Cleaning wooden floors

(10 Posts)
notasausage Sun 30-Dec-12 15:25:04

Hoover then damp emop with method wood floor cleaner. I have laminate, acres of bloody laminate including the kitchen which is permanently filthy but I can get it clean doing this...... Until the next meal!

RoseWei Sun 30-Dec-12 14:08:20

Have laminate floors - and finding these ideas useful - laminate is cheap (ish) but looks grubby so quickly. How does anyone here clear laminate wood floors? Thanks -

ComradeJing Sun 30-Dec-12 14:04:28

Thanks all.

My cloth was very well wrung out but the floor looks cloudy and I couldn't shift any of the sticks marks or other grub marks.

Will have another look and think but I have a horrid feeling it will be a hands a d knees task. confused

PigletJohn Sun 30-Dec-12 11:38:14

Hoovering first, and a damp, wrung-out but not wet mop. It should not leave any visible water especially in the joints and dry off in less than a minute.

My knees aren't very good.

Bonsoir Sun 30-Dec-12 09:56:59

I agree with others - don't mop wooden floors. When you use a water solution, do it with a well-rung cloth on hands and knees.

Bonsoir Sun 30-Dec-12 09:56:08

I have 90 year old parquet, which has been sealed. Mostly it just gets vacuumed, but from time to time I wash it with an e-cloth and a light bleach solution (Cillit Bang) on my hands and knees. The edges particular near the skirting get very black.

Method makes a wood floor cleaner which smells of almonds and smells gorgeous. I spray it on and then go over the floor with a microfibre broom thing. Don't mop - it will leave too much water behind and could make the boards warp.

PenguinBear Sat 29-Dec-12 15:20:57

Steam cleaner smile dries very quickly and no chemicals needed smile

Gumps Sat 29-Dec-12 12:57:41

Just water I have been told.

ComradeJing Sat 29-Dec-12 12:56:41

What's the best way?

I have newish wooden floors (6 years) and some original floorboards too (90 years). Everything looks polished but I've really no idea.

I have a hoover, normal broom, one of those brooms with a microfiber fluffy thing for dryh sweeping plus a microfiber cloth for the same broom for wet sweeping / mopping.

At the moment I'm sweeping and then using the wet microfiber cloth to mop.

Should I be mopping just with water or something in the water too? I don't want to damage the boards!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now