The Fledglings' nests will be clean in 2013!

(985 Posts)
superfluouscurves Mon 31-Dec-12 21:44:39

(With many thanks to Jdub for title inspiration!!)

If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated (although some Fledglings find the compilation e-mails helpful)! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabulary along the way).

Huge thanks to Lauren for being our incredibly reliable and organised shining star in the East and leading us throughout the very busy month of December!!

Happy New Year Fledglings!!

All welcome!!

LillethTheCat Wed 09-Jan-13 10:49:21

Thanks Bitchy

Actually lilleth i think the correct information is in the FAQ bit of the site if you click that at the bottom of any of the pages (although could well be lying)

I am trying to jump through some red tape with a website and it is really pissing me off. I do not want to accept cookies, I do not want to GUESS what it is they want filling in in the stupid box with abstract title that is compulsory to fill in. And i DON'T want to fill in some pissy questionnaire that required personal details. I don't fucking trust you!!!!!!!!! I would LOVE a feed back form!!!! GOING to upset people today at the meeting I think!!!!!!!!!!!

swanthingafteranother Wed 09-Jan-13 11:09:35

toffee yes, champagne is a tonic isn't it wink I think Montignac has somewhere a list of what each wine is a cure for...can't remember the specific ailment that champagne is suited for but, anyway...

I am deep in the grime of my bedroom (having decided the playroom is beyond help atm)
have been rather pointlessly been enjoying sorting out Sylvanian furniture blush

seriously filthy in there, not helped by having a Lego film set on the floor.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 11:14:56

Commiserations on the website, Bitchy. It's infuriating.

<waves to wewerehere> That's an admirable list, especially with a baby at home.

The timer has come to my rescue! I even managed to stir the DC into action by telling them they had to beat the 15-minute time. So...

Ta da :

Got dressed to slippers (15 minutes), whilst running bath for DS1

Swished and swiped in bathroom; changed hand towel

Kitchen chores for 15 minutes (whilst DS1 had a 15-minute bath)
- did washing up
unloaded d/w
unloaded w/m
wiped surfaces
emptied bin
put recycling out
wiped cooker top

Put away washing and put on tumbledryer whilst running bath for DS2

About to do 15-minutes of fractions with DS1 grin.

(They are both having baths at this odd time of day because they've been ill and are feeling yucky).

swanthingafteranother Wed 09-Jan-13 11:24:52

done
recycling, including yukky food compost
clean washing upstairs
hot wash on

todo
keep tackling bedroom!
oh and must ring bank

To do list
up and moving
ds through shower and up and ready for school
label ds' trousers for school - bought last night but too tired to label
label ds' new school shoes
get ds to school
register with web site
do a heap load of paperwork
meeting in next town
ds' swimming lesson ds isn't going he is too tired and will be going straight to bed when he gets in from school.
more paperwork
early night. - really really needed!

Still can't be arsed but going to strip ds' bed and get it washed. Thankfully as he has plenty spare I can make the bed so that it is remade straight away.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 12:15:30

done:

15 mins of fractions with DS1
15 mins of home ed planning whilst DS1 did fraction games on MangaHigh
Washing on

DS2 is being lovely and playing quietly in his room. He has built a whole city on the floor up there, so I will have to tell the cleaner not to hoover in there tomorrow.

Snowgirl1 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:41:45

Tada
Up & dressed
BF DD
Bed made
Sandwiches made for DH & I
Bins out
Made it out of the house only 5 mins late at 7.05am as DD woke up later than normal

To do
Get groceries for dinner
Let DH know he's doing dinner tonight grin (I might get more done tonight as a result [hopeful emoticon]
Pick up DD from nursery
15 mins decluttering
Zone work - fridge cleaning
Put stuff on eBay that I meant to do yesterday
Respond to letter re. legal wrangle (meant to do yesterda)
Start swishing & swiping
Lay clothes out for tomorrow
Early night!

