Help!! How do I get shoe polish out??

(6 Posts)
HoHoBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 23:48:50

Hit on the bright really stupid idea of smartening up my handbag with shoe polish to cover the ratty bits. All was well for a few weeks until it bucketed down, washing polish onto my cream coat yes I know I asked for it .

I've tried stain devil and soda crystals and it has faded but is still obvious. Any ideas, O wise MNers??

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Thu 27-Dec-12 23:53:19

Oh no sad

What material is your coat? Is it machine washable?

I have found with some very stubborn stains that a good rubbing with a bar of soap and (perhaps) a nail brush has proven effective, but that obviously depends on the fabric involved.

PigletJohn Fri 28-Dec-12 03:01:40

dry cleaner, and point out what it is.

Shoe polish in a tin is made of (candle)wax, oil, white spirit, and dyes. White spirit will lighten it, but I'm sure a dry cleaner will know the best approach. It needs to be a big enough company to have a stains department.

Oil stains set if you use soap on them.

Chanatan Fri 28-Dec-12 06:49:45

Is the coat washable?If so rub a good dollop of swarfega into the stain,leave for about an hour,then wash with biological powder,this method has just got engine oil out of a cream duffle coat.

fortyplus Fri 28-Dec-12 06:53:50

Lighter fuel - it's magic! Start from outside the mark and work inwards. However it may not work as you've used other things - sometimes a stain can become 'set' if attempts are made to remove it with the wrong substances. Good luck though!

HoHoBrandyButter Fri 28-Dec-12 22:28:20

Thanks, will try those suggestions and report back. I washed it thinking it was mud then realised what it was when it didn't come out hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now