Anyone want to join me in a minimalist journey?

(953 Posts)
lucysnowe Thu 13-Dec-12 14:30:53

I've been reading a load of minimalist mum blogs and have been brainwashed inspired smile. We are undergoing some building work at the mo and the amount of stuff everywhere is absolutely doing me head in. Once it is finished I want to have a ginormous sort and throw out. We are getting a tumble dryer and I plan to start culling clothes, sheets, towels etc, with the aim of getting ALL washing done each week and not have massive full up bins cluttering up the place. Next: toys, ornaments, and random bits of paper. grin Anyone fancy doing the same for the New Year?

Can I ask what websites you use to sell/ get rid of books?

harrietspy Thu 17-Jan-13 14:10:14

I've been using webuybooks.co.uk and fatbrain.co.uk since November. Altogether I've earned about £150 (although you have to be prepared to let books go for a lot less than you paid for them...). They pay up really quickly and it's a very easy system. Good luck!

blossombath Thu 17-Jan-13 14:32:03

Hello everyone, just been catching up on all your good work and ideas after a few days off mn due to returning to work- decided to be strict with internet so I had time to wind down and cuddle.ds after work.
Not much to report at home, but at work I returned to find someone had stolen my desk drawer unit, so will be aiming to manage without one, enforced minimalism...

Ha! Box of books actually out of the flat and on its way to webuybooks!
I should be a whole £10 richer! Ha!

I really don't know how you lot are making so much money selling old books. Hardly any of mine are worth anything <sulks>

BoffinMum Thu 17-Jan-13 16:45:25

Magpie Music box collected by courier - will be £40 richer.
We Buy Books have just been sent my third box so that will another £30 worth (they have a promo code on Google+ that gives an extra 25%, by the way).
Plus two huge bags of the remaining books to the book recycling thing at the supermarket.
I am starting to be able to breathe a bit in here now.

BoffinMum Thu 17-Jan-13 16:49:10

Text books and rare art books seem to be worth the most, then hardback fiction recently published, then literary paperbacks from the last year or so, then non literary fiction. The rest of the stuff doesn't have a value for them, but I think people would buy it in a charity shop so altruism can kick in there. wink

One thing that has been instructive to me is how value-less some of the books are, written by public figures and slebs. Clearly they have an extremely limited shelf life and many don't do that well, I think. Interesting.

I noticed my own little eBook on housekeeping (6 weeks to write) is massively outselling my 'proper' academic book on education (5 years to write, beautifully crafted, great reviews). Says it all, really. <sob>

thunksheadontable Thu 17-Jan-13 17:01:13

Does anyone know of a Music Magpie type service for DVDs and/or videogames e.g. x box?

blossombath Thu 17-Jan-13 18:01:23

Music Magpie take DVDs and games thunks.

blossombath Thu 17-Jan-13 18:07:40

also webuybooks takes CDs so might take DVDs...

wendybird77 Thu 17-Jan-13 18:14:15

My minimizing efforts today have been restricted to clearing out one file folder. Not much, but I've been DIYing today and need to focus on that at the moment. I will say though that I am nearly done with my files and need to keep surprisingly little.

Of course tomorrow I've set aside for doing my tax return, so need to dig out the box of receipts. Ahem. This is my first one and I'm dreading it. Need wine.

Yes please, let's start another thread when this one is full (sorry, not volunteering!). DP has now put all his vinyl on discogs so now only about 400 CDs to go <groan>. The response has been unexpectedly good though. £45 for a Neil Young album? Yes please!

We now have over £700 in our Paypal account after selling bits and pieces in the last couple of months. This hasn't been the result of a massive decluttering purge but just doing a few things every couple of days. I can't believe that we've both had all this stuff sitting around, not adding value to our lives that people are willing to pay such good money for.

We've booked a camping holiday to Spain for two weeks in August and this will pay for a fair chunk of it. If we keep going like this, it may well pay for the whole thing. I find that incredibly motivating - it's not so much about the money but the thought of having a great time and all those memories as a result of being more minimalist.

thunksheadontable Thu 17-Jan-13 19:14:32

Done! Courier ordered and should be 92.88 richer in a matter of days...

