Pillows ... and sick

(32 Posts)
Cathycat Thu 27-Dec-12 23:28:24

Does anyone manage to wash pillows that have been sicked on without ruining them forever? every time our children are sick the pillows are damaged. I rinse them off, put them in the washer, then they become lumpy and bumpy. I throw them away and buy more. Husband says it's fine as pillows need changing often for hygiene reasons and they don't cost too much but I am a scrooge and like to be careful with money lol! Hand washing in the bath? Yeuch! do they ever dry?!

I'd always recommend generally using dryer balls one, they help the dryer efficiency, dry the clothes faster and save energy.

You can buy packs of them in electrical shops.

www.dryerballs.co.uk/

MousyMouse Sat 29-Dec-12 19:25:09

for the dc we have ikea hollow fibre pillows.
they wash well and dry quickly and are still fluffy after many many washes.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 29-Dec-12 19:30:01

Will get some balls and dot duvet to,

Things you learn on MN every day grin

Ah, well I was 42 last week, finally reached the age where I can start dispensing wisdom Brandy wink

Magnoballs are excellent too.

I know, it sounds like the name of a male stripper in a dodgy pub.

I'll dig out a link....

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 29-Dec-12 23:56:48

I buy cheap pillows for DD for this very reason. Despite buying washable ones, they still came out lumpy. Might try the Ikea ones mentioned above next time though. Otherwise, for the small number of times she's actually sick on her pillow, I bin them rather than wash.

I have used thick towels though as a barrier and they're pretty effective.

We did get a very good duvet from Argos that is machine washable and tumble dryer suitable. That was a good purchase!

We have ikea pillows for this reason too. When machine washing something that's had sick on, I add two drops tea tree oil and two drops lavender oil to the soap dispenser along with the laundry liquid. Helps the smell and its antiseptic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now