The Fledglings' nests will be clean in 2013!

(985 Posts)
superfluouscurves Mon 31-Dec-12 21:44:39

(With many thanks to Jdub for title inspiration!!)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated (although some Fledglings find the compilation e-mails helpful)! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabulary along the way).

Huge thanks to Lauren for being our incredibly reliable and organised shining star in the East and leading us throughout the very busy month of December!!

Happy New Year Fledglings!!

All welcome!!

elliepac Tue 01-Jan-13 14:09:12

grin gringrin just, you're a genius.

gringringrin pa

Have actually managed to get dressed but dc's still in pj's and we are going to watch Annie.smile

GossipWitch Tue 01-Jan-13 14:57:42

Afternoon all, my house is mad and crazy and has no signs of improving, the kids are crazy atm too and have given me a massive headache due to the shouting wailing and laughing, at least they are happy.

We may hopefully have a swap soon so I really need to get on with the decluttering of the house and I intend to start today, the bathroom still hasn't been done after I broke it, but it is on dp's to do list along with the tidying of the gardens, I also have another driving test next week which I'm panicking about again. So all is busy in the gossip household !!!

NickNacks Tue 01-Jan-13 15:09:29

Well we've just got back from visiting family for new year. Very proudly have unpack the car straight away, DH hopped in the other car to go food shopping and washing machine in on! Fly lady rules here!!

Nice to see all the newbies and big waves to oldies, pa that sounds hilarious!

Small list

One more load of washing
Take tree down
Make up dd's bed
S and s bathroom

Hmm that'll do!

GossipWitch Tue 01-Jan-13 15:15:41

ladydiedre I suffer with cystitus (sp) alot but can never seem to keep cranberry juice in the fridge (ds1 drinks it like its going out of fashion), and cannot stand the crystals, so I buy the cranberry capsules form holland and barrat, I take four at first and then 2 every four hours after, by the end of the day the symptoms are gone smile hth.

So today is the hallway, I may have to evict dp from it somehow as he is on the computer (I have a desk in the hallway), any ideas? its not too bad in here to be honest, just bits of rubbish and washing to be cleaned up, the desk could do with a deep down clean, and toys could be taken up, but on the plus side I have managed to get the boys upstairs and tidying there room !!!!!!

SilveryMoon Tue 01-Jan-13 15:29:27

Dropping in for a list update
to do
Sleep done
Morning routine done
zone work done
Baby step
Room rescue done
Afternoon routine
Before bed routine
Ironing

Dp cooked a lovely roast. The ds's even ate a bit!
Just spent some time playing new games witht he boys whilst dp watched Mary Poppins on his own.
Now going to do the sink bleach thing and then feet up until it's time to do dinner. Sandwiches tonight so nothing too stressful

So. Ds got a lesson in following instructions. he was ordered into his roller blades and kicked out of the house until he had down five continuous there and backs to his boundary. Should have taken him less then 10 mins. 35 mins of yelling screaming, shouting and generally throwing himself all over the place because it wasn't what he wanted, he has not only hurt himself, gotten very cold, and is very tired from doing at least double no because he couldn't follow a simple instruction. And until he followed it he wasn't coming back in. Tomorrow i guess we are doing it all over again. It isn't that he couldn't do it, he is more then capable. It was the fact it wasn't what he wanted that thus he refused. A battle of wills! Needless to say i am not ds' most favourite person right now!

I did manage to get nearly half the car cleared out whilst this performance was going on. But would rather he hadn't screamed half the neighbourhood down in the process. <sigh>

Imabadmum Tue 01-Jan-13 15:53:30

I have commenced my new years housework routine, tidied the ds's bedroom, done the porch, dining room, hallway and living room.

Going to try to stick to the fly lady routine, although got a bit ahead of myself today.

New year new start. Must say I am enjoying the house being tidy shock it's a new experience!!

