How do you clean a toilet brush?

(18 Posts)
HilaryClinton Fri 18-Jan-13 09:11:37

Sounds like a joke I know.
Saw on a recent aibu that putting it in the dishwasher is unacceptable so what to do?

Thanks

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 18-Jan-13 09:13:44

I put bleach down the loo, sit brush in it, & later flush ( whilst holding on to the end )

DeepRedBetty Fri 18-Jan-13 09:16:30

Hard water round here so it gets used to scrub anti limescale cleaner most days and I hold it in the flush to rinse it.

When it looks nasty I replace it, market stall does them around a pound a pop.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 18-Jan-13 09:24:07

Yes, clean it with in-loo soak/flushes.

Now here's a more difficult one - how do you clean the loo brush if you're using a chemical toilet eg on a canal boat.

ThingummyBob Fri 18-Jan-13 09:27:10

Soak in toilet bowl with a good amount of bleach here. Replace fairly often, maybe twice a year. Oh yes and but ones where the holder has a cover and try not to live with a nine year old boy if possible grin

ThingummyBob Fri 18-Jan-13 09:27:54

Buy, not but!

discorabbit Fri 18-Jan-13 09:37:24

i don't think i do really, just replace if it gets really mank

AdoraBell Fri 18-Jan-13 16:22:59

Bleach or disinfectant in the pot, hold it in the flow as loo flushes but with the lid down, replace it if it has erm, something, on it.

I left that thread before the dishwasher thing came up, I feel quite queasy now.

Personally I replace them very frequently, shhh! don't tell my OH, and don't use bleach at all.

WowOoo Fri 18-Jan-13 16:58:45

I spray it with stuff before I put it back in it's holder.
They are minging things, but I rather them to wipes.

dikkertjedap Fri 18-Jan-13 17:07:50

I think that this is the answer. Much more hygienic.

Putting a toilet brush in a dishwasher - honestly, I cannot believe that anyone would seriously consider this ...

dikkertjedap Fri 18-Jan-13 17:08:44

You don't have to buy them on the internet btw, Tesco and other big supermarkets sell them as well (possibly different brand).

ProphetOfDoom Fri 18-Jan-13 17:13:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starfishmummy Fri 18-Jan-13 17:14:36

Whenever I go to ikea I get several of their 99p loo brushes with black bristles. I give it adaily clean with the loo cleaner but if dh someone uses it in between times and doesn't rinse properly it doesn't look so manky!!
And I chuck them out often!

fussychica Fri 18-Jan-13 17:16:21

What Iseesmall said plus I buy a new one in Asda for 55p - yes really - every couple of months.
My friend wouldn't give one house room, cleaning the loo by hand (gloved of coursegrin) - life is just toooooo short.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 18-Jan-13 17:45:07

If it's caked with loo roll, then I toss it and buy a new one. I get the really cheap ones from Asda (about 50p) and put them in the holder I have.

Fairylea Fri 18-Jan-13 17:46:40

I just replace it regularly. Tesco value ones are so cheap !

thekidsrule Fri 18-Jan-13 20:56:13

the toilet duck disposable ones here

they are fantastic

work out more expensive but worth it

cringe when i see loo brushes now

LetsKateWin Fri 18-Jan-13 21:03:10

Please don't clean it in the kitchen sink as a flatmate of mine once did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now