Advice for cleaning shower glass please

(19 Posts)
julz09 Thu 10-Jan-13 11:03:40

Hi folks, I'm needing some advice on cleaning the glass doors on the my showers. I currently use diluted white vinager in a spray bottle but even that is a struggle. I live I am a hard water area, saw a recommendation in another thread for a product but can't find it now sad.

maudpringle Thu 10-Jan-13 13:44:30

I always use mr muscle shower cleaner but to be fair,our water is very soft. I have heard good things about a cleaner in lakeland.

NewYearNewNagoo Thu 10-Jan-13 13:55:22

I did mine today with white vinegar and microfibre cloths. One wet and one dry. The cloths work better than anything.

iMe Thu 10-Jan-13 17:16:35

Viakal to get it really clean, miracle product. Then wipe down with squeegee after every use to maintain.

YDdraigGoch Thu 10-Jan-13 17:20:54

I have discovered that using a wire kitchen cleaner thingy (that you use for washing burnt bits off pans) with a cleanung product for limescake gets rid of the scale easily and doesn't scratch the doors or tiles.

HappyTurquoise Thu 10-Jan-13 17:24:53

Whatever product you use (good to rub in with a sponge) as NewNagoo said, best to dry off with a microfibre cloth as a) it will look lovely and b) if you leave traces of some products on trim and chrome fittings, etc, it can damage the surface.

When we lived in a hard water area, I replaced our shower door (simple one on side of bath, no trim or frame surround) and got a squeegee and just used that after every shower (no product) which worked fine.

Floralnomad Thu 10-Jan-13 17:26:49

Mr muscle is really good ,particularly if its used as directed . A karcher window vac is also quite useful

Lafaminute Thu 10-Jan-13 17:39:50

I use Cif and a sponge then rinse and finish off with a microfibre cloth

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Thu 10-Jan-13 17:46:33

I clean it then use window cleaner spray (with vinegar, so basically what you do!) and microfibre cloth. Do the same for streak free tiles

fussychica Fri 11-Jan-13 15:36:31

Squeegee and Eco cloth

julz09 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:46:24

Wow thanks for all the handy tips! Plan to try and get some time to get them cleaned tomorrow so will dig out the e cloths from the back of the cupboard. Will try and report back how I get on smile. Thanks again.

thenightsky Sat 12-Jan-13 21:50:42

I live in hardest water area going and only thing that touches it is cilit bang lime and grime.

BoffinMum Sat 12-Jan-13 21:59:44

Method Bath and Tile cleaner gives good results in hard water areas, I find.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 13-Jan-13 12:52:21

Diluted vinegar may not be sufficiently acidic, so something like Viakal would be helpful.

I use a professional product from janitorial supply warehouse that has a pH of 1.3 and is a thick gel. I distribute it with a dish washing brush, and leave it to work while I clean the rest of the bathroom. Then when I go back and rinse, it's much better. I may use a non-scratch scourer to scrub it in before rinsing.

Magic Erasers can be quite useful. Particularly on maintenance cleaning, after I've done the above to get it up to spec.

If there are serious deposits towards the bottom, I often use a retractable razor blade sold at DIY and janitorial supplies. Window cleaners use them and I find it to be my very best tool for gently removing all manner of hardened things from a lot of different surfaces around the house. But, one must use it quite carefully, holding at a angle and going slowly, to avoid scratching surfaces.

Clure Sun 13-Jan-13 19:17:42

Hard water here. I only use a damp E-cloth (microfibre) then dry it with a dry microfibre cloth. Thats it, no product. Does the job. This also works on my stainless steel appliances in the kitchen.

julz09 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:00:41

Afternoon ladies. I just wanted to post an update for you. I dug out an old e cloth lurking at the back of one of my cupboards and gave it a go on one of the showers. Cloth in one hand vinegar spray in the other I have had to come for a sit down as I am in total shock at the results! I may even go check it is tea I have been drinking and not gin shock. The glass is spotless grin Thank you so much everyone that has suggested the cloths I'm away to go order a 20 pack of them as I have 3 showers to clean and I could do with using more than 1 on each shower.

reastie Mon 14-Jan-13 18:25:06

This may be too late, but we have to squeegy after every shower to prevent limescale build up then on a weekly basis I first clean the glass with general bathroom cleaner (mr muscle or flash type spray) then when that's wiped off I spray limescale cleaner and then wipe that around and then rinse and then finally I squeegy it, dry excess with an ecloth and then spray windowlene on it and wipe it to give it a really good shine. It has taken me some time to get this order and technique just right for a super shiny shower. I do the same with the bathroom sink and then shout at DH when he dares to wash his hands in the shiny spotless clean sink blush . I sometimes think I have ishoos!

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 14-Jan-13 18:35:55

Flash bathroom spray is really good stuff. Reastie.

Julz, I'm glad the ecloth and vinegar were enough for you!

NewYearNewNagoo Mon 14-Jan-13 19:43:09

<pleased about ecloth like I invented the fecker>

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now