The Fledglings' nests will be clean in 2013! Part II.

(372 Posts)
superfluouscurves Mon 21-Jan-13 10:22:20

(With many thanks again to Jdub for title inspiration!!)

OK, because we are all so good at chatting housework, we need a second January thread ... .

... where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that we can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave us with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling we get when we are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once.

To avoid being inundated with details, we advise not signing up to the Big Tent

We are in the process of following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

Flylady site here

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

Carry on everybody!

ToffeeWhirl Mon 28-Jan-13 23:41:15

Silvery - I'm glad your new routine of getting time with your DC went well today smile. Looks like you have managed a lot of Flying too.

Lilleth - grin at your friend's comment about 'secs'. Glad I'm not the only one who's made that mistake.

Cuddledup - tricky to know what to do about your DD. It would be more straightforward if she had had diarrhoea because then you would have to keep her at home. I would act as if she is going to school in the morning and only then, if she complains that she still doesn't feel well, take her temperature and make a decision. Of course, you can feel ill even when you don't have a temperature. I tend to think it's better to keep DC at home and find out they're actually fine, than send them to school and then find out they're really ill. (But obviously not if they keep doing it!)

Blue - thanks for offering to run the next thread.

Am pleased with how this morning went, thanks to getting up a bit earlier. As I also got home from school earlier, I had done all my morning routines and had breakfast before I sat down to do home ed with DS1. So my day looked like this:

Ta da :

School run early - arrived on time
Put rubbish out
S&S in bathroom
B/fast for DS1 and myself
Unloaded and reloaded d/w
Put washing on
Unloaded tumbledryer
Put all the plates and stuff on the draining board away
Swept kitchen floor
Emptied bathroom bin
Phoned DH re food shopping
Folded dry washing and put away 1/2
Home education (included watching 'Roots' for our slavery topic sad)
Packed DS1 off to bed with two hot-water bottles (ill with a virus)
Tumbledried washing
Lunch
School run
Accompanied DS2 to playdate
House envy
Home for dinner
New bedtime routine
Long chat with DS1 (not sleepy as he slept this afternoon)
Hot chocolate and MN

Night all.

superfluouscurves Tue 29-Jan-13 06:33:43

Blue thanks very much indeed for volunteering to run Feb thread - v. kind of you and much appreciated!

Back later after school run etc.

superfluouscurves Tue 29-Jan-13 06:34:43

Hope your dd is OK this morning Cuddled

feetheart Tue 29-Jan-13 07:00:46

Toffee - thanks for oven link, that looks just about right. Will check Which? recommendations today and go from there.
grin at 'no time for secs'

Jdub - you can have our 'bored jar' list if you want. Not sure how old your DC are but mine are 9 and 7 so our things may or may not be relevant but at least its a starting point, no need to reinvent the wheel smile If anyone else wants a copy just PM me. Toffee - would be interesting to compare lists.

Got through most things yesterday apart from work as apparently our server is dying so SAGE refused to work. DH is going to rig something up so that I can work today as need to do end-of-month stuff (like pay us!). I also want to keep going with catching up as, like engels, I felt much more in control by the end of last week when I had spent time actually doing work rather than procrastinating and struggling. Really need to keep the momentum going.

To do:
- All up and out
- Leaflets into school
- Work
- Morning routine - in stages!
- Cook salmon for dinner so ready when DC come in
- Reading at school
- All fed, DH and DS to Beavers, DD to Brownies (45 mins to myself if I'm lucky!)
- DC to bed
- Ironing

Nearly 7am so best get on.
Have a good day everyone.

