Boring question - soap dishes

(23 Posts)
AngelDog Fri 21-Dec-12 21:49:43

Is there a design whch doesn't leave you with a wet sludgy mess at the bottom of your bar of soap?

squaredog Fri 21-Dec-12 23:13:35

Imperial Leather.

The paper insignia on each bar isn't just there for 'pretties'. As the bar becomes 'used', the soap actually sits on the paper.......

Difficult to explain, but basically, you simply always put the bar back upside down.

Primrose123 Fri 21-Dec-12 23:23:26

My parents used to have something (back in the seventies). It was a soap holder. They fastened the holder to the wall and it was magnetic. It came with a magnetic disk about the size of a 10p which was pressed into the soap. The soap then stuck to the holder. smile

AngelDog Fri 21-Dec-12 23:41:14

Ah, my parents used to have one of those magnetic things; I'd forgotten about them. I've just googled and found a cheap one with - exactly what I'm looking for. smile

Imperial Leather is no good as we use a special soap due to DS's eczema.

AngelDog Fri 21-Dec-12 23:44:46

But thanks for the idea. smile

HoHoBrandyButter Sat 22-Dec-12 00:14:24

Why does nowhere seem to sell dishes with holes in the bottom? It seems so obvious!!

Iheartpasties Sat 22-Dec-12 00:23:54

linky please! sounds good, but i do not know what to google.

Iheartpasties Sat 22-Dec-12 00:36:16

actually dont worry i have googled it

gobbin Sat 22-Dec-12 10:40:50

Ha we had one of those magnetic soap holders in the 70s lol!

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sun 23-Dec-12 22:11:39

we use hand wash instead of soap. We used to have those magnetic things too when I was wee

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sun 23-Dec-12 22:21:02
Asinine Sun 23-Dec-12 22:23:55

They sell them with holes in the middle in wilko?

AngelDog Sun 23-Dec-12 23:24:55

Liking the cheap & cheerful one. smile

Icelollycraving Fri 28-Dec-12 11:14:10

I use a teeny bit of oil across the soap dish so it doesn't stick if that helps.

Bonsoir Fri 28-Dec-12 13:50:46

Liquid handwash is so much better than soap in every way.

twentythirteen Fri 28-Dec-12 13:56:50

My soap dish is nearly flat so not much water at all stay in the dish.

IWipeArses Fri 28-Dec-12 14:04:39

With many liquid handwashes you are paying for water. And because of that will also contain preservatives, many of which can cause allergic reactions. It's also extra packaging to dispose of and looks messy imo. A bar of soap is classy.

I remember those magnetic soap holders. Grandma used it with Imperial Leather soap. grin

Bonsoir Fri 28-Dec-12 14:06:03

There is no more packaging to dispose of with a liquid handwash than with soap - you buy a pretty dispenser and then fill it with large refills (I buy one litre bottles). It looks a million times prettier than a bar of soap!

IWipeArses Fri 28-Dec-12 14:09:16

I've never seen refills. The additives are the main problem. Soap is just soap, whereas the ingredients lists on liquid cleansers are always extensive and include things I don't want near my skin.

I don't like pretty, I like simple, classy.

Bonsoir Fri 28-Dec-12 14:16:27

There is nothing "classy" about a bar of soap grin. I buy refills of high quality liquid savon de Marseille

IWipeArses Fri 28-Dec-12 14:29:24

Oh, that looks nice and it's just soap so no nasties. That's quite different to the liquid handwash in a plastic bottle one picks up in Tesco Bonsoir, you need to be more specific in the first place.
I imagine our definitions of classy are different. I like simple.

twentythirteen Fri 28-Dec-12 14:46:26

(a debate on which is classier, bar or liquid... grin)

LadyMetroland Fri 28-Dec-12 15:15:53

You can get plain white soap dishes with holes in from Zara Home.

I now use bars of soap - mainly cos of all the packaging waste with bottles, even if you use refills that's still a massive plastic bottle wasted. We get through a lot of soap though - 3 toilets and frequent visitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now