Making a New start, Stepping into the New year

(811 Posts)
BlackCatinChristmasChaos Fri 28-Dec-12 04:28:55

Hi all, After a pretty rough ride last year (2012) I think I feel ready to start again with babysteps
So who's with me for the journey?

Old and new steppers are welcome!

Lets do this one small step at a time!

liveinazoo Tue 26-Feb-13 14:34:27

oh.forgot i also planted up some primroses into a tub and put them under the front window!

Zoo - glad little zoo seems better. I like the idea of the cleaning trolley but I do hope people buy them for their little boys as well as little girls! <feminist smilie!>

Scout - Hope SmallBoy is feeling better (like in the Calpol advert!)

I've decided work is getting in the way of me flying and decluttering - I've just had too much work to do today. Just finished at ten past nine ( but I didn't start that early.

I have however made the bed and put all the dirty pots in the dishwasher and tidies the living room ( hurriedly before parents were using it!!)

bessie26 Tue 26-Feb-13 23:00:45

arti my friend's boys have a mini vacuum that really works! envy

Work definitely gets in the way of doing anything useful. <sigh>

Paintyourbox Wed 27-Feb-13 10:36:52

It's decluttering day here today!

DP has just packed away the DVD and surround sound system we never use so it's going on Gumtree.

Someone coming to pick up a heap of excess crockery. Going to tackle the utility room today- charity shop any coats and shoes that we no longer wear. Hopefully that will give me some decent storage and I can move the ironing board and clothes sites from the kitchen!

Woohoo Paintyourbox sounds like full-on decluttering!

I am feeling very tired this morning. I found it hard to get to sleep last night so haven't had as many hours as I needed!

If you hear any snoring I'll have fallen asleep at the keyboard!

I have managed to get up, shower, breakfast and dress and put a load of washing on, but not much else! If the vacuum cleaner wasn't still in the corner of the room waiting for me to either use it or put it away I think I would have forgotten what it looks like!

Scout19075 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:03:30

I have made a to do list and am kicking it's butt! The sun has come out so SB and I are going for a walk to Tesco for a magazine and swim diapers for tomorrow, taking our recycling with us.

Yay for sun!

Will post my list when on my computer.

AdoraBell Thu 28-Feb-13 02:04:16

My fly problem is almost year round, we live rural-ish next to farm land, surrounded by fields and wildlife. Let's just say there's plenty for them to eat and lay eggs on. We built the house and allowed the architect to lead us away from OH's practical window design towards pretty curved windows, so no fly mesh other than on 1 window in the kitchen. And OH is a fresh air fiend, gets up and opens all the bloody windows every bloody morning. I hate chemical sprays and haven't found a natural remedy that works with amount we get, so I spend a bit longer than strictly necessary collecting DDs from school, or just out with them, having closed all the windows and let the little buggers roast. When I open the pressure cooker house again all I have to do is sweep them up <boak>

On a lighter notegrin today I have

Woken DDs to take DD2 for tests, she couldn't have breakfast but did have a strop over the skirt she wanted not being dry and ironed (so she's back to doing her own laundry)
Eventually left
Had brunch around 11.30,
DDs did some shopping
Back home
Lunch
Adjusted buttons on 6 school skirts for DD2, t'other's for DD1 will be done tomorrow.
WM on 4 times this afternoon, everything still on the line
Bathrooms S&S'd
Dinner
Dealt with DD2's pre-dinner tantrum
Loaded DW
Made tea
Watched a bit of TV all together
Sent DDs off to bed
Caught up on MNgrin

WEll - I hada good night's sleep after a few weeks of mainly poor ones and I'm feeling sooooo much better if still a little groggy! I've put washing in the machine, emptied the dishwasher and put some dirties in and done a swish and swipe in the kitchen!

I've got quite a bit on today though so probably won't have too much time for housework sad

Scout - how did you get on with your list?
Adora - fly papers?

bessie26 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:35:52

welcome back paint!

adora we have this on the DD's bedroom windows & it works surprisingly well

hope the list went well scout, and that you get another good night's sleep tonight arti

I went out last night & didn't get home (slightly drunk) until after midnight! shock - I am shattered, but need to sort out online shop that's being delivered tomorrow.

bessie26 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:48:39

I have cleaned the dishwasher & the WM. That is all.

Scout19075 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:49:42

I am unwell and feeling sorry for myself. SmallBoy, however, has had a good day.