Cuddledup Tue 29-Jan-13 07:30:44

Thanks v much for the wise words about DD. I got her up and dressed, have given her breakfast and she's still complaining of tummy ache. So it's back to bed for her and I'll now have to wake up DH and tell him he's babysitting. hmm

I spoke to the chemist yesterday and he said there are lots of tummy bugs going around and she may just have one of these and the fact it hasn't become a full blown one is just her body's way of reacting. He also suggested keeping a record of how often she gets these tummy aches. (Strangely she's had two in the past fortnight - on MOndays!!- so is this also a bit of "Schoolitis"? )

As she often complains of tummy aches at school her teacher has suggested she may have growing pains in her tummy. Can you get such a thing ? !

superfluouscurves Tue 29-Jan-13 08:12:59

[removes empty bottles of Baileys from naughty corner]

Morning eveyrone - looks like you have all had v. productive Mondays - really really impressed and humbled by all of your amazing ta da lists!!

Sorry your lo is still poorly cuddledup Have heard of growing pains in legs and arms but never in tum I must admit. More likely to be a bug I would have thought (or perhaps a bit of anxiety?). Hope it passes quickly whatever it is though! (oh and arf at moudly crotch!! grin)

Feetheart <"I felt much more in control by the end of last week when I had spent time actually doing work rather than procrastinating and struggling" I definitely need to follow your good example!! Judging by your list, you look really on top of things!

Wow Toffee you had another mega Monday! smile Hope your ds1 recovers soon.

Blue still have choir envy Thanks again for volunteering to run Feb thread and just a reminder about putting 'fledgling' in title so you don't get over-run.

Yet more substantial ta da lists from Silvery Lilleth Goth Engels - Beginners and Mercury well done everyone!

I like the sound of your mantras Lilleth Thanks for shopping reminder - I buy most of dd's on-line and normally do it early or all the sizes go.

Great you were able to fit in special time with your boys on top of everything else Silvery

Engels great you are feeling less overwhelmed and more on top of school work (my sister is a lecturer and is permanently buried)

Goth tweezers are my friend too wink

Mercury how you managed to get all of that done after killer shifts like that I do not know! Respect!

Snowgirl we have two thank you letters still to go!!

Jdub it's lovely to see a bit of sunshine finally isn't it - pouring with rain here today though

BeginnerSAHM "DH has his own lists which take priority" sympathies - this often happens here too - I wouldn't mind but it is always sprung on me at last min.

Waves to cjbk bitchy and everyone else!!

Sorry the above round-up wasn't very inspired or witty - slightly distracted by everything that needs to be done here. There's so much I daren't post a list!

Hope you all have a productive day!

LillethTheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 09:39:43

Morning

tada
- Wash up after breakfast (or rather DH did)
- Turn on Washing Machine
- Make beds

To do
- second load of laundry in as I wont have much time tomorrow, plus I want a short list tomorrow as im getting old its my birthday
- Dry Laundry
- Put Laundry away
- wash up 2X
- shine sink
- get clothes ready for tomorrow
- 5mins cupboard room rescue
- tidy front room once DCs are in bed
- Dentist
- Running club (I will get there)

not doing
- fill washing machine ready for tomorrow
- possibly go to town for some new clothes for DD2. All her trousers are ruined by crawling and now she is walking Im thinking of getting her some nicer trousers. Might look at some shoes as well now she is walking. going tomorrow

Thanks for offering to do Feb's thread Blue

Hope your DD feels better soon Cuddled Re growing pains, I had a supervisor once who was adamant her DS got growing pains so I would suggest that they are real, but not everyone gets them, unless of course people dont talk about it for fear of people thinking they are lying.

Hope you can get work sorted feet and get paid.

Right off to put that second load of laundry in and sort the cupboard out for 5 mins so I can mark another two off my list. All the time remembering:

- Tidy is the new normal
- Dont put it down, put it away
- Never leave a room empty handed

Snowgirl1 Tue 29-Jan-13 10:00:06

Morning all

SC hope your sinus headache has gone – they are proper painful

Cuddled hope your DD is feeling better soon

Goth hope the interview goes well

So, tada (although I always feel my tada lists are more tada-ish compared to what some others seem to achieve)

Bed made
Hung washing to dry
Re-loaded washing machine
Sarnies made for lunches
Off to work…

