where do i start

(104 Posts)
jesstheworstmum Mon 07-Jan-13 09:22:51

i just need to get this all out. i need to know where to start.
im a single mum and im in a mess. especially in my house
so much so that when i had to have a paramedic in my house recently they reported me to social services cos my house is a tip sad((
social services just wrote me a letter telling me to get family to help but i dont have any family local
i had a poor upbringing and i just feel like i dont know how to run a house
this morning my son was late for school cos i hadnt dried his clothes in time and i had no dishes clean etc
i know im awful
but where do i start
can anyone help ?

Hi guys, you can just call me Jam if it's easier. grin

I just wanted to say that I am by no means a naturally tidy person. Our house gets messy and I have to work to keep it tidy. It is not a show home by any stretch of the imagination. but it is clean and homely and that's how I like it.

My philosophy is that it's OK if a few toys are on the floor as long as the floor has been hoovered (which I do once a week)

I used to live in a flat and i only did the washing up when i needed to and i used to hoard all sorts of crap. One day I'd just had enough. I started slowly. Doing the washing up and cleaning the kitchen every day made a huge difference. it made me want to get the other rooms looking as nice. So i got a bin bag for rubbish and a box for the charity shop and i cleared out the spare room. it probably took a couple of weeks because there were days i would look at it and my heart would sink with the amount i had to do. But it got done, sometimes just in 5 minute bursts, sometimes in 30 minutes. But i ended up with an empty spare room which i then painted with some cheap magnolia paint to brighten it up. It made a difference to my thinking, just doing that one small room. So it can be done.

Jess, that's why I've asked you which room you want to do the most. We might be able to help you and even doing one room, or half a room, or a quarter of a room, could give you the motivation to carry on when you see the difference you could make. Failing that, I might have to drive to you with my Black Bin Bag of Doom! wink

Chin up Jess, you can do it. X

jesstheworstmum Sun 24-Mar-13 09:42:05

Thanks jam ;) I guess the lounge
The lounge is better since the social services debacle but there's a corner of doom !
One of my bedrooms I don't even go in its just black bags of crap etc as well

twinklesparkles Sun 24-Mar-13 13:18:33

Hey jess smile how's it going? Hope you don't mind me joining on your thread

Well done on ss, you clearly aren't a bad mum if they are saying your son is fine smile shows you are a good mum

I hate the spare rooms full of junk, I used to have 2 ... I think I just filled them with crap over the years and never emptied them or even went in them until the day I moved out

One of my secrets for urgent declutterings or tidying is the song technique smile the song technique is awesome, this is what you do .. Get yourself a black bag and choose a song, put the song on and for the duration of the song go MENTAL!! Just run around the room grabbing every bit of rubbish or random junk you can find, at the end of the song, go make a cuppa tea and then chuck the bag out smile

Noticed you said you have only 1 wheely bin to last a fortnight, do you have a place outside you can keep the rubbish until the rubbish men show up? This used to be my biggest problem too. Had nowhere to put the rubbish and I didn't drive or have any family/friends that could take me to the rubbish tip. Can you arrange one day where you could load everything up into your car go to the dump and then maybe go for lunch after? Or for a day out? Thatll give you something to look forward to and a way to get rid of rubbish also.

Another thing could be 30 a day challenge, basically same as the song challenge. Just pick up 30 bits of rubbish everyday and chuck out. Even if its just tiny pieces of paper. Every bit counts, so its easy and quick to get to 30 things smile

Hope you are doing ok today, chin up smile smile smile

flowers

SlatternismyMiddlename Sun 24-Mar-13 23:01:46

Good luck this week Jess. I think everyone goes through fits and starts of being more organised -I know I certainly do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now