The laundry mountain - in search of the perfect laundry basket

(33 Posts)
Waferthinmint Sun 20-Jan-13 20:09:42

The washing mountain is a nightmare, it all gets shoved into the cavernous washing basket and then it is down to me to root around sorting the whites from darks and coloureds. It's gross and I hate it. It takes me ages and gets me in a grump

There must be a better way to manage this !?

How do you do it?

Does a sectioned laundry basket exist?

marriedinwhite Mon 21-Jan-13 11:32:56

One laundry basket outside the main family bathroom. Sort it every morning and it sort of sits in layers with the day's dirties on the top. Wash every single day and more at weekends 9/10 loads a week here. Bring a load down every morning, feed cats. Empty tumbler fold what doesn't need ironing ready to go back upstairs, put wet washed stuff in tumbler and load and start washing machine. All just part of the routine and don't think about it.

Then I make a cup tea, empty dishwasher while kettle boils and make dd's packed lunch. Make everyone else a hot drink and sort out breakfast. Leave at 7.30 to take dd to school bus stop (too far to walk) - come back and pick up ds and drive him to school which is on the way to work for me.

I just don't spend much time thinking about it all.

Vertically Mon 21-Jan-13 11:35:19

I have 3 tall slim baskets from tesco, one each for darks/lights/colours, for dirty washing, once ones full it goes off for washing, and about 20 of the flexi-tubs from asda, large one for me and DP, a small one for each of the 3dc, a large one for towels/bedding, and 2 small ones for school uniform.

Each tub is named/labelled and each person (except the 2yr old) is responsible for their own tub. The Dc/Dp is also responsible for bringing their own dirty clothes/towels down and putting it in the right tub, else it doesnt get washed.

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 21-Jan-13 11:39:54

Don't be jealous of the futility. It's just another room where DH thinks its fine to leave all his crap stuff.
I have to sweep the rubbish he leave off, then wipe the surfaces down to clear his boot polish before I can think about putting anything light coloured near it.
I'd rather it were just a large cupboard that he left alone, rather than having to fit with him for space in it smile

Waferthinmint Mon 21-Jan-13 15:55:39

Vertically,
Where do your 20 tubs live?

Waferthinmint Mon 21-Jan-13 15:56:21

I have a utility room but it is a tip. I am inspired by the tubs for each persons washing.

But if I had a utility room, I could have tubs <sobs some more>

We only have one bathroom in the house too hmm

Abigail9580 Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:43

All you people are so organised! I love it!! Going to steal the idea of having separate baskets for everyone's clean laundry, it's brilliant! And also ones to sort them (light/dark) as you go, but not sure my DH would get it!!

treesntrees Wed 23-Jan-13 18:37:22

BHS have some nice striped slim ones in various colours with lids. I've had to restrain myself from buying one as there is nowt wrong with my plakky one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now