Toffee glad to see I'm not the only one on here who has a cleaner blush but still needs to fly to help keep on top of things - at least that's what I'm hoping flying will do if I can stick to it. And it's the "stuff" that seems to build up everywhere that I want to get on top of. As far as I'm concerned the cleaner is doing the weekly house bleurgh for me.

Back later.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 13:56:12

Snowgirl - there are others with cleaners on this thread wink. I agree - cleaner does a house bleurgh (every other week in my case, so I have to do it every other week too), whilst I deal with clutter and everyday routines. I love the fact that my house is properly cleaned and tidied at least once a fortnight.

done

Cleaned loo thoroughly with bleach (whilst DS1 did Art)
Hoovered kitchen, hall, dining-room, upstairs landing, bathroom (whilst DS1 did Handwriting practice)
Made lunch for DS1, DS2 and myself
Hoovered kitchen, hall, dining-room, upstairs landing and bathroom
Hoovered up cobwebs in bathroom, including two spiders (sorry)
Phone call about our holiday
Policed use of computers for DC
Tried to get them to sort out argument themselves (which they seem to have to done by making up a game involving kicking a tealight confused)

Lots still to do, using the power of 15 mins grin.

feetheart Wed 09-Jan-13 14:07:01

Better than kicking each other I suppose Toffee!

Ta da:
- Get all up and out with surprisingly little fuss
- WORK catch-up - still lots to do though
- S&S, washing done and on line, sink still shiny
- Dinner in slow cooker
- Lunch

Need to evict DH from kitchen soon so I can clean the floor - he occasionally takes up residence in 'my' workspace (the kitchen table) instead of using his pit of an office in the garden. He thinks its nice having time 'working together', I reserve judgment hmm

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 14:21:16

Yes, good point, Feet. I also tried to get them to reach a compromise, which was hilarious as they both thought getting their own way was a compromise.

LillethTheCat Wed 09-Jan-13 14:44:17

I want a cleaner envy Well one day when I have finished my courses and have a decentish job I might just get one.

Found the 5 minute room rescue explanation on Flylady, thanks Bitchy spend just 5 minutes clearing a path in your worst room. You know this area of your home: the place you would never allow anyone to see. Just 5 minutes a day for the next 27 days and you will have a place you can be proud to take anyone. Though I dont have any one room like that (did in my last house, but managed to avoid that so far), just little areas that need sorting.

Anyway

tada
- Wash up 2X
- turn on washing machine
- apply vanish to some clothes
- put out hotspot (I actually did this for the first time today, it was only yesterday I decided exactly where my hotspots were and I have 3)
- 2nd load of washing
- drying

todo
- take laundry upstairs
- wash up
- Shine Sink
- put out hotspot
- lay out clothes for tomorrow
- fill machine for tomorrow
- 5 min room rescue (if I can decide which room to do that in or to skip that step)
- coursework

Its lovely weather here, but I can tell its got colder today. Supposed to have snow at the weekend. If it comes it better not disrupt any travelling.

swanthingafteranother Wed 09-Jan-13 14:54:56

decluttered a bit more, YAY! 3 bin bags of rubbish from bedroom area/upstairs hall

done hoovering of bedroom...still moving at snail's pace though...so tired today, tidied 3 kids bedrooms in 5 min bursts

now to put new sheets on my bed, put stuff under bed again which has been dusted, spray vim on basin/loo ensuite upstairs

and it's nearly pick up time hey ho, house seems worse than when I started

Aagh! I've killed the computer! confused Booked it in for tomorrow and got to work on the laptop. Just hope I haven't lost too much...

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 15:38:09

Oh no, that's awful, Blue. Reminds me of when DS1 spilt water over my new laptop sad.

Wow, swan, you have done loads considering you said you were suffering cba!

