Has anyone just bought a new hotpoint washing machine?

(14 Posts)
napkin Tue 15-Jan-13 16:38:19

I have a new hotpoint washing machine and it doesn't rinse that well, just wondering if anyone else has bought one and having the same problems?

PigletJohn Tue 15-Jan-13 17:47:27

do you have soft water?

are you using powder on a cool wash?

digerd Tue 15-Jan-13 18:14:38

I have hard water - such a differ4nce from the very soft water we had abroad- and the powder just did not disolve in cool water. So always use liquid.
I have a Hoover which is 15 years old now, but in the 1st 5 years of an extended quarantee, I had repairs every 2 years and everything was replaced.
Hotpoint is supposed to be better, said the technician .

treaclesoda Tue 15-Jan-13 20:01:20

I bought one a few months ago. Am very pleased with it except for one thing. In cold weather (machine is in the garage) the powder in the drawer doesn't dissolve.

Rinse is ok though. I read loads of Which reviews before buying and remember being surprised that they said some machines in a particular manufacturers range rinsed well, whilst others didn't, even though they were the same brand.

PigletJohn Tue 15-Jan-13 20:10:41

I like to put the powder into the drum through the door, it keeps the drawer clean as well

TheJanuaryProject Tue 15-Jan-13 22:41:52

I use powder in my hotpoint, it's not brand new, but not old, but I use less than 50% of the recommended powder in my machine. On the odd occasion there have been powder marks on the clothes but only when I've been a bit heavy handed with the powder. There's been no issue with the cleanliness of our clothes since reducing the powder, and I usually always wash on 30. Towels and bedding get washed hotter and I add some soda crystals to the wash.

PigletJohn Tue 15-Jan-13 22:48:00

I'm sure the powder manufacturers will say it dissolves in cold, but I find it difficult to believe that hot water won't dissolve it better.

I reckon a liquid is safer for a low-temperature wash, but you still need to do a hot white cotton wash from time to time or the machine will get sludgy and you'll need more service washes. I agree washing soda does seem to help on hot white washes.

napkin Tue 15-Jan-13 23:49:23

Thanks all. Could i ask what model you have treaclesoda? I do live in a hard water area and have tried liquid but it still don't seem to rinse away that well. I do prefer to use powder. Could i ask what powder/liquid you all use and what cycles you find best to use on your hotpoint machine?

napkin Thu 17-Jan-13 13:18:38

bump

BigGalah Fri 18-Jan-13 13:27:41

Sorry but: our Hotpoint is rubbish and I regret buying the damn thing. sad (I wanted a Miele but couldn't justify the cost, fool that I am)

Have to use less than half the maximum amount of washing per load otherwise it doesn't even wet everything, have to do a maintenance wash with bleach in the drum every week or it stinks and makes all the 'clean' washing smell foul. Have to take the washing out immediately or it stinks if left for 1/2 an hour or more. Complete waste of time and money. Was a Which Best Buy as well.

Will be buying a Miele this year (even if it bankrupts us!)

napkin Fri 18-Jan-13 21:59:16

I find all machines hardly wet the clothes anymore. I hate it too. What model do you have BigGalah ?

treaclesoda Sat 19-Jan-13 08:38:03

Sorry for taking so long to reply!

Its WMPG742P

treaclesoda Sat 19-Jan-13 08:42:09

The only cycle that I've found to be not that good is the half hour quick wash.

I use the fast 60 degree wash a lot, for towels and bedding. I wash most other stuff at 40 because although I know we're always being told to wash at 30 I find that if you do that you start to get the stale smell in your machine.

napkin Sat 19-Jan-13 13:14:12

I find the stale smell to happen when using liquids but doesn't happen when using powder. What 40 setting do you find best to use treaclesoda? There is so many settings on the new hotpoints!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now