To do

Buy natural breadcrumbs
Buy vests for DD
Post thank you letters (all done…until I remember someone we’ve forgotten – I should’ve been more organised and written a list!)
Layout clothes for tomorrow
15 min declutter in lounge (might do it in our office area instead – it’s a hot spot and as it’s in our hallway (previous owners had a desk built-in under the stairs) you can’t miss it, although I seem to do quite a good job of ignoring it when I want to).
Sofa diving
Change duvet cover in our room
Get spare bedroom ready for my Dbrother who’s coming to stay on Friday night
Put car seat base on eBay
Stitch knitting project together
Speak to DD about babysitting
Shine sink
S&S
Go to bed at reasonable hour

I’m sooo not going to get all that done.

Hmm, so Tuesday is planning day. I think I’m going to have to work meal planning a bit more to find the right balance for me. I’ve tried this a few times and found that I’m over ambitious and end up buying food to cook and then having an evening (or week!) when DD just won’t go down, so end up just re-heating some soup and at the end of the week have a ton of fresh food going off. DH is sadly not a cook (but he makes up for it by being brilliant at DIY and car-stuff).

ToffeeWhirl Tue 29-Jan-13 10:30:02

Cuddled - DH had a bug recently which gave him a bad stomach ache and made him feel ill, but no other symptoms, so I would guess your DD has a bug. DS2 has growing pains in his legs at night - never heard of them in your tum confused.

Feet and Jdub - can we swap 'boredom buster' lists? Mine is aimed more at my 7-year-old than my 13-year old.

Feet - good idea to check the Which report. If it's bad, don't tell me!

SC - sorry your list is so long today. Hope you get it all done.

Lilleth - I like your three Flying tips. I always remember: "Never go upstairs empty handed" (my Nan told me that smile).

Snowgirl - I have the same problem with food going off. I was going to cook beef casserole last night, but ended up accompanying DS2 to a playdate and then getting home too late to cook it. So it was pasta again...

DS1 still poorly today. Have cancelled his Maths lesson and I don't think he'll be able to go to his climbing lesson tonight either. He is dosed up with Calpol and has a spray for his sore throat.

Like your DD, cuddled, my DS2 complained of a tummy ache today. However, he was trying to hide a smile when he said it, so I concluded it was 'schoolitis'. Funnily enough, the stomach ache had gone by the time we arrived at school hmm.

Ta da :

Up and dressed
Washing on
Packed lunch for DS2
New morning routine
Phoned tutor to cancel Maths
School run (in the rain)
B/fasts for DS1 and me
Washing in tumbledryer
Checked emails

To do :

Unload and reload d/w
Put washing away
Tidy kitchen
Kitchen hotspot - 2 minutes (pref 5)
Dining-room table hotspot
Home ed - as much as DS1 can manage
Tidy our bedroom
Lunch
School run
Organise play dates for DS2
Eve routine

Jdub Tue 29-Jan-13 10:59:10

Thanks Toffee I shall try those out on the small people at the weekend when the inevitable cry goes up ..'mum I'm bored!!!!!' The very act of retrieving instructions from a container other than me, will be a hit for sure! Funny what spurs them into action! I might even try it on myself with the stuff I keep putting off!

Had a quiet evening, and all that talk of Baileys has reminded me I need to fill my ice cube tray!

Today my ta da's have been
all up, dressed, fed and out (clutching required paperwork, 'showing' article, fruit for snack sharing etc etc)
beds made, rooms aired.

to do
a general clutter swoop (after hooshing inlaws home)
meal plan for Wednesday
file all of the Christmas receipts/recycle catalogues that were all just stuffed in the boxes! And this is where I shall indulge in a Baileys as a little nod to what a fine festive season it was!

Happy Tuesday folks. x

GoingGoingGoth Tue 29-Jan-13 12:59:00

Afternoon all, well I've done interview, it went ok, will find out next week.