The people are pissing me off!!!!
Ashamed to say I shouted and treated like child blush <grumpy>

Ta da list
up and moving
get ds to school
register with web site
meeting in next town
ds' swimming lesson (ds isn't going he is too tired and will be going straight to bed when he gets in from school.)
Strip ds' bed and remade with spare bedding
Collect laundry
15mins ironing
reactive hand warmers
Take ds the long way home to burn off energy before being sent to bed
Speak to teacher. Ds seems to be settling in school but not at home
Get post returned to sender because it is STILL getting sent to the wrong address
Eat own body weight in chocolate thus falling off the diet

Right going to go put a load of washing on, drink coffee and see if i can tame the laundry mountain that is so big it is now spilling off the dining table onto the floor blush

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 16:08:29

Oh dear, sounds grim, Bitchy. I don't blame you for comforting yourself with chocolate (fellow chocoholic here).

done

Made cookie dough with DS2
Did science experiment with ice cubes, thread and salt with DS2
Phone call re DS1's new exercise class (wants to try climbing)

Hmm, not sure what else we have been doing, but there doesn't seem to have been any Flying going on. Both DC now having computer time, which means I can start tidying etc.

Am so bored with doing the same old housework over and over again though. I know we all have to do it, but it's such a bloody boring and thankless task and there are so many other things I'd so much rather be doing.

SilveryMoon Wed 09-Jan-13 17:33:24

Hello all. What a day.
Toffee Hope your ds is feeling better.
Can't believe today is the day that I'll have to do that ironing sad
Drove to and from work today smile but I really need dp to calm himself down. he seems to think I got to b eing ready and taking test without knowing what road marking mean and without knowing how to cross traffic to turn right. Gimp.
He talks/shouts/whines at me with such attitude that I'm quite tempted to not get behind the wheel with him again.
Yesterday, I'd asked him to direct me to work. Ok, I should know the way, I do it every day on the bus, but instead of just telling me, he wants to lecture me about me not paying attention and that I should know. Just fing tell me where to turn if I ask.
Then coming home tonight, he's yelling at me that I wanted to take a left there. No, I didn't you wanted me to take a left there. i didn't ask you to help/direct me and I like to go a different way.
When I'm reversing, he's telling me when I've gone far enough, but if there's nothing coming or nothing behind me, let me figure it out, you know?
Gggrrrrrrr, that on top of a hard day at work. So stressed out.

Tada
Got up and made beds
Fed cats
Got breakfast
Cleared breakfast away
Swished and swiped
Laundry
Go to work
Get dressed (this last is in no particular order)
Rr
Hs's
Tesco
Cooked dinner for ds's
Special time

To do
Afternoon routine
Bath boys
Homework
Babystep
Mission/detail
Cook dinner for me and dp
Ironing
Bed. No falling asleep on sofa.

Can't see it all happening though.
Anyone else find that all these things that need to be done daily leaves very little time for other things, like relaxing, playing, etc? or am I just doing everything at the wrong times? I'd like to be able to spend more time with the boys during the week, but I also don't want to spend all evening after they've gone to bed cleaning. Must try to figure out how to get it to meet in the middle. Any grand ideas from you long-term flyers/fliers? confused

ToffeeWhirl Wed 09-Jan-13 17:57:48

Hi, Silvery. Very annoying about your DH, but I suppose he's got to get used to you being a driver now. He should learn to bite his tongue!

DS2 is absolutely fine, thanks. It's so annoying that I had to keep him off school today. No upset tum now. No temperature. And talking nineteen to the dozen!

In answer to your question: that is my eternal dilemma and I don't know how others solve it. I never seem to get the balance quite right. Personally, I think the most important thing is to spend time with your DC because you will never have their childhood with you again, but obviously you need a clean and tidy house too. Maybe use the 15-minute rule again? (Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with this today?), eg. "I'll play with you for 15 minutes, but then I must go and get on with some chores."

The times I have followed the Flylady instructions to the letter, I have spent an awful lot of time cleaning and decluttering. I think the idea is that you work hard keeping on top of the chores in the week and then you can relax a bit more and enjoy family/relaxing time at the weekend. And also, as you declutter, the housework gets easier. But sometimes I find I just don't have the energy to rush around doing missions and keeping up with routines, which is why DH often comes home to an untidy house blush.

