What chores to give 7 & 4 year old

(19 Posts)

My DD (5 yrs) lays the table, takes plate to sink, tidies toys away, puts clothes away and helps with the hoovering. When her friends come round to play I expect them to help - I like pps think 5 is definitely old enough to pitch in on a regular basis, and it's also good for them to feel like responsible members of the team IMHO.

BackforGood Fri 11-Jan-13 09:14:16

The things you said, plus

empty the dishwasher
set the table
clear table after a meal (7 yr old can load dishwasher)
strip the beds
Get stuff out the tumble drier

I think it's important - as you are with the windows - to let them know you appreciated them doing a job for you, even when it's not done to the standard you would do it yourself... don't let them see you 're-doing' it straight afterwards.

BartletForTeamGB Fri 11-Jan-13 08:55:41

My DS does the same chores as angel's 6yo, except he is 2.5! He thinks doing little jobs for me & chores with me are great fun - long may this continue!

UC Thu 10-Jan-13 17:45:55

Rosemary, you've made me realise I should revise my list:

get up, make own beds, get dressed for school, get own breakfast, clear away own breakfast (scrape food into brown bin, load dishwasher or leave on side if it's full of clean stuff), wipe table, get bags ready for school - put lunchboxes in and get shoes out ready.

Dirty clothes in clothes bin or they don't get washed. Put clean clothes away.

I took most of that for granted!

8 year old can iron too, I sometimes pay him 5p an item.

Today he helped me cook tea - stirred pots, got noodles ready, put water in pan, sorted turning on hob, added noodles to pot when boiling.

Theory is that when they leave home, they'll be able to look after themselves!

Chopstheduck Wed 09-Jan-13 09:25:16

I think it def depends on how many children you have. I'm sure I used to do more for my older two.

Allinthefold Tue 08-Jan-13 22:17:04

I have clearly been letting them off Scott free grin

The worm had turned!

RosemaryandThyme Tue 08-Jan-13 18:32:15

Gosh you lot do loads for your children, am feeling a bit bad, all of mine (including 3 year old) do the following :

Wash, dress for school, clean teeth, put pj's under pillow and shake out beds before coming down for breakfast.
7 year old then does toast for everyone, five year old gets bowls, fills with cereal, gets milk out of the fridge pours it and hands round with spoons.
3 year old gets out yoghurts and hands round with spoons.

they eat, scrap bowls ands plates into bin, yog pots in bin (yes even 3 year old, many a spoon lost to the bin !), and load into dishwasher.

Basically they do everything for themselves apart from anything that involves the cooker or the kettle.

Clothes wise they put in laundry bin before hopping in the bath, having put pj's on rad to warm while they bath, I help the youngest dry off but expect them all the put warm pj's on, brush hair and teeth, pick damp towles up and make sure bathroom is tidy before they leave etc.

I think maybe those who have lots of children just have to do less for them.

UC Tue 08-Jan-13 18:25:02

6 and 8 year old here:

get own cereal for breakfast/butter and spread on own toast

clear table after meals (we all clear our own bits)

put cleared stuff in dishwasher, or next to the sink if the dishwasher's full of clean stuff

make own beds

can both lay the table when asked (with bit of moaning!)

put own clean clothes away

Onlyconnect Tue 08-Jan-13 18:23:00

My 7 year old DD puts milk bottles on the step ( that's a regular job), puts her own clothes away after they have been washed and empties the dishwasher.

lastSplash Tue 08-Jan-13 18:18:52

Hijack: why does nowhere sell washing up gloves in kid's size?

Angelfootprints Tue 08-Jan-13 18:01:54

My 6 year old:

Tries to make her own bed (bless her but i secretly redo)
Tidies her own toys & books
Occasionally Gets knifes and forks for dinner table
Has just started carrying own plate to kitchen after dinner
Puts own clothes and underwear away where she can reach

Chopstheduck Tue 08-Jan-13 17:57:37

I'm pretty sure at 4 mine were making their own beds (badly, but an attempt) tidying away toys, put own plates in kitchen/dishwasher, and other odd jobs.

dts are now 7 they can pretty much do most things round the house now. Put dishwasher/washing machine/ tumble drier on, put own clothes away, make a cup of tea, get own breakfast (cereal or toast), make own packed lunch (dd makes the sarnies though), hoover, dust, clean up after dinner.

start slowly. and they don't get rewards for doing jobs, we are a family, and everyone mucks in. They don't have set jobs, they jsut do what they are asked to do.

treesntrees Tue 08-Jan-13 17:45:59

My almost seven year old empties the dishwasher. He can't reach the wall cupboards but even placing clean dishes on counter is a big help. My four year old loves, loves,loves loading and unloading the washing machine. After all if an assistance dog can do it why can't a small human. Obviously I sort the colours etc. at that age it is just a game and I think that is the secret.

LibraryMum8 Tue 08-Jan-13 00:02:11

If you are not against using unscented baby wipes (environmental wise) they can wash out the bathroom sinks with them. They (the wipes) won't irritate little fingers (since they are made for babies) and they can get things quite clean in between regular cleanings!

I think I'm secretly trying to recreate various scenes from Annie grin

poachedeggs Mon 07-Jan-13 22:43:39

I expect my 5yo to put dirty clothes in the washing basket, tidy toys away and set the table. Most of these require nagging on my part. Keep your expectations low!

changeforthebetter Mon 07-Jan-13 22:41:37

Have told DD1 will pay Moshi subscription in return for regular chores but the commitment seems to have daunted her grin

changeforthebetter Mon 07-Jan-13 22:40:13

Watching with interest. I do ask my 5 and 7 yo to do things but its more as-and-when I.e. I asked DD to fetch my slippers from upstairs while I was sorting out the batteries in her kiddy camera. A sort of kid pro quo I suppose! (Sorry blush)

I have 2 DS about to be 7&4.

I'm slightly fed up of doing everything and want to get them to do a few things - just to teach them that we all have to pitch in.

The 4 year old is actually better & quite likes polishing & cleaning windows (which I then have to do again).

However, what responsibilities would you give them and what rewards?

I'm thinking
- clothes in washing basket
- toys away
- make bed (7yo)
- maybe put clean clothes away?
- clear breakfast?

What say you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now