Too many of one item? Fancy a 'no buying/no acquiring' challenge?

(36 Posts)
ariadneoliver Belgium Mon 31-Dec-12 15:20:26

I've been decluttering and tidying, inspired by the minimalist thread here. Over the weekend I have decided that I have too many:

Mugs
Tea lights (Do I need 50?) hmm
Bags for life/cloth shopping bags (I tend to pick them up as freebies at events, I seem to have enough for several lifetimes).
Espresso cups, I love them but could now open a cafe.

In 2013 I resolve not to buy any more of the above until I am down to my last one (or set) and I am not going to accept any more free bags when they are offered.

What are you overstocked with?

ariadneoliver Belgium Tue 08-Jan-13 09:25:20

It's amazing how long toiletries last, even in a hard water area. When I decided to use up mine I thought I had a few months worth but it turned out I had a year's supply of most stuff.

SlatternismyMiddlename Sun 06-Jan-13 21:45:45

Toilet roll - I'm always worried we might run out. Last month, after much mocking from DH , he counted how many were spare, 48 blush. I will not buy anymore until we are down to the last 12.

Magazines, I keep thinking I will return to them but never do. Recycling bin here I come.

Startail Sun 06-Jan-13 21:22:46

plastic boxes
DD smellies they need to use their various little sower gels etc.
seeds I'm the worlds laziest gardener. I buy them, but don't plant them.

HollaAtMeBaby Sun 06-Jan-13 20:56:26

Everyday toiletries - handwash, shower gel etc. I blame Poundland for the mountain of these I have amassed... but my 2013 resolution is to use it all up and only buy more of something when it actually runs out.

I must not buy any notebooks, even though I love new notebooks and hate writing in them once I've written on ten pages or so. I must resist though.

Could do with some new teatowels though - the ones I've bought in the past year have all been so crap that I might as well not have bothered.

carlywurly Sun 06-Jan-13 19:32:57

I'm trying to get rid of one toiletry item, one household item and one piece of clothing every single day. Not much on a daily basis but over the year - and yes, I really do own that many cosmetics blush

Everything else is on a need not want basis, and love not like on new clothing purchases.

I just got sick of clutter and felt bad for the shameful over possession of things. It used to be normal for me to buy 4 or 5 new items of clothing a week - no longer. Strictly one in, one out!

redwellybluewelly Sun 06-Jan-13 19:25:25

Toiletries though we have one shower gel/shampoo out at a time. One soap refill by each sink and when we moved I boxed up extras and working through them. If people buy us toiletries they are used if liked and regifted if not.

redwellybluewelly Sun 06-Jan-13 19:22:58

mugs. I have two types, earthenware and porcelain for posh afternoon tea or fruit teas. The earthenware have taken a hit recently with many simply cracking or breaking, I blame the over zealous dishwasher in our last house, some I'd have almost twenty years

Tea towels. Have too many but for various uses, only have six posh on display without cringing ones!

Sheets. Far far too many singles and not enough king. We desperately need new king/double duvet covers as all ours are white and looking v past it.

Clothes. Just too many

Books. Too many

Paperwork. Im drowning.

I salute the not buy approach. Dc2 is due in june and by then my house will be decluttered, decorated and have oodles of storage. Dh has sighed and agreed.

ariadneoliver Belgium Sun 06-Jan-13 14:14:57

YY to travel sized things. I solved this one by buying little bottles and post at Superdrug, so on the rare occasions I need travel sized stuff I just decant what I'm using at the time.

SlatternismyMiddlename Sun 06-Jan-13 10:38:41

Travel size/little bottles of lotions - I have hoarded these for years in the belief I could use them when travelling. The thing is since the kids came along I don't travel anywhere near as much and when I do I always take the full size bottles. I must use them up.

Boxes - I have kept these just in case I ever need to wrap something awkwardly shaped. So far I have not come across anything that I couldn't wrap. So why do I still keep a ridiculous amount of empty boxes? (I did donate a big bag of them to the school before Christmas).

