What do you have between your/DC's mattress and sheet?

(18 Posts)
MadNortherner Mon 31-Dec-12 15:36:47

My mum always used to make my bed with at least a soft brushed cotton sheet (or at one point a sheepskin type thing) under the sheet. Made it comfier I recall.

My children have just recently gone from cot beds into single beds and the new mattress feels rather hard and cold.

I realise I may sound PFB but I was also wondering about putting something on ours too, so it's maybe just my preference.

Just wondered if there was a consensus out there on what people generally do these days.

A warm fleecy mattress cover - much cosier than just a sheet and mattress.

And an electric blanket, but that's just us...

My DC have a double folded fleecy blanket with a pampers bed mat on top incase they wet the bed then a sheet and duvet.

mirandassofunny Mon 31-Dec-12 16:12:21

i ordered incontinence sheets to protect the mattress, they were £12 each and have 2 1 to wash, just in case .
dunelm do some snuggle blanket things about £20 for single i've heard they're fab!!!

AuntieShirley Mon 31-Dec-12 17:50:26

Mine have a thin duvet between mattress and sheet blush dh thinks it daft, but dc love it and complain if I leave it off!

Quilted mattress protector (and also waterproof)

Newforestpony Mon 31-Dec-12 17:54:41

A mattress topper to make it cosy, with a waterproof cotton cover on top, then a sheet, and then a second waterproof cotton cover and finally a bedmat to make changing in the middle of the night simple. Just strip off the top sheet, bedmat and waterproof sheet to the next layer down - you can do it sleepwalking then!

bamboostalks Mon 31-Dec-12 17:54:45

Mattress protector on every mattress. I would never just put a sheet on a bare mattress. That would be horrid.

AfterEightMintyy Mon 31-Dec-12 17:57:10

When they were little and prone to leaks and accidents mine had a thick waterproof fitted sheet that had a soft towelling top. They were great and could stand plenty of 60 degree washes. Think I got them in Debenhams.

1996timeforchange Mon 31-Dec-12 18:18:14

Ikea matress protectors!!

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Mon 31-Dec-12 18:21:16

The DCs have waterproof mattress protectors. We have a lovely quilted one! smile

All but the youngest two have memory foam mattresses though, so comfy enough.

HappyNewBleurgh Mon 31-Dec-12 18:24:02

We have a mattress protector, a blanket to make it soft and warm, then the fitted sheet to lie on.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Mon 31-Dec-12 18:24:44

dc's have waterproof mattress protectors, and ds has an extra pampers bed mat on top of the waterproof protector and under the sheet as he is still more prone to wetting at night (only occasionally thank goodness)

LynetteScavo Mon 31-Dec-12 18:25:12

Waterprof mattress protector.

I keep meaning to buy DS2 a quilted fleecy topper thingy, but never get round to it.

FortyFacedFuckers Mon 31-Dec-12 18:26:31

My DS has a quilted mattress protector on his bed.

MushroomSoup Mon 31-Dec-12 18:46:35

Quilted mattress cover.

MadNortherner Mon 31-Dec-12 19:39:33

Thanks all, most useful as always.

Happy New Year!

MadNortherner Mon 31-Dec-12 21:02:53

I have now bought a mattress protector for each of them and will buy something else once we've recovered financially from Christmas!

Thank you again.

PS if anyone sees this message after this - let me know what you have and what you'd recommend since I do intend to get something else too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now