And sometimes I do get a bit distracted by MN...

<rushes off to do some room rescues>

Engelsemama Wed 09-Jan-13 18:03:34

<wipes sleep from eyes and staggers out from under the duvet>

Congratulations Gossip thanks

cuddledup Sorry to hear of your loss

sc have just been laughing at your bedroom antics grin

castle I love your ta da list last night ( would love to be stuffing buttered toast into my mouth and watching revenge grin ). Good luck shredding – the most I managed was 10 days straight (in the summer holidays). On school days Gillian don’t stand a chance smile

After two weeks of stuffing my face and being very inactive, I have been starving the last two nights at the end of the working day. January is definitely not the best time for me to start cutting down though lord knows I need to

<snuggles back down under duvet>

Ta da list
up and moving
get ds to school
register with web site
meeting in next town
ds' swimming lesson (ds isn't going he is too tired and will be going straight to bed when he gets in from school.)
Strip ds' bed and remade with spare bedding
Collect laundry
15mins ironing
reactive hand warmers
Take ds the long way home to burn off energy before being sent to bed
Speak to teacher. Ds seems to be settling in school but not at home
Get post returned to sender because it is STILL getting sent to the wrong address
Eat own body weight in chocolate thus falling off the diet
load of washing through wm and into dryer
unload, reload and run dw
ironing
folding
pair socks
looooong discussion with ex
get hold of fabric for making a new and hopefully indestructable pe bag
feed cord back into ds' pe shorts

Right I am going to get this stupid pe bag made and head to bed. Night night

SilveryMoon Wed 09-Jan-13 19:21:04

Thanks toffee good to know I'm not alone in the kids vs housework battle. I think you're right re it getting easier. I think once I've done a couple of fall laps round the house, it won't take nearly as long.
I'm also thinking of changing the 15 min rule to 10, the 5 min room rescue to 2 and so on.. All adds up and I'm only in a 2 bedflat so not like I have a huge house to clean.
I hate the thought of not having enough tine with my boys.

DoubleMum Wed 09-Jan-13 19:38:37

I'm (oddly) finding it more difficult now the DCs are back at school, as I work form home so must do that while they are gone, and now there is homework/reading etc to fit in too, as well as school & club pick-ups etc. Just need to find a way to fit Flying into this too I guess.
So ta da:
dishwasher stuff
made chicken stew & dumplings
made cauliflower soup
booked birthday party
shopped for birthday presents
but really no actual flying

to do:
hotspot kitchen & dining table
DCs tidy living room
shine sink

Being easy on myself.

GoingGoingGoth Wed 09-Jan-13 19:49:34

Evening update

Done
Dd packed lunch
Dh taken her to school
Windows
Put clothes away
Fed cat
5 min tidy up in bedrooms
Wash up
Vacuuming- done by Dh
Cleaned fridge
Visited Jobcentre- am now signed up for an introduction to self employment!
Collect Dd
Dinner
Wash up & shine sink
Knitting-making cardigan for Dd

To do
Ironing
Go to bed early

MercuryRising Wed 09-Jan-13 20:11:27

Evening all!

Just a quick list dump as Im shattered. Im off for a bath and an early night with a book (Ive joined the read 50 books in 2013 thread and several of the ladies over there have already finished 5 books! Im only on my first, and I feel like I should get some reading done)

Ta da
Up, ready and out
Beds made
Ss
Laundry rebooted x 2
Downstairs hoovered
Rr dcs room, living room
Dw
Dinner made
Kitchen cleaned
Sink shined
Tomorrows lunches made
Last of the Christmas decs returned to the loft by dp

I went in to help in dcs school today which was great but has meant minimal flying. However Dp has decluttered in the cupboard under the sink as we think we may have mice - so had to have a clear out to check. It looks like we do so I will be off to the shops tomorrow for either traps or poison.

Sorry about the lack of personals but I will catch up properly tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now