I have many more and will return!

ComradeJing Sun 06-Jan-13 04:58:49

I'm in. We've just relocated from where we had to import various toiletries to Aus where its all available.

I'm not buying any shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant or body moisturiser or nail polish or nail polish remover. Keep me strong!

madmomma Sat 05-Jan-13 21:51:40

clothes for the kids to grow into - bloody drawers full,
crappy bastard tupperware,
make up,
nasty overperfumed toiletries
On the other hand I adore mugs almost as much as children. Each mug has its own unique character and I could happily take on all your unwanted mugs and love them all. Candles too. I can never have too many candles.

Murtette Sat 05-Jan-13 00:00:04

Community halls or PTA or other associations often take mugs.

NewYearNewNagoo Thu 03-Jan-13 20:39:09

Rhubarb you can send me a teatowel wink I haven't got enough at all. They don't get used for dish drying in my house, more general 'being a cloth' duties, and I never have a clean one! Where have they gone?

Also if anyone has a dessert spoon mountain, some of them will be my runaways.

ariadneoliver Belgium Thu 03-Jan-13 09:39:30

Wasabi how about requesting gardening accessories if people ask? Wilkinsons usually do a range, but it might be early yet, or something like this: link

wasabipeanut Wed 02-Jan-13 21:03:20

Hazel the seeds idea is really good. We're well into our gardening here. I will probably wimp out though. Why is it so difficult to not ask for presents? You think people would be happy not to spend cash but yet I worry about offending people!

Rhubarbgarden Wed 02-Jan-13 19:50:50

Oh dear, tea towels. blush But I love them; I just can't help buying them. Really should do a cull though.

And I have too many candles, even though I hate them. People keep buying me the sodding things. New year resolution to actually burn them or re-gift the ones that I can remember who gave me them.

NewYearNewNagoo Wed 02-Jan-13 14:31:57

Cookbooks is a good one. I just don't use 80% of the ones I have. And I always look online now anyway for recipes.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 02-Jan-13 13:44:30

For me: No More Makeup, unless it's something I use all the time and I have run out, ie foundation/mascara. Will need to do another cull of all the rest of the makeup/beauty products that I still have...

No more kitchen implements. Or cookbooks.

And really will continue to wage the war on little plasticy toys, that provide 5mins of entertainment, only to be discarded. But never actually allowed to be thrown away...

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 02-Jan-13 13:41:17

wasabi It's DD's 3rd birthday at the end of Jan. Would it be really mean to ask people not to bring gifts for her party?

Nope, not mean, IMHO. But people will probably ignore you... unless you think of something else to 'request' instead? At risk of outing myself, last year for my DS's 3rd Bday, i requested ... fruit/veg seeds (if people insisted on a present).

NB I know that this seems really grabby, but really did not want any more shite!

ariadneoliver Belgium Wed 02-Jan-13 13:36:13

I've just disposed of a couple of bags for life by taking stuff to the charity shop in them. I'll need another trip at least and maybe some mugs could accompany another.

Well done on the eyeshadow!

NewYearNewNagoo Wed 02-Jan-13 12:20:34

I've given away my eyeshadow collection today. I don't need them. The toys are fitting in the cupboards, and I am going to cull the baby cups later on smile

noisytoys Wed 02-Jan-13 11:51:02

Stuffed toys. We have billions of them. DDs can choose a few favourites then the whole lot can go. Mugs too. I think we have breeding mugs. I never buy any but we always have loads

ariadneoliver Belgium Wed 02-Jan-13 11:22:47

Looks like mugs are a popular item. Local charity shops should prepare for a rush. Is there anywhere else that would take them?
I have also discovered while sorting out the kitchen that I have 12 tea towels, realistically that's about 8 more than I need.

wasabipeanut Wed 02-Jan-13 10:55:22

I'm with you, I've got things like mugs coming out of my ears. And as for the playroom <sighs and shakes head>.

It's DD's 3rd birthday at the end of Jan. Would it be really mean to ask people not to bring gifts for her party?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now