Short list today

Done
Beds
Windows -all clear again!
Found makeup ( I'd forgotton what the bag looked like)
Interview

Currently sat in a lovely little cafe owned by a friend, drinking lattes

To do
Move off this comfy sofa
Collect Dd
Dinner
Wash up & SS
Do more applications

GoingGoingGoth Tue 29-Jan-13 13:00:16

Thanks for the good wishes, sorry that should have been 1st thing on the post.

LillethTheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 14:04:40

Just popping in with a quick afternoon recap

tada
- Wash up 2 X
- Make beds
- second load of laundry in as I wont have much time tomorrow, plus I want a short list tomorrow as im getting old its my birthday
- Dry Laundry

To do
- Put Laundry away
- wash up after tea
- shine sink
- Dentist
- Running club (I will get there)

Good luck for the job goth

Jamillalliamilli Tue 29-Jan-13 16:43:25

Huge thanks for the sympathetic and correct description of my dentist, it’s had a good result. It’s actually very difficult for me to get a dentist at all as most are non-wheelchair accessible or closed to NHS patients. Mine was actually not w/c accessible either but they took me on claiming they’d assist, then insisted I could only come if I brought someone to get me in and out, which is very rarely.

So spurred on by your comments, I had a bit of a rant at the powers that be, which brought up why I’d left my previous dentist; a new one arrived with ‘interesting’ views on disabled parents and little interest in teeth!

A small miracle happened and I've been allocated an out of area dentist! Totally unheard of here.
And she's a kind and caring young woman, understands why a smile is so important to me, accepts I have no money, and has agreed to take on offspring too!
I have no idea what I haven't done that I should have (lots) but now have front teeth!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Engelsemama Tue 29-Jan-13 17:46:44

Thanks silvery ! Am going to read and edit for my own use tonight when I get back from my run (in the rain).

ToffeeWhirl Tue 29-Jan-13 18:39:09

<puts sunglasses on>

Hurray for front teeth, Just! I can see them shining from here! grin

I am so happy that you have found a caring dentist. I think I have been through every NHS dentist locally and they were all pretty horrendous. One had been taken to court for sexual harassment of his dental assistant and another(who smelt of booze and had nicotine-stained fingers) ended up shouting at DS1 for being afraid and making him cry. I finally found an absolutely lovely young woman just round the corner and will hang on to her for the rest of my life, if possible!

Jdub - glad you like the boredom busters. I hope they work their magic (still untested here).

Goth - hope you hear good news from the interview.

Lilleth - Happy Birthday for tomorrow! <offers wine and thanks>

I have been rubbish this afternoon. Managed to do some home ed with DS1, then had to go to bed before getting up for the school run. Finally realised that aching and feeling tired might mean I have caught his bug. Missed Pilates tonight sad, but I felt too achey to go. DH helped sort dinners and tidied the kitchen after I said I felt rough. Early night for me tonight, then will hopefully feel better tomorrow.

I will confess to an early night last night. I will confess to having slept during the day today. I am also planning an early night tonight. I have seen the doc, got a diagnosis which needs processing, and have a stinking cold on top of that. Minimal flying here.

ta da
dishwasher on
1 load of washing on

LillethTheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 19:45:27

Evening

tada

tada
- Wash up 3X
- Make beds
- Dry Laundry
- Put Laundry away
- shine sink
- Dentist

not doing
- Running club (its persisting it down out there --fair weather runner I am--)

tomorrow's list
- Make beds
- Wash up minimal amount after tea (Will get DH to wash up after breakfast and will leave lunch things till after tea as there will only be a couple of things)
- go to town for some clothes for DD2 and out for breakfast with DH and DD2

Why does 34 seem so much older than 33? I think its because I can no longer convince myself that Im still early 30's from tomorrow sad

Just - Glad to hear you have found a good dentist and some new front teeth. I must admit Ive always been lucky in the fact that until I moved last March Ive been going to the same place as long as I can remember and Ive found one here with signs saying they are taking on NHS patients.