Yay!

velo, interesting you should ask about wedding dresses. Mines going on ebay this week and I'm sorry in a way. Was not a "proper" wedding dress, just long white dress from monsoon but I wore it lots to evening events afterwards so did get my money worth. I'm 32 now and also think there comes a point where drifting around looki iong virginal is less easy to pull off (especially with four children and bump in tow.

blossombath Thu 17-Jan-13 19:58:46

Wow queen that's brilliant. Any money I have made in past year or so from de-cluttering/selling has gone on baby stuff like nappies or second hand slings/carriers/buggy snuggle/whatever else (and some clutter for me blush) so I have no satisfying total. Now I'm on this minimalist journey (and we have most of the things he needs) I might try and build up the pp to spend on a nice experience or put towards the mortgage. Every little helps, right?!

Yay for a new thread!

Velo my wedding dress is boxed up and under my old bed at my parents house. I'm quite short and it was altered a lot to fit me so I don't think it would sell easily. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

IWipeArses Thu 17-Jan-13 20:49:01

Wedding dress, mine is in the loft. It would need repairing before I could sell it as it ripped along the bodice/skirt join. I'm considering having it used to make a fairy dress (or three) for DD when she's a little bigger.

BlackBagBorderBinLiner Thu 17-Jan-13 21:23:29

That's a great idea IWipe the dressing up box is probably explored once a week and always if we have visitors. To be fought over the dress has to be too long and slightly sparkly. It would certainly be enjoyed.

notcitrus Thu 17-Jan-13 22:05:29

I still wear the skirt half of my wedding dress every couple years and love it. The bodice however isn't me, it was just to keep my parents happy. It's a beautiful handmade thing though, cost around £500, so reluctant to let it go. But needs someone 32E to fit it...

However I took about 50 books, more curtains, and 4 other bags of junk/outgrown baby gear to charity shops today, and have embarked on the filing cabinet. 2 recycling bags filled & on the street! It dawned on me that we've lived here 7 years so anything relating to previous house and service charges and mortgages can all go. And I even chucked out almost all bank statements etc from 1998-2005! Afraid I did keep a couple pages per year - for those future historians to have a facinating glimse into my life. I was skint and anal so each line is annotated and it is actually pretty interesting. But quite a few kilos are gone.

Up to 13 umbrellas. smile

Seeing how much fun the kids have in a clutter-free space is quite the incentive atm. Tell me they won't hate me if I get rid of loads of Thomas railway and street? Will still have loads of Brio and similar.

BoffinMum Fri 18-Jan-13 13:50:02

Queen, I paid for our holiday out of Ebay sales/PayPal account for the accommodation and Tesco vouchers for the Eurotunnel one year. It can be done, and it's very satisfying.

BoffinMum Fri 18-Jan-13 13:52:26

IWipeArses, I used to restore antique textiles professionally as a sideline, so I'd be happy to repair that for you for nothing if you can get it to me in Cambridge. I could stitch it while watching TV one evening if it's not too bad. Wouldn't take long unless you've shredded the thing.

bluecarrot Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:44

Did another round of the playroom today and sneaked out a bin bag full of stuff. DD had agreed to let the dolls house go but now Im thinking should I hold on to it for future kids (its wooden and reasonably appealing to the eye, in thats its minimalist and unfussy but furniture will need to be replaced-its the Ikea lillabo dolls house) and I have some lovely Tobar wooden dolls that go with it...hmm. Yup, decision made - its being kept along with the wooden train set and wooden jigsaws. The rest can go!

hobnob57 Sat 19-Jan-13 15:30:36

Since doing a toy clear out I managed to get all the Happyland stuff into one box.nsaid box was brought downstairs to the living room for a visitors child this week and never made it back upstairs. The kids have had more fun with it than at any point in the past year. I'm putting it down to the reclaimed space in the living room. Simplicity parenting in action smile

LemonBreeland Sat 19-Jan-13 15:38:00

Well I listed my CDs on Music Magpie, but have just saved it now to add DHs to it. My CDs aren't worth much as it is pretty mainstream stuff. DHs might be worth more, if he will get rid.

Not much to report except 2 items identified for charity shop bag!

harrietspy Sat 19-Jan-13 17:31:37

I transferred masses of loose index cards with quotes/ideas to Evernote in 20 mins. I have a suitcase full of random papers and will be doing same with them.

Also put broken table in garden for dumping, moved bedside table into another room so I can't easily watch tv on laptop at night and dug out 3 suitcases that will be freecycled or dumped.

I've also booked onto a mindfulness course that I've been wanting to do for 3 years.

HellonHeels Sat 19-Jan-13 18:31:34

Great work everyone, I'm finding just reading everyone's posts very inspiring.

I'm just back from joining the Barbican library. Knocked out by how good it is! Anyone living or working in London can join.

I've got my next two book club books on order from the stacks, will be able to get them on Tuesday. So pleased with this - money saved from not buying books and no extra books to store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now