How do I make a proper vent hole in wall for tumble dryer?

(6 Posts)
Jemster Thu 10-Jan-13 05:32:44

Hi there
A few months ago we bought a tumble dryer and put it in our porch as that was the only space we had. We had to hang the vent hose out of the window which looked awful.
Eventually we got a local handyman to make a hole in the wall for the hose but to be honest he hasn't done a very good job and it looks awful. I don't think it's even working properly as the room gets pretty steamed up.
I want to get it done properly but just don't know who to ask. Would this be a job for a builder? I can't really see a builder being interested in such a small job.
Can anyone help please?

PolterGoose Thu 10-Jan-13 07:36:15

If the hole is already drilled, then maybe something like this would be easy for you to fit yourself. If the hole is inadequate you might need a builder/handy person/DIYer friend to either make good or re-drill.

freerangelady Thu 10-Jan-13 07:56:36

We did this at the wk end as we moved our tumble drier to the garage. It took dh half an hr with a chisel to chisel a hole and then a quick trip to b and q to buy a vent, sealant round the edge to hold it and and job done.

PigletJohn Thu 10-Jan-13 09:42:43

The better method is to get a Core Drill from a tool hire shop, it cuts a neat round hole through the wall that the duct fits through.

It is important to line the hole with plastic duct to prevent steam making the cavity and bricks wet. The duct is mortared into the hole at each end to prevent draughts or steam penetration.

Jemster Thu 10-Jan-13 14:50:49

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I think it def needs redoing but my dh will not be up for it as he is not great on the diy front and I would rather get someone to do it properly!
Shall I just have a look in yellow pages do you reckon?

PigletJohn Thu 10-Jan-13 15:15:49

much better to ask friends and neighbours for a local recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now