobil house for one hour (quite enjoyed it!!)

That's it so far ...

Whoknows/Engels*/*Castle You have given me pause for thought. I'm afraid my beauty regime is at an all time low. I just can't get enthusiastic about my appearance until I lose some weight. Amazing how little things - like manicures and pedicures - can make one feel a bit brighter though.

I can see how the age difference between your two makes bedtimes a challenge Toffee. 3 hrs does seem like an awfully long time out of your day though (having said that, I have no idea as to what time dc start going to bed by themselves .)

Dh always does Weds evenings if he's here (as I've had dd all afternoon - no school then) and I always do weekends and then we share it out during rest of week depending on dh's travel plans/work hrs/our respective energy levels. Dh doesn't read story though, whereas I do (only time dd gets to read in English with an adult so important). Whoever doesn't do bedtime, stacks the dishwasher. Much easier with only one child though.

Groan at 'Take a chance on pee' grin

Good luck with paperwork whoknows

Hope you feel better soon Castle well done re: MFP diligence (I will be returning properly in Feb - promise!!)

Cuddledup well done for getting the tough stuff done and posted! Hope the wardrobe makeover goes ok - fab that your dd volunteered!!

Big snowy wing flaps to eveyrone else!

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 14:46:14

Cuddled btw Priscilla Queen of the D is one of those films I've always been meaning to watch and have never got around to it ...(I always watch films at least a decade or two after they have been released for some reason)

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 15:14:38

Glad you made it back ok on slithery roads Lilleth not pleasant driving at all

Well today is the 2nd day in a row where i will have done fuck all flying.
Ds has thrown a MASSIVE temper about having the house tidy. Because a tidy house is change and he doesn't like change. FFS.

GoingGoingGoth Sat 26-Jan-13 16:15:38

Bitchy brew wish I could think of something helpful to say.
SC Pricilla is brilliant

Done
Beds
Windows scraped
Dry washing away
Washing up
S&S
Bins & recycling emptied
Afternoon with Dd, went to park, visited animals, went to library.

To do
Dinner
Wash up & SS
Ironing (small amount)
Knitting, another jumper for Dd

goth told him he finds mess stressful and he has to get over it and deal with it. Because tidy is going to become the new normal.

GoingGoingGoth Sat 26-Jan-13 17:07:59

Bitchy good for you grin whenever he starts being stroppy, just think of us all behind you. If necessary I'll get my Pom-poms out (and I don't offer them to just anyone)

Engelsemama Sat 26-Jan-13 18:42:55

tidy is the new normal grin I like your style Bitchy

Whoknows you have inspired me. Have just put DS to bed and now am soaking my feet. The foot scrub, cream, nail varnish is all lined up. Until a week ago I hadn’t blow dried my hair for about 2 months as I “didn’t have time” but have realized that spending 10 minutes on it means I have good hair for 2 days that doesn’t frizz up (unless I get rained on). Haven’t worn my lenses for a month. When I very occasionally rock up to school without glasses, a bit of make-up on and some nice clothes I always get strange looks as no one recognizes me!

Had a very lovely homemade pizza tonight – recipe from “Usborne my first cookbook” grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now