vacuum - which one is best?

(12 Posts)
smilesandsun Mon 07-Jan-13 21:02:44

So i'm in the market for a new vacuum after our Dyson has finally worn out after 13 years. Is Dyson still the way to go?

any favourite models ?

thx

redrubyshoes Mon 07-Jan-13 22:03:17

Miele every time. I have held a brick up with the suction. Marvellous things they are.

financialwizard Mon 07-Jan-13 22:08:32

I bought a Miele Cat & Dog upright 5 months ago and I still have not changed the bag and the suction is still very good. It is also very well built. I would also say quieter than a Dyson too.

My Mum swears by Dyson but everyone I have had has been rubbish and not lasted very long. My mil recommended Miele as she has had hers 12 years and had no problems with it at all.

On mine the handle to carry it is in the middle at the back too, I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it feels less awkward and heavy to carry.

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 07-Jan-13 22:20:05

My dyson is rubbish. Never again.

PigletJohn Mon 07-Jan-13 22:48:56

Miele.

Do you want an upright or a cylinder?

smilesandsun Tue 08-Jan-13 07:14:48

PigletJohn, that is my next decision upright or cylinder. I have never had an upright so don't know the benefits. Our place has 3 sets of stairs am wondering if the upright is difficult to get up and down....

So it looks like i should be going towards the Miele then.

thx

PigletJohn Tue 08-Jan-13 11:57:19

An upright is better if you have much carpet, as the beaters get it cleaner. They are much better at getting grit, fleas, mites and moth eggs out.

Uprights usually have a hose and sucker attachments, but if you have mostly hard floors and stairs it will not be worth the trouble and a cylinder will be easier.

Many people keep a small cylinder upstairs where the carpets do not get as dirty, to save lugging the vac up and down.

TippiShagpile Tue 08-Jan-13 12:02:26

I bought the vax air 3 pet max (upright) when my dyson died on xmas eve.

The vax is amazing - the amount of stuff it picks up every time is very satisfying(!) and it's really easy to manoeuvre and very light. It was half price at argos so worth looking our for deals.

Miele.

smilesandsun Wed 09-Jan-13 06:57:48

thanks so Miele it is I think given the comments, now to decide which one! I was thinking of the animal one even though we don't have pets, but we have a lot of long hair that is always shedding... Will the animal one help with that? I had noticed our dyson was having trouble getting it off the carpets

The animal one comes with two heads, one has a rotating brush head for carpets.

financialwizard Wed 09-Jan-13 15:27:48

We don't have pets either but bought the animal on recommendation. As I said up thread, very good machine.

My mil has the cylinder version (12 yrs old) and loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now