GossipWitch Tue 01-Jan-13 16:00:54

Hoorah!! 2 of the chilluns are out of the house playing, and ds1 even got on his scooter (he fell off it on xmas day and grazed his knee and hasn't been on it since) now to just get dp off the friggin comp so that I can clean it, have told him I need potatoes for tea but he's still in his dressing gown, have also hinted at the rubbish outside but still he sits there, bloody skyrim and geeky men!!. the boys room is now passable, and we can move in there also had to sort out the dirty washing from clean washing and had to send a full basket back up to be put away, lazy lazy boys !!!!

ta da
15mins in the hall
gather all recycling for going out
gather remenants of last nights party into kitchen/throw out party popper bits
try not to shout at ds
continue taking down the christmas decorations - 15mins done
not kill ds despite him having attack the jule log before i got up and being on a sugar induce madness spree
encourage child to eat lunch.
empty and move book case
3rd load washing on.
battle of wills with child
sand door frame
ring various family members for happy new year messages
Get car half emptied of rubbish
Get recycling out
get child into and eventually out of a hot bath
nail backs on book cases waiting for fixing
run computer virus check

to do
sand door
cut wood for fixing door and glue into position
paint door and door frame
repeat 15mins work on hall as it seems to have been rejunked
take rubbish out
tackle the kitchen
tackle the landing hotspot
confirm arrangements for tomo
put ds' clothes away
hoover landing
finish taking christmas decorations down.

SilveryMoon Tue 01-Jan-13 17:38:43

Wowzers bitchy just reading your list I'm exhausted.
Well done you!

IWipeArses Tue 01-Jan-13 18:21:45

grin Missed Bitchy's lists.

I have tackled all three kitchen hotspots, including the medicine box and I glued the wooden train that's been waiting for about 6 months. grin
Pots have been washed several times, shouldn't take long to finish them up after grown-ups supper later. As long as I do it! I can't actually do the sink shining, due to the material it's made of, but I'll get it clean.

SilveryMoon Tue 01-Jan-13 18:42:18

to do
Sleep done
Morning routine done
zone work done
Baby step done
Room rescue done
Afternoon routine done
Before bed routine done
Ironing - think I'll leave it til tomorrow

Pretty happy with my day and got most of the things done I wanted to. Not sure what's happening tomorrow, will probably take the boys to see a friend.

elliepac Tue 01-Jan-13 18:42:34

Ta da :-
Sit on bum all day watching films
Shout at dc's who dared to interrupt above process with the suggestion I should play with themhmmgrin
Watch DH cook dinner
Play on dc's new tablet.

To do :-
I think I might actually shine my sink (after the pots have drained to save expending energy on drying up)

On the theme of New Year's Resolutions:-

Flying

Actually follow a whole month's babysteps for the first time in over 3 years of fledglingness
Never look at bitchy's listsgrin

Life

Lose 2 more stone ( 4 down)
Attempt some form of exercise
Give up smoking blush

And, this is the most important one for me..... be more appreciative of what I/we have. I am a very lucky lady and need to stop worrying about stuff so much.smile I tend to stress about things such as money (when compared to many we are comfortable), the state of the house ( in need of decoration in many places but a warm and happy home) and housework ( accept it will never be my strongpoint and do what I can). Oh and stop trying to be superwoman. A full time teacher with leadership responsibilities plus young (ish) dc's means sometimes I stuff up. Accept it and don't stress about it.

Back to the sofagrin.

SilveryMoon Tue 01-Jan-13 18:48:00

All sounds good ellie
I'm a worrier too. I tend to over-think everything.
I'm trying hard not to think about anything!

loveinidleness Tue 01-Jan-13 18:49:03

hello, I'd like to join in please if that's ok? I have looked at the website and get it I think...

We've had quite a good tidy of the house for Christmas guests/party etc and I'd like to keep it up (though it's already sinking back a bit blush)

So is it as simple as someone posts what to do and we do it?