AdoraBell Fri 01-Mar-13 15:59:02

Thanks for the link Bessie. We've looked at those here but our problem is the poxy curved Windows. Lovely from an arcitectural POV but bloody useless if you live in the house.

Arti I've tríed fly papers too, and a plug in Blue light thing wot zaps 'em, I don't leave food out, wipe up spills etc. I think they come To get away from intense heat. While the some times gets To 30C it's still a good 10-15 cooler than outside.

Anyway, we're out today so I don't need. To worry about until I get homegrin

AdoraBell Fri 01-Mar-13 17:59:02

The house s

AdoraBell Fri 01-Mar-13 18:01:25

House gets bleeding hot I really should stop posting while OH is driving

BlackCatinChaos Sat 02-Mar-13 10:31:12

<Peeps head round door>

Hi guys, can I come back?

Can't promise to post every day but will pop in when I can.
I feel the need for some spring cleaning so we are hopefully off to the tip this weekend! smile

BlackCatinChaos Sat 02-Mar-13 10:41:52

Sorry for my long absence, I guess I needed to take a break --and play on facebook-- while I get my head in order.

Anyway must go and hang that wet washing. Might pop back later.

Welcome back Cats grin Hope you have productive weekend.

I'm struggling a bit - after Wednesday night's really good night leep I've had two quite poor ones and then slept this afternoon instead of working and doing housework. I've also snaffled far more chocolate than is good for me blush

I think this evening I'm going to need to set the timer and do the 30 mins housework/30 mins work thing once I've finished catching up on mn

bessie26 Sat 02-Mar-13 20:39:58

Welcome back cats!

arti - would the promise of a shiny penny help? wink

I've just made granola for breakfast & the house smells lovely grin - now to finish the meal plan for the week.

bessie it might need to be more than one penny! But I don't mind if they aren't shiny! grin

AdoraBell Sat 02-Mar-13 22:01:58

<polishes pennies to give to Arti>

Hi Ya Cats, how are you doing? Hope the spring cleaning goes well.

I've been to the shops, green grocer for freshly shelled nuts, fruit and salad, supermarket for mini pizzas. DDs go back to school on Monday at last and I've let them choose their first packed lunch of the year, yep pizzas and cakes. They'll protest at the fruit, meh. Their dental appointment went well, still no fillings - which quite frankly amazes me as DD1 would live on sweets and needs badgering to brush her teeth. Clearly my nagging has paid offgrin

Breakfast and lunch have been eaten, DW on, emptied and on again. DDs bags are almost ready for Monday morning, I've told DD1 4 times to bring me her skirts to move the buttons (kilt style), and even told her that if she doesn't they won't get done ever because I'm not doing a mad dash tomorrow night. Looks like they won't get donewink.

OH is busying tinkering in the garage, he's been working on a pergola in the garden, had a handyman put a metal structure in and now OH has given a wooden slatted roof under a UV polycarbonate sheet, hot work with no shade. He also fixed an outside table and discovered a sizeable wasp nest on the underside, not unusual here.

Okay, there's shopping to be put away, dinner to be sorted and dogs to be sorted out. I've let OH look after them while he's been off work because it him that bought two more yet he expects me to do everything, silly boy.

Scout are you feeling any better now?

bessie26 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:46:36

<wafts smell of honey & pecan granola across thread to see if she can entice back any other old flyers>

Are you still trying to sell your house adora? Sounds like DH has been busy! I hope they were was all authorised chores from the "to do" list? grin

scout I hope you & SB are both feeling much better now?

Now then - I know it's a late on a saturday night, but does anyone here use soda crystals to clean their (sink) drains?

On the packet it just says words to the effect of "bung a cupful of crystals down the drain & wash down with boiling water", but i need more detail than that! I want to try to clean the gunk out of the sink-end, rather than the outside-drain-end (if that makes sense?), so how much water do you think I should put down? A cup-full? A pint? A kettle full? It's not actually blocked, so I'm not sure how I will know if what I've done has done any good?!

bessie26 Sun 03-Mar-13 15:07:27

I've done 2x sessions in the garden today & am ready for a snooze!

Scout19075 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:12:10

I am still poorly. sad I had a nap today, though, so that was nice. grin

bessie26 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:52:37

envy at scouts nap!

Scout19075 Sun 03-Mar-13 23:22:55

It wasn't particularly restful, bessie, I kept coughing and I think I swallowed a lot of crap in my sleep because I woke up with that "sick to my stomach" feeling that you get with postnasal drip.

(Sorry for the TMI)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now