How do I get dusty, greasy kitchen wallpaper clean?

(15 Posts)
ItsIcyOutsideIThinkINeedThorin Fri 18-Jan-13 11:17:23

Some of the kitchen has wallpaper and some doesn't but it's all painted with the same scrubbable paint. 'Cos it's a kitchen it''s a bit greasy and the dust is stuck to the grease so can't just vacuum the walls. What's the best way to clean it all? TIA.

notMarlene Fri 18-Jan-13 11:22:09

Sugar soap and elbow grease should do it

ItsIcyOutsideIThinkINeedThorin Fri 18-Jan-13 11:47:51

Would the sugar soap be ok on the wallpaper?

PigletJohn Fri 18-Jan-13 13:37:37

Is it paper or is it vinyl?

Dont scrub across the seams or it will lift.

long term, an extractor hood and strip it off. Vinyl in a kitchen is good because when you strip it there is no greasy dirt on the walls.

Bonsoir Fri 18-Jan-13 17:26:44

Wash it with an e-cloth wrung out in a bucket of hot water, with a little Cillit Bang bleach cleaner in it.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 18-Jan-13 17:43:30

I think sugar soap is way overrated. Whenever I've used it, I've wondered why I bothered.

Stardrops is OK. You should use a microfibre cloth, rinsed frequently. Cillit Bang made for greasy kitchens is great stuff.

notMarlene Fri 18-Jan-13 17:52:48

I love bang but IME it's excellent at stripping paint...

Bonsoir Fri 18-Jan-13 17:54:17

If you are feeling lazy in a hurry, just spray Cillit Bang (the one with a green nozzle) directly at the walls and wipe with an e-cloth wrung out in hot water.

My kitchen walls are white. The effect of Cillit Bang sprayed directly is scary astonishing.

ItsIcyOutsideIThinkINeedThorin Fri 18-Jan-13 18:15:23

It's paper, not vinyl. I do have an extractor hood but I never use it - perhaps I should start smile Is the Cillit Bang thing ok on wallpaper then?

Bonsoir Fri 18-Jan-13 18:18:53

Try the Cillit Bang in a corner if you aren't sure. It works fine on my (painted) walls.

PigletJohn Fri 18-Jan-13 21:14:42

I do have an extractor hood but I never use it

angry angry angry

ItsIcyOutsideIThinkINeedThorin Sat 19-Jan-13 11:14:20

Why does that make you angry? How bizarre!

Katisha Sat 19-Jan-13 11:27:14

Strong solution of soda crystals.

Clargo55 Sat 19-Jan-13 12:34:29

You really need to use the extractor when cooking. The moisture can lead to to damp in your home from the condensation. It will also help with the grease.
I have used sugar soap wipes before. I find them much easier to use than the liquid.

PigletJohn Sat 19-Jan-13 17:36:26

try to get into the habit of always using the extractor. After a month take the filter out to wash or replace it. You will be surprised and revolted to see how much dirty grease it has captured.

Without the extractor all that would be stuck to your walls (and hair)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now