Help!! How do I get shoe polish out??

(6 Posts)
HoHoBrandyButter Fri 28-Dec-12 22:28:20

Thanks, will try those suggestions and report back. I washed it thinking it was mud then realised what it was when it didn't come out hmm

fortyplus Fri 28-Dec-12 06:53:50

Lighter fuel - it's magic! Start from outside the mark and work inwards. However it may not work as you've used other things - sometimes a stain can become 'set' if attempts are made to remove it with the wrong substances. Good luck though!

Chanatan Fri 28-Dec-12 06:49:45

Is the coat washable?If so rub a good dollop of swarfega into the stain,leave for about an hour,then wash with biological powder,this method has just got engine oil out of a cream duffle coat.

PigletJohn Fri 28-Dec-12 03:01:40

dry cleaner, and point out what it is.

Shoe polish in a tin is made of (candle)wax, oil, white spirit, and dyes. White spirit will lighten it, but I'm sure a dry cleaner will know the best approach. It needs to be a big enough company to have a stains department.

Oil stains set if you use soap on them.

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Thu 27-Dec-12 23:53:19

Oh no sad

What material is your coat? Is it machine washable?

I have found with some very stubborn stains that a good rubbing with a bar of soap and (perhaps) a nail brush has proven effective, but that obviously depends on the fabric involved.

HoHoBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 23:48:50

Hit on the bright really stupid idea of smartening up my handbag with shoe polish to cover the ratty bits. All was well for a few weeks until it bucketed down, washing polish onto my cream coat yes I know I asked for it .

I've tried stain devil and soda crystals and it has faded but is still obvious. Any ideas, O wise MNers??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now