Another toilet thread

(8 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 21-Jan-13 11:25:38
letseatgrandma Mon 21-Jan-13 11:21:52

Won't the pumice damage the toilet?

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 18-Jan-13 17:50:09

You can go to a janitorial supply place and ask for toilet descaler. They make stuff with pH below 1, which is crazy acidic. WARNING: keep it well away from children and any other cleaning products. Some forms of acid, when mixed with bleach, will make a deadly gas. So, rinse the toilet very well before and after using the descaler. (I forget which acid is the problem. Hydrochloric, I think. It's super powerful and not to be played with.)

Another tip is to use a pumice. Like the kind for feet. A small piece of pumice will scrub away lime scale quite readily and they're very commonly used by janitors in the US.

I live in a soft water area, so I've never had to use one, but I know cleaners who swear by them.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:13:44

I leave a couple of bottles of smart price vinegar down loos then co-op ordinary loo cleaner.

All of the co-ops own brand household items are buav approved as cruelty free.

Jiddle Fri 18-Jan-13 13:52:16

Oooh I am going to try this black bottle of Harpic. I've been using Toilet Duck anti limescale.

Difficult for me to access cistern because it's in a nice-looking but annoying-when-anything-breaks concealed arrangement.

Does vinegar on a brillo pad work then? I would have thought it would just run down the side into the water. Might give that a go <dons two pairs of Marigolds>.

DeepRedBetty Fri 18-Jan-13 13:33:59

I keep it under control (just) with the thickest, stickiest anti limescale goo I can get (the Harpic black does seem to be good), left overnight and scrubbed like a loon in the morning.

The original build-up was a rubber gloves, vinegar and brillo pad job. Yeuch. Took a day of repeated scrubs.

PigletJohn Fri 18-Jan-13 13:30:37

Parazone bleach blocks (not blue or yellow or citrus) in the cistern.

Take a photo in the cistern when you first put one in, then another after a month or so. Then come back and tell us.

Give it a go with the Harpic in the black bottle first, scubbing it in with the loo brush.

Jiddle Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:17

But in a bold departure from the "toilet brush" theme, today's question is: how do you get limescale-y marks off the toilet bowl (just under the rim)? I have scrubbed and scrubbed with limescale remover and it just isn't shifting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now