Help! Cat piss all over cot and soft toys!

(34 Posts)
SeeYouSoon Wed 26-Dec-12 19:43:57

Well we have got back from mils to the lovely gift of cat piss all over ds's cot and his soft toys. Obviously the sheet has gone straight on the washing machine, but only one of the toys has washing instructions on. For the moment I have sponged them down with water mixed with napisan, but not sure if that will do the trick. Any advice? Also not sure what to do with the mattress. Have turned it over just for tonight but will need to do something with it in the morning. I am fuming!!!!! sad I just hope his toys are recoverable sad

AberdeenButtery Sat 12-Jan-13 00:21:57

White vinegar! It's a mild acid and so neutralises the ammonia in the pee. Don't use soap or bleach etc because it won't neutralize the stink. Pour on the vinegar neat!

Samvet Mon 31-Dec-12 12:27:30

Yes and feliway works well for some. Cats for stress reduction and therefore less peeing.

Samvet Mon 31-Dec-12 12:26:50

Did you have someone coming in to feed them? Could another cat have come in? Don't be cross this is an indication of stress and not malicious. Yep biological washing powder best for cat wee. Ideally wash with that, rinse, allow to dry then spray with surgical spirit and allow to dry. This won't apply to toys but good advice for carpets etc. (colour test first).

Our cat went through a stage of pissing on soft furnishings. Some we just had to replace but we did try washing it out first, I would first disinfect soak then put in washing machine to make it smell normal again. I've tumbled toys and they've come out just fine, I tend to wash things on a high heat if there's any chance of wee poo or vomit being on them. Sometimes fur comes out a little less soft but some fabric conditioner in with it should solve that.
Once theyre dry I would really really sniff them because cat wee smell lingers and isnt always washable.

We found feliway made him much less likely to wee on things. We had one plugin (didnt re fill) and touch wood he hasn't pissed on anything since.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 31-Dec-12 08:48:05

Neutered cats can still spray. About 25% still spray. And spraying is worse in a multi cat households.
OP said hers was neutered up thread.

hatchypom Sun 30-Dec-12 21:06:00

You can get spray from the vet called urine off we've used it on a sofa before. But I'd boil wash the toys and chuck the mattress but I hate cat pee

tigerdriverII Mexico Sun 30-Dec-12 20:54:04

Vinegar really helps with the smell, one of ours inexplicably weed on the seat of a leather armchair. I think I soaked it in vinegar, then washed it in soapy water and then repeated a few times. It was absolutely fine and didn't whiff at all. I googled "how to get rid of cat urine" and there were lots of tips online.

ozymandiusking Sun 30-Dec-12 20:49:15

Assuming the cat is yours and male. please have him neutered asap
It stops them from spraying, they don't wander,and don't fight, or very little!

mathanxiety Sun 30-Dec-12 20:44:32

Can you rent a steam cleaner for the mattress? Worth a try.

PigletJohn Sun 30-Dec-12 09:21:08

Soft toys can take a really long time ti dry when the stuffing is wet through.

In the tumble inside a pillowcase will help, or on a hot radiator.

Warm and damp will make them smell.

Inside the fridge, unwrapped, will dry them out with no mould <true> and this also works with damp leather.

Yankeecandlequeen Sun 30-Dec-12 08:21:10

chuck the toy........and I'd also chuck the cat. otherwise limit it to the garage or something. Eurgh!

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Dec-12 19:24:55

Oh good grin

SeeYouSoon Thu 27-Dec-12 17:53:13

Phew, all toys clean and survived and smelling sweet again ( well cleaner than before they were pissed on as they had been fairly well chewed). Peter rabbit's carrot needed sewing back on but that was the only casualty. grin

SeeYouSoon Thu 27-Dec-12 11:55:47

Thanks, the first you came out smelling sweet so the others are in now and my fingers are crossed! Will wash the mattress and try drying it out while we are away at new year, otherwise it's a new one! Thanks all smile

PolterGoose Argentina Thu 27-Dec-12 09:43:48

Soft toys will clean up fine on a long wash at 40, use a bio powder which will get rid of the cat wee, add some Napisan or Dettol if you must, but not really necessary. They will tumble dry fine on low, just check them every half an hour or so. They will come up all soft and plump!

Wash the mattress as best you can, if it is sprung then the wee will only be on the inch or so of padding so should dry leaned against a radiator. A foam mattress can be dunked and squashed to get most of the water out.

SeeYouSoon Wed 26-Dec-12 21:52:24

Nope, two neutered males. We have had cats for years and years and yes had the odd poo or vom downstairs but never this sad

PigletJohn Wed 26-Dec-12 20:54:02

is it tomcat?

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 26-Dec-12 20:37:43

Can your little one sleep in a travel cot tonight? Or borrow a mattress/ travel cot from a friend? Its got to be a new mattress though you'll never get rid of the smell.

My cats piss on stuff and I fucking hate the for it. If it were up to me they'd never have come back in after one of the damn things pissed on my wedding dress hung up on the outside of my wardrobe (luckily after the wedding) sad

Soft toys will be fine slung in the washer and then put on a low tumble.

It's so frustrating isn't it? I'd never have any more cats.

Mrsrudolphduvall Wed 26-Dec-12 20:29:51

You'll know for the future smile
seriously, our cat is not allowed upstairs .

PeachTown Wed 26-Dec-12 20:28:59

Hot wash all toys and bedding. New mattress. Cats down to the canal!

SeeYouSoon Wed 26-Dec-12 20:27:44

Well if I had a time machine that would be really helpful advice.

Mrsrudolphduvall Wed 26-Dec-12 20:25:53

I'd be keeping the cat well away from bedrooms and send it outside.

duchesse Wed 26-Dec-12 20:24:39

You absolutely can wash soft toys in the washing machine no matter what the instructions say- I do often. They will need very careful drying out though (radiators for a week at least). They might not be exactly as they were before, maybe not as soft and their fur might be a bit clumpier than it was.

The important bit is going to be shifting the cat piss. I suggest soaking them all overnight in a quite strong solution of biological washing powder. There is a product you can get from pet shops to clean pet spills and smells but the lady in the shop told it's essentially just biological washing liquid.

Trekkie Wed 26-Dec-12 20:19:31

I have put plenty of "surface wash only" soft toys in the machine on the handwash/wool setting and they have all come out fine. No problems drying them they came out much dryer than they went in - I think they react well to the spin drying!

JustFabulous Wed 26-Dec-12 20:11:59

Of course you do but be prepared for them not being hygenic and fresh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now