Help! Cat piss all over cot and soft toys!

(34 Posts)
SeeYouSoon Wed 26-Dec-12 19:43:57

Well we have got back from mils to the lovely gift of cat piss all over ds's cot and his soft toys. Obviously the sheet has gone straight on the washing machine, but only one of the toys has washing instructions on. For the moment I have sponged them down with water mixed with napisan, but not sure if that will do the trick. Any advice? Also not sure what to do with the mattress. Have turned it over just for tonight but will need to do something with it in the morning. I am fuming!!!!! sad I just hope his toys are recoverable sad

mathanxiety Sun 30-Dec-12 20:44:32

Can you rent a steam cleaner for the mattress? Worth a try.

ozymandiusking Sun 30-Dec-12 20:49:15

Assuming the cat is yours and male. please have him neutered asap
It stops them from spraying, they don't wander,and don't fight, or very little!

tigerdriverII Sun 30-Dec-12 20:54:04

Vinegar really helps with the smell, one of ours inexplicably weed on the seat of a leather armchair. I think I soaked it in vinegar, then washed it in soapy water and then repeated a few times. It was absolutely fine and didn't whiff at all. I googled "how to get rid of cat urine" and there were lots of tips online.

hatchypom Sun 30-Dec-12 21:06:00

You can get spray from the vet called urine off we've used it on a sofa before. But I'd boil wash the toys and chuck the mattress but I hate cat pee

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 31-Dec-12 08:48:05

Neutered cats can still spray. About 25% still spray. And spraying is worse in a multi cat households.
OP said hers was neutered up thread.

Our cat went through a stage of pissing on soft furnishings. Some we just had to replace but we did try washing it out first, I would first disinfect soak then put in washing machine to make it smell normal again. I've tumbled toys and they've come out just fine, I tend to wash things on a high heat if there's any chance of wee poo or vomit being on them. Sometimes fur comes out a little less soft but some fabric conditioner in with it should solve that.
Once theyre dry I would really really sniff them because cat wee smell lingers and isnt always washable.

We found feliway made him much less likely to wee on things. We had one plugin (didnt re fill) and touch wood he hasn't pissed on anything since.

Samvet Mon 31-Dec-12 12:26:50

Did you have someone coming in to feed them? Could another cat have come in? Don't be cross this is an indication of stress and not malicious. Yep biological washing powder best for cat wee. Ideally wash with that, rinse, allow to dry then spray with surgical spirit and allow to dry. This won't apply to toys but good advice for carpets etc. (colour test first).

Samvet Mon 31-Dec-12 12:27:30

Yes and feliway works well for some. Cats for stress reduction and therefore less peeing.

AberdeenButtery Sat 12-Jan-13 00:21:57

White vinegar! It's a mild acid and so neutralises the ammonia in the pee. Don't use soap or bleach etc because it won't neutralize the stink. Pour on the vinegar neat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now