Another toilet thread

(8 Posts)
Jiddle Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:17

But in a bold departure from the "toilet brush" theme, today's question is: how do you get limescale-y marks off the toilet bowl (just under the rim)? I have scrubbed and scrubbed with limescale remover and it just isn't shifting.

PigletJohn Fri 18-Jan-13 13:30:37

Parazone bleach blocks (not blue or yellow or citrus) in the cistern.

Take a photo in the cistern when you first put one in, then another after a month or so. Then come back and tell us.

Give it a go with the Harpic in the black bottle first, scubbing it in with the loo brush.

DeepRedBetty Fri 18-Jan-13 13:33:59

I keep it under control (just) with the thickest, stickiest anti limescale goo I can get (the Harpic black does seem to be good), left overnight and scrubbed like a loon in the morning.

The original build-up was a rubber gloves, vinegar and brillo pad job. Yeuch. Took a day of repeated scrubs.

Jiddle Fri 18-Jan-13 13:52:16

Oooh I am going to try this black bottle of Harpic. I've been using Toilet Duck anti limescale.

Difficult for me to access cistern because it's in a nice-looking but annoying-when-anything-breaks concealed arrangement.

Does vinegar on a brillo pad work then? I would have thought it would just run down the side into the water. Might give that a go <dons two pairs of Marigolds>.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:13:44

I leave a couple of bottles of smart price vinegar down loos then co-op ordinary loo cleaner.

All of the co-ops own brand household items are buav approved as cruelty free.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 18-Jan-13 17:50:09

You can go to a janitorial supply place and ask for toilet descaler. They make stuff with pH below 1, which is crazy acidic. WARNING: keep it well away from children and any other cleaning products. Some forms of acid, when mixed with bleach, will make a deadly gas. So, rinse the toilet very well before and after using the descaler. (I forget which acid is the problem. Hydrochloric, I think. It's super powerful and not to be played with.)

Another tip is to use a pumice. Like the kind for feet. A small piece of pumice will scrub away lime scale quite readily and they're very commonly used by janitors in the US.

I live in a soft water area, so I've never had to use one, but I know cleaners who swear by them.

letseatgrandma Mon 21-Jan-13 11:21:52

Won't the pumice damage the toilet?

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 21-Jan-13 11:25:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now