Is a steam generator iron worth the extra £££ ;?

(11 Posts)
Murtette Tue 15-Jan-13 22:48:52

The thread title says it all really. We need a new iron. Do I pay the extra for a steam generator iron? Ironing consists of duvet covers, the occasional table cloth, work shirts and everyday clothes (jeans, T-shirts) etc.
Any advice?

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 08:56:10

Yes. Ironing time drops by a third with a steam generator. It's so quick that I can get through 2 washing machine loads in 45 mins. I can recommend Philips (much better than other makes IMO) and go or at least 4bar.

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 08:56:31

It's brill on work shirts too.

Primrose123 Wed 16-Jan-13 09:02:06

Definitely. I've got a tefal. It's five years old, and still going strong. I would never go back to a normal iron. You need to be a bit careful with delicate items though. I usually iron anything delicate without pressing the steam button, and that's fine.

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 16-Jan-13 09:38:02

What does it do special? Why are they better?

Fizzylemonade Wed 16-Jan-13 11:22:52

I have a steam generator, it basically lets you iron better in a shorter amount of time, ie it gets creases out first time and you don't have to go over the clothing again etc. The amount of steam it produces is huge.

I didn't believe the hype until I got one. I lent it to my mate and she has now got one.

Have a look at this John Lewis video on them, mine is sort of the one featured although mine is probably the next model up.

Mine has a carry handle that acts as a shield to stop anyone touching the hot iron, removable water tank and a limescale collector so the iron tells me when to do it. I just unscrew it, empty it out, give it a rinse and put it back in. I probably do it every 2 months.

steam generator iron video

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 12:36:46

It's fast because you only need to go over it once and it's ironed.., none of this wiggling the iron back and forth over an area, spraying with a bit of water etc... One whoosh over and the area is flat.

MrsDexter Wed 16-Jan-13 20:15:04

Fizzy which one do you have? It sounds great!!

NewYearNewThinking Wed 16-Jan-13 22:31:38

Yes. Get one.

Mine has stopped working sad - it was great - anyone had this and got theirs fixed? Such a PITA to get somewhere for repair/clean, even if i knew where to take/send it. Instructions say not to use vinegar but maybe I should just try it?

Murtette Thu 17-Jan-13 15:00:33

I think you have all converted me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now