Decluttering - make up!

(10 Posts)
Jemster Wed 16-Jan-13 19:17:18

Hi
I am gradually decluttering my home and am doing quite well so far, several bags gone to charity shop today.
One area I need to tackle is my make up drawer. I have so much that I never ever wear. I don't wear a great deal but have just bought so much over the years but alot of it just doesn't look right on me.
The thing is I can't bear to chuck it out as I think of all the money I've spent on it. Also I think well maybe I should try using a bit more of it but I know it's just not me.
Has anyone else decluttered their make up and how did you do it? The thought of just binning it all makes me want to cry!

brighthair Wed 16-Jan-13 19:34:10

I converted a walk in cupboard into a make up room gringrin blushblush
<exits thread>

Can you start by going through and binning nearly empty stuff, stuff that smells off, anything that you will obviously never wear?

Jemster Wed 16-Jan-13 19:39:52

Yes brighthair that would be a good start thank you. Thing is I've got loads of single eyeshadows that I prob used a couple of times and then decided I didn't like, so they are practically new and unused. I don't even wear eyeshadow normally! It all just sits in the drawer taking up space but I haven't got the guts to get rid!

UnrequitedSkink Wed 16-Jan-13 19:40:35

Ebay?

UnrequitedSkink Wed 16-Jan-13 19:41:53

I sympathise though, I've got a cupboard chock-full of toiletries etc that I can't face throwing away - I hate the thought of the waste.

fraktion Wed 16-Jan-13 19:44:16

Do you know any teens who might like them? I've offloaded onto DH's boss's daughter who babysits occasionally.

PoshPenny Wed 16-Jan-13 19:46:27

I started by ditching the stuff that smelt "off", and all the sample type bits. Dried up mascaras. If its not in perfect working order, it's easy to justify chucking it out. Then that leaves you with the rest of it, what about starting with the awful colours stuff that just doesn't look right on you?
Can you find some little ish girls to take your unwanted make up off you and play with it? Is there anyone where you work that has some that might do? That's how I got rid of most of my oldest stuff, but they were my own daughters!

Jemster Wed 16-Jan-13 19:47:08

Yes I thought about ebay but a lot of it is not the expensive brands, more medium range from Boots so I doubt it would sell.

Wandawingsthe2nd Wed 16-Jan-13 22:25:53

Jemstar, I'm after make up. Care to list what you have with a price?

crunchingicicles Wed 16-Jan-13 22:36:58

I'd also google 'makeup expiration' - anything open for beyond the usual guidelines can be chucked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now