can you tell me your weekly and monthly cleaning and tidying routine please?

(16 Posts)
biglips Sat 29-Dec-12 21:09:59

As Im looking to get ideas of getting into a routine as I leave things till I see it as a mess and then I tidy it up but it takes me ages.

My youngest is 6 m and just started weaning him and still breastfeeding him too.

Thanks

SilveryMoon Sat 29-Dec-12 21:13:46

Flylady is fab.
I used to do her routines a couple of years ago and am going to get back into it now.
I'm ok at surface cleaning, but it's finding the time to do all the detailed bits. Flylady works on 15 minute sessions a day and on the website, there's a place where she walks you through making your own household diary/routine book.
I'm going to dig mine out ready for Monday.
here is a link to the flylady page.

Yankeecandlequeen Sun 30-Dec-12 18:59:06

Not a day goes by I don't do something. Before I take the kids to school & I go straight to work, I make all the beds (or get the eldest 2 to make their own) & ensure the kitchen is clean & tidy (wash all the breakfast dishes). I always tidy up the living room before I go to bed so when I get up in the morning its nice & presentable. I find it easier now that the kids toys are banned from there - they each have their own rooms since we moved to the new place.

Little things every day does work. I can easily clean the bathrooms in 20 after tea (or dinner if you're posh).

exoticfruits Sun 30-Dec-12 19:13:02

I don't have a routine-I don't like them-I just do things as they need it.

SnowyGrey Sun 30-Dec-12 19:27:13

I used to be extremely messy - now I'm extremely tidy. (since having DCs 1 and 2 I have got more and more clean & tidy!!!) I like things immaculate and I have 2 under 4 so it's a challenge but I deal with it every day. I also work full time.

Basically this involves constantly doing something to make the house either cleaner, tidier or both. eg If I go in the kitchen for a cup of tea, I will probably empty the dog bowls, wash up a few bits in the sink, put away the few dry bits on the draining board, put the empty milk carton in the recycling (outside the back door). What I don't do is stare at it all like I used to, thinking "I'll wash up when there's a full bowl... no point putting the drying away yet, there's more coming... I'll wait until I have a massive amount of recycling before I can be bothered to open the back door and drop it in the right bin..."

I don't go to bed before the lounge has been tidied of all toys, cups, plates and rubbish. The dishwasher goes on last thing at night. It gets emptied first thing in the morning, when I am waiting for the kettle to boil.

I have learnt that your house is only as good as the storage you give it, so everything has a home. I have hooks everywhere on the back of doors. All shoes have a home. The hallway is always clear.

I don't go up or down the stairs without taking something. Every time I leave a room I generally do something to make it more pleasant or cleaner or tidier.

I am basically 100% less lazy than I used to be, but I didn't realise I was being lazy. I used to wonder how other people had homes that looked good and tidy all the time, and now I know that if you want your home to look good you have to get decent storage, decent cleaning stuff and deal with it all the time not just once every three weeks. I am just constantly making good the areas I walk through. That's it really. (keeps me fit, I don't do excersise otherwise!)

BoffinMum Sun 30-Dec-12 22:58:24

Weekly cleaning schedule

This is how I do it!

GiddeeDizzee Sun 30-Dec-12 23:08:03

BMum - love that link is called Austerity Housekeeping and assumes wanton use of tumble drier. Have tumble drier, can't afford to run it sad

GiddeeDizzee Sun 30-Dec-12 23:11:47

Like it though, going to have a go (w/out t drier bit obv).

golemmings Sun 30-Dec-12 23:11:50

Hells teeth. Just followed that link, boffin. There is no way on earth I could do that in a week. I might manage one of those days spread across the week...

BoffinMum Sun 30-Dec-12 23:24:52

LOL Austerity can be a relative term ... I have avoided putting up posts on where to get your Aston Martin serviced cheaply and how to find the Eton fees down the back of the sofa grin grin

In fact a good alternative to a tumble dryer is to tie the clothes to your Range Rover and drive around very fast on a windy day.

In terms of the cleaning, it depends on the size of your house and how much slave labour children you have available.

BoffinMum Sun 30-Dec-12 23:26:11

Oh yes, and you can grow vegetables more easily if you save every bit of manure from your racehorse grin

I'm pretty much the same as Snowey Grey. Do tihngs all the time, as they need doing, and then when Ihave a bit more time (like at the weekends or half term) I do extra thorough cleans.

Not a day goes by when I don't do some sort of cleaning, and tidying up gets done all the time by everyone in the family.

Flylady is good too, I have browsed through the threads for ideas and inspiration before. I never go to bed with a dirty sink after reading the fly lady threads!

BoffinMum that blog only has the bathroom cleaned once a week! That is shocking. I clean my bathroom daily. Same for the kitchen.

I am a slattern when it comes to bedding though. That doesn't get done weekly blush

BoffinMum Sun 30-Dec-12 23:47:03

Over, I give mine an in between clean but a lot of people only do bathrooms weekly.

biglips Thu 03-Jan-13 21:33:15

thanks everyone.......ive had a look on flylady and i remember seeing summat a while ago about having young ones as i cannot be cleaning all day but i do have 1.5 hrs to tidy/clean up etc in the mornings and same in afternoon too as ive got a 6 m old and my youngest dd is in nursery in mornings where my oldest in school all day but i gotta pick her up after school.

thanks

biglips Thu 03-Jan-13 21:35:35

snowygrey....that's me! when i leave things to build up which i hate...grr and i need and want to change for my sanity!! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now