Basil

(11 Posts)
DutchOmainthestable Sun 30-Dec-12 14:17:46

Not sure whether to post it here or in cookery or gardening.
Anyway, I bought a pot of basil in Tesco and it said 'best before' three days hence. So i thought, "Well, it is in a pot, in earth and it will grow." Unfortunately, not so. Within about a week it is beginining to wilt from the bottom up and it is now almost entirely black, about a fortnight after I bought it. I have watered it once by plunging it in the rain butt and waiting till it stopped bubbling.
Has anybody any ideas about: why you can't keep basil on the window cill in a pot or what I have done wrong to keep it alive. The window is east facing and gets the very early morning sun, but not in winter.

Gauri Sun 30-Dec-12 14:24:19

Basil is very hard to keep/maintain in British weather/temperatures. It grows well in warm sunny places. You have to be careful re. Overwatering too.

Waswondering Sun 30-Dec-12 14:31:27

A horticultural friend told me the supermarkets put something in the soil of potted herbs which means they die within days and that it's better to either grow your own from seed or get from a garden centre as they should last longer. HTH

I recall being told basil is sensitive to temperature changes and doesn't like the moving between the place it grows / the supermarket / your house

I've grown it successfully from seed in the garden

MrsPnut Sun 30-Dec-12 14:33:53

Potted supermarket herbs can be kept alive but you need to repot it almost straight away and divide the plant in half. The roots are too bound up to survive for long otherwise.
It's also difficult to keep basil alive during the colder months, I've grown it outside from a supermarket pot during the summer but the first chilly night and it dies back.

DutchOmainthestable Sun 30-Dec-12 15:24:57

Thank you all for your replies. I think I have grown it once from seed, but it didn't really thrive. Not warm enough, probably. Maybe keep it in a south facing window next.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 30-Dec-12 15:41:18

I bought a pot from Sainsbury in April and it thrived for about three months in a north facing window. Have never had one live that long before. The next one did almost as well but every pot I've bought since had died within days.

amazonianwoman Mon 31-Dec-12 13:02:39

The large potted ones I buy from supermarkets always last for months on the north facing windowsill in our kitchen. I only water them when they wilt.

SavoyCabbage Mon 31-Dec-12 13:14:24

I had a supermarket one for ages on the window sill. I only ever watered it from the bottom.

Ruprekt Mon 31-Dec-12 13:15:34

When I saw the thread title 'Basil' I thought it was under Baby Names!!!!! grin

Just no!

My basil grows beautifully in a terracotta pig on the kitchen windowsill.

DutchOmainthestable Mon 31-Dec-12 15:13:00

Basil and Cecil would definitely be out as baby names. I have tipped mine, it was too sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now