My big thing is evening time, I run out of steam. Make dinner, eat it - and then don't do anything much more about it. When I have guests I'm much better about cleaning up after. How to motivate my self to move the fat arse..?

ok will get washing out and put more washing in, that can't hurt...

LillethTheCat Tue 01-Jan-13 18:49:26

Can I join in or is it too late? Will it be too much for me to do today's and tomorrows in one day? Although just looked up thread and I had a big clean of dining room anyway today and I never even knew that was today's task grin

I assume most of you have started today so I would like to be in the same place as other people if that is possible, or is everyone at a different stage.

I half tried Flylady a couple of years ago (was never really into it too much), but have since moved and I promised myself that a new house would mean a nice new clean start, but I can see things getting on top of us again. Even though its not as bad as the previous house has been I think that it would be useful to have a good routine to get this done.

So tomorrow my list is to:
- shine my sink
- 15 mins in the hall tidying shoes away (now does the hall inc cupboards?)
- make sure I get dressed properly (which I do anyway, dont wear shoes in the house though)
- Plan (I have been keeping a task list on and off for a while anyway, but have been neglecting it for the last couple of weeks)

Does that sound ok for someone who is just starting out?

I also intend to do some homework for a course I am doing too.

Don't know what you are talking about Ellie my lists always contain some hidden gem or 6 of non-flying at it's best winkgrin

ta da
15mins in the hall
gather all recycling for going out
gather remenants of last nights party into kitchen/throw out party popper bits
try not to shout at ds
continue taking down the christmas decorations - 15mins done
not kill ds despite him having attack the jule log before i got up and being on a sugar induce madness spree
encourage child to eat lunch.
empty and move book case
3rd load washing on.
battle of wills with child
sand door frame
ring various family members for happy new year messages
Get car half emptied of rubbish
Get recycling out
get child into and eventually out of a hot bath
nail backs on book cases waiting for fixing
run computer virus check
Measure ds for a new coat. bloody weed for a child
Look up some A'level syallabuses on the internet, get scared by the maths one and hide in the chemistry one.
sort out arrangements for friday
disinfect ds' bin yuck
make mistake of opening eyes and actually seeing the state the bathroom is in.
room rescue the bathroom
Sand door
Cut and glue wood for fixing bookcases - need to get a few screws to finish job off so will have to wait until tomo before I can claim bookcases fixed.
Load and run dw
Paint door and door frame.
Be declare the best by ds - not entirely certain how i earnt this status today confused

Will be back later.

Oh and also done more washing - bath towels/cleaning rags/old towel etc
start to fold the clean washing mountain created earlier

laurenamium Tue 01-Jan-13 19:09:45

Hi all! Lots of chat as expected grin

I mostly post from my phone so ill be skimming reading and list dumping mostly. I've not done a great deal today, spent most of it either with the horse or at my mums. I've done my routines though smile

Ill be back tomorrow with a small list!

superfluouscurves Tue 01-Jan-13 19:15:27

Aagghhh ... only 40 or so messages to catch up with before my last post this morning ....!!

Sorry. Have been busy with visitors today ...hope you have all had a good day.

Ta da list is only:
shined sink (but needs doing again now I have cooked for everyone)
cleared dining room table hotspot
had a two hour nap whilst visitors were out when I should have been tidying and cleaning blush
15 mins tidying boudoir
made felt hedgehog pincushion with dd
searched for and found half finished patchwork quilt project
read a book
made healthy soup
various happy new year phone calls
resisted alcohol and coffee
rabbit husbandry x 2

tonight: sewing on sofa instead of snacking!!
& must go to bed reasonably early

To do list for tomorrow:
morning routine inc dw, wm, s&s, rabbits
exercise - starting slowly - 20 min brisk walk
sort ironing mountain in to people specific piles
French study!!
meal planning for weekend
clean kitchen bin
prep two canvases with gesso
get exercise clothing organised for week ahead + Ipod + pedometer etc etc
prep lamb cous-cous dish for supper
buy ingredients to make gingerbread house (promised dd - still haven't done!)
draw up weight loss chart/goals and objectives etc
start painting
start on essential laundry: school uniform, ballet, gym kit, art etc etc
start prepping New Year cards
15 mins tidying/decluttering in boudoir

