stinky fridge help

(9 Posts)
PigletJohn Fri 11-Jan-13 20:46:09

when you say dettol, do you mean the disinfectant, or a cleaning spray with detergent? I don't think dettol disinfectant would be good for cleaning away milk or fat spills.

crunchingicicles Fri 11-Jan-13 19:47:11

Once you've checked all foods I'm fridge, cleaned thoroughly (including checking & cleaning drainage hole), stick an open pot of bicarbonate of soda in fridge as it will absorb any lingering bad smells. You can then pleasantly fragrance fridge naturally by putting in half a lemon freshly cut open or a couple of cotton wool balls with drops if vanilla extract on.

MollyNollyNoo Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:45

If something spills down the drainage hole the bottom of the fridge and into the drip tray and goes moldy it will stink. If you pull the fridge out and look behind it for the drip tray you may find the source of the smell (someone split grated parmazan cheese in my fridge and it was washed off down the drainage hole, you can imagine the smell blush).

MikeLitoris Fri 11-Jan-13 15:33:40

Replace the fridge

MikeLitoris Fri 11-Jan-13 15:33:27

Bi carb will get rid of bad smells.

But be warned we had this recently and after a few weeks of unidentified bad smell the fridge broke down.

Cant remember exactly what was wrong but it worked out more sensible to replave the fridge.

Colliewollydoodle Fri 11-Jan-13 15:29:48

Put a tub of open bi-carb in the fridge, this will take the smell away.

PolterGoose Thu 10-Jan-13 20:20:54

If it is all clean and the drain is ok try setting the temperature a bit lower, fridges that are too warm will smell.

have you cleaned out the drainage hole at the back of the inside of the fridge? There is also some sort of tray thing on the back of the machine that you could have a look at too in case there are mouldy things in it

buttercrumble Thu 10-Jan-13 19:14:52

Have cleaned the fridge out today with dettol and cleaning stuff after noticing a smell the other day.Have checked the food and thrown out a couple of yogurts etc. But still cant get rid of the smell, please can anybody recomend any help......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now