Tell me about your pots and pans

(22 Posts)
Wildwaterfalls Mon 21-Jan-13 09:30:34

We bought our pan set about 7-8 years ago and it hasn't lasted very well. Everything sticks to the bottom, the outsides look all burnt...

Anyway, thinking of investing in a new set. What do you cook in? Any brands that will last us a long time?

Thanks

Le Creuset-stainless steel saucepans and then the heavy stoneware stuff for the oven. Love it all.

greenhill Mon 21-Jan-13 09:45:47

Tefal saucepans are excellent as are Le Creuset stoneware. I use a mix of M&S and Sainsbury's kitchenware too.

MoreBeta Mon 21-Jan-13 09:47:56

Good quality stainless steel heavy bottom pans of various sizes for boiling, a heavy black iron skillet for searing/frying meat etc. and special steel crepe pan for pancakes.

MrsGeologist Mon 21-Jan-13 09:53:53

The non stick coating is coming off my tefal pans. They were a wedding gift, so <thinks> 4 and a bit years old. I am not impressed.
Also, they aren't oven safe, which has been a but if a PITA more than once.

I love my cast iron griddle pan, and we are slowly replacing the tefal pans with copper ones.

MoreBeta Mon 21-Jan-13 09:55:05

Try looking at wholesale professional cookwear supplier sites like Nisbets and Russums as you wil find the prices much much cheaper than normal retail shops. They deliver to your door and the quality of the pans and equipment is professiuonal kitchen standard. Very hard wearing.

I like the Vogue range of cookwear which you can find at those links. Not too expensive and good quality. I know a catering college that exclusivley uses Vogue pans. Not a brand you will see in the shops but very good for the price. The de Buyer range of iron and steel cookware is also very good.

I confess to covetting a huge set of copper pans but at £50 for a tiny sauce pan it is beyond what DW will let me have.

Reaa Mon 21-Jan-13 09:59:31

I have a Jamie Oliver set made by Tefal, worth every penny.

bluecarrot Mon 21-Jan-13 10:04:01

I have a le creuset casserole dish, saucepan and frying pan. All really heavy but great at keeping heat in and I turn heat off sooner than I would in a metal pan.

DewDr0p Mon 21-Jan-13 10:08:25

I have John Lewis own brand stainless steel saucepans, frying & saute pan, stockpot, steamer basket. They are 15 years old, cook really well and look like new.

K2ZJH Mon 21-Jan-13 10:10:49

I dont know what brand mine are cos ive had them for about 12/13 years my nan got them from qvc. she has the same set (different colour) and both mine and hers are in excellent condition. how ever my mum got a set about 2 years ago and hers aint so good but the reason for that is bacause she puts tgem in the dish washer. teflon also doesbt like the dishwasher

MrsGeologist Mon 21-Jan-13 10:10:51

MoreBeta, I bought DH a copper butter pan for Christmas. We spent a good portion of the morning laughing at how tiny it is. It doesn't even fit on the hob properly, unless the hob in question is the one from DS's toy kitchen.

Jux Mon 21-Jan-13 10:13:28

Circulon pans. I got some just over a year ago and they're as good as new still. Nothing sticks to them, they're not too heavy. They don't go in the dishwasher, and - depending which handles you get - they won't go in the oven. Having said that if you get the ones with metal handles then they will (and mine will but only up to 180C).

Here they are

LifeofPo Mon 21-Jan-13 10:14:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jux Mon 21-Jan-13 10:15:05

Oh yes, the other advantage of Circulon is that they use them on Master Chef, so if you watch it, you can drive your family mad by shrieking "those are my pans!!!" every time you see them. Drives dd bonkers! grin

TheSecondComing Mon 21-Jan-13 10:17:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeepRedBetty Mon 21-Jan-13 10:22:36

Mine are ten years old and still going strong. Plain, heavy stainless steel. Dishwasher safe. For the oven I've got one small and two large Le Creusets. I have a Prestige non-stick frying pan which I'm extremely precious about, and a really ancient Woolies one which DP is allowed to use.

TomDudgeon Mon 21-Jan-13 11:22:33

Stainless steel saucepans plus some cast iron pans for moving between job and oven

weegiemum Mon 21-Jan-13 11:26:40

I have a 5 pan set of Le Creuset we got as a wedding present 18 years ago, plus a big LeC frying pan I can no longer lift (hand disability), a small cast iron frying pan and a stove top steamer that was also a wedding present.

I love my LeC pots, I can't imagine using anything else!

Oh and we have a wok that was £3.50 in the Chinese Supermarket about the time we got married, it gets used at least once a week.

Wildwaterfalls Mon 21-Jan-13 21:09:11

Ooh good tips, thanks all. Was wondering maybe Le Creuset, I have some of the little stone pans for individual oven dishes and like them, but the big pans can be soo heavy.

Will also check out those catering websites.

PigletJohn Tue 22-Jan-13 01:04:01

stainless frying pans are prone to stick, and there is nothing you can do about it. So the choice is between an iron one (don't wash it much, and never put it in the dishwasher) and a series of non-stick, where you buy a new one as the previous one wears out.

DP refuses to use the Le Creuset as it is too heavy for her.

Fat-bottomed, brushed stainless is great for all pans that you won't fry in.

PigletJohn Tue 22-Jan-13 01:07:54

Mrs Geologist

you might like to try an iron simmering plate, it goes on the pan rests over the burner (I use gas) and aborbs the heat. You stand your pan on the iron disc, no matter what size. Also handy for gentle cooking of scrambled eggs, sauces, porage.

MUMoo7 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:19:17

We have had two sets of pans from the Professional Cookware Company in 8 years, black with non-stick coating and glass lids. Coating came off within a few years of everyday use on both sets, outside got scratched when I stored them stacked up and the glass lids got chipped, since they did not have metal egdes round them and seem to chip easily. They looked awful quite soon. We returned the first set for an exchange, since they came with a 10-year guarantee, but with the second set we did not bother anymore and have gradually bought a lot of Le Creuzet and Tefal. Very happy with both and the coating in the Tefal frying pans does not come off at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now