Considering I have started/been following this thread for ahem quite a few years now, I am starting this year in really bad shape. I'm really disappointed with myself. I'm overweight and feel heavy and unfit. The house is exploding with clutter and mess (on every floor) and I just need to do better this week, this month, this year!! That's it really.

Back in a bit with personals!!

SilveryMoon Tue 01-Jan-13 19:15:29

Lilleth There is no being behind. You could do today's and tomorrow's tomorrow, but just jump in and do tomorrows, forget about today. A big thing of the Flylady system is to accept that you are not behind.
I try not to carry lists on to the next day, if it doesn't get done (like today's scheduled ironing, it just doesn't get done until the next slot. I have ironing on my list every other day. I do 20 items at a time and then stop.

LillethTheCat Tue 01-Jan-13 19:25:10

Thanks for the tip Silvery I'll try to remember that

NickNacks Tue 01-Jan-13 19:42:36

Quick list dump for tomorrow. In back at work in the morning so house needs to be a bit tidier to welcome my gorgeous 18month old mindee back. He's lush and I've really missed him over Christmas smile

Mop kitchen and dining room
Tidy and declutter hall
Sort role play chest
Good tidy of playroom
Take tree down (failed today!)
Take lights down
Take wreath down
Xmas toys and books away
Thorough Hoover downstairs
Dust sitting room
Net curtains back up
Load car of charity bits

superfluouscurves Tue 01-Jan-13 19:44:07

Good to hear lots of you have managed to catch up on a bit of sleep

A very warm welcome to Spanielface Flying with a bfing baby and a 4 yr old + pets is hard going so don't be too hard on yourself! Small bites is the way to go. Yes, all you have to do atm is start to familiarise yourself with baby-steps (having adapted them to suit yourself) until they feel routine. Then you can start on 15 min decluttering per day in current zone and maybe start on one mission per day. Get the baby-steps under your belt first though.

Trazzles yes, can see how routines will help.. guess the ideal thing (hard though it will be) is to try and keep the baby-steps going if at all poss (then you at least have the reassurance of knowing the basics are covered) Arrgh - just seen you have posted upthread that you are going to do this!!! Hope you can get some support with it though.

Hope you are feeling better today LadyDeidre

Thanks for posting flight plan Cuddledup forgot to do that in my befuddled state last night grin HOpe work goes well tomorrow

Ellie your resolutions sound typically pragmatic and achievable .. need to follow suit.

Yay - is that my Mummy I see before me???!!!! grin grin Great to have you (or your dh) back Droitwich!!

Sounds like a really good strategy Arses

Silvery enjoy your roast and definitely not 'sad loser-ish' at all! On the contrary it demonstrates dedicated Flying!!! Maybe something useful to keep dc occupied in following websites The Woodland Trust Activity Village ichild and DLTK

Whoknows enjoy the rest of your holiday

Swan ditto here (meant to start exercising today and slept instead!!) Have managed to resist alcohol and coffee today though and found my half-finished patchwork quilt (which means I will concentrate on that- hopefully - instead of food when cravings strike!)

Yo PA arf at the flashing Father Christmas startling the hoardes!! That's hilarious!! Great to "see" you and good to hear you have managed a few days away. Feeling really guilty because I haven't got back to you properly yet. Sorry - has been a bit hectic over Christmas. Will do so soon I promise!!

Huge waves to Toffee Lauren and ComradeJing

OK going to post this bit before I lose it ... more to follow ...

SilveryMoon Tue 01-Jan-13 19:47:29

Thanks for the links SC off to have a look now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now