Bitchy - Sorry to hear you're having a bad time, hopefully now there is a diagnosis things might start to get easier soon. Just make sure you look after yourself <whispers When you are lying on your deathbed, you are not going to look back and wish you had spent more time cleaning the house> Hope you feel better soon thanks

<waves to everyone else>

LillethTheCat Tue 29-Jan-13 19:47:19

^ ^
l l l l
l l l l
l l l l

Strike-out fail there

ToffeeWhirl Tue 29-Jan-13 20:31:15

Bitchy - sounds like there are much more important things than flying going on in your life. Hope you're ok.

Lilleth - I would love to be as young as 34. Make the most of it!

DS2 is in bed. Have handed over responsibility for DS1 to DH and am taking myself off to bed. Night all.

The diagnosis just explains a lot of stuff. Changes nothing but expectations of what will be the new normal as apposed to what is normal for most. I.e. the constant pain isn't going to fuck off it is the new normal level of pain. So it needs a bit of processing. I also need to stop with the high massive levels of energy expenditure on the days i feel ok so that the bad days aren't so bad iyswim. Will get there but it needs processing.

GoingGoingGoth Tue 29-Jan-13 20:57:52

Just brilliant news re the teeth, and so good you've got a nice dentist.

Lillith Happy Birthday, have a great day.

Bitchy hope things start to pick up soon, you've been going through a lot, bugger the cleaning until you feel up to it.

Crikeyblimey Tue 29-Jan-13 21:07:44

Oh Bitchy, good luck with be processing. Take care of yourself.

Can I pull up a chair in the naughty shed with a brew and a fag?

Not posted for days. Only managed to keep up with food making and washing up. Dh has taken over the washing machine - he is re-waterproofing all his mountaineering gear ready for his trip to Scotland next week.
In my defence, I've been working, finishing sorting my late mum's house clearing (completion day next Monday) sad

I have cleared out a cupboard in the kitchen to keep my new to me "naice" china that I've inherited.

I'll try harder for the rest of the week.

Cuddledup Tue 29-Jan-13 21:24:19

Am sooo tired so just a brief update.
Bitchy sorry to hear about the diagnosis - an early night is definitely called for. Don't forget FLYing stands for Finally Loving Yourself so that's definitely permission to say "sod housework" . Would you like the left over Bailey's from last night? (Rummages down back of sofa to find bottle!)

Just brilliant news that you've found a nice, helpful dentist. Your last one sounded bizarre - surely a dentist is paid to mend teeth not to tell people not to bother having them sorted out. IMO he should be struck off!

Update on DD "schoolitis / mystery tummy ache" - thanks for the words of support - after two hours of sitting in bed reading this morning and having been told she'd have no telly until this evening she decided school was preferable, so DH took her in. ! However, I"m getting strict about bedtimes as I think she's rather overtired and I think that's contributing....

Hv done enough flying this evening to be fairly smug. Am now off to have a bath and read Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall - god it's a long book----hope I don't fall asleep and drop the kindle in the bath!
Night all xx

superfluouscurves Tue 29-Jan-13 21:27:24

Evening everyone.... hope you've all had a good day - steps for tomorrow first ...

******************************************************************************************************************

Baby-step no. 30 for Wed 30th January is here checking calendar for important forthcoming dates such as birthdays etc

We are continuing in Zone 5: Living room/den/TV room here

Try and declutter for 15 mins in the current zone per day.

If your Zone 5 is already decluttered, you can progress to detailed cleaning.

Tomorrow's mission is 5 mins dusting sitting room knick knacks, frames, mirrors etc

Wednesday is anti-procrastination day here [Do something you have been dreading and feel the weight lift from your shoulders!!]

The habit for January is, of course, keep shining that sink!

And if I've missed anything or you want a quick reference to tomorrow's tasks, have a look at the flight plan which should update daily.

Keep going every one - and be proud - you've nearly completed a whole month's Flying!

***********************************